Illinois...

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't posted pics of the flock yet. Turns out DH2B's phone is now having the same problem with his photos as my phone. Ugh. Thankfully we managed to squeeze enough money out of the budget to get both of us new phones! This weekend they should be arriving and I'll be bombarding you with pics after that. Unfortunately the pics I took with DH2B's phone last weekend only a few worked the rest show as black screens and even Google didn't save them. The ones that did work are washed out and so I'm just going to use our new phones as they will have much better cameras!

I'm super excited to not have to deal with this worthless phone any longer and I appreciate everyone's massive amounts of patience with me in the last several months.

I can't wait to have a phone I can depend on its been so long since I was able to take pictures of my nephew's and flock and pets and everything.

Some of you may remember last year I lost four years worth of pictures saved on a micro SD card when the SD card died and lost everything. We are still hoping to try and recover something from it but it could cost 600$ or more and we can't afford that right now.

Bc of my phone being on the fritz I have again lost another 6 months of photos.

This is such a tragedy. My Grandpa has Alzheimer's as some of you know and I have lost some of my best photos of him in recent years as well. My last pictures of my cat Cassie and my first pictures of my cat Luna.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. While there are much worse things in this world losing all of these photos have been incredibly difficult for me.

Hoping all is well with everyone. Still no signs of the fox. Think I got it. I hope. No more losses since the buff Orpington that the possum got.

Hopefully it stays that way.

Husband and I have been being silly playing tricks on each other today. Well, he heard the shower going and the door closed, so he snuck in to steal my towel, but instead he found McDreamy getting a steam bath. Whatever it is, it hit fast. Wondering if its crop related, since I returned to the bathroom and the treat/scratch that he had an hour before seemed to be coughed up all over the floor. Checked crop and feels ok but will check again tomorrow. Gave him some antibiotic just in case of respiratory but I don't think it is.

Wanting to order Female Muscovy's from https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com, but you have to order 15!! I only want maybe 4. To order them all females, its $131.25. I am looking for someone to split the order with! I live in Griffith, Indiana. Once ducklings are delivered, I could take the ones I want and then drop them off at the persons house who wants to split the order! But the splitter has to pay $90 for the other 11 ducklings and gets any extras! You don't have to pay until I bring them to you or you can come pick them up! Either way! Must live close for me to drop them off!

Husband and I have been being silly playing tricks on each other today. Well, he heard the shower going and the door closed, so he snuck in to steal my towel, but instead he found McDreamy getting a steam bath. Whatever it is, it hit fast. Wondering if its crop related, since I returned to the bathroom and the treat/scratch that he had an hour before seemed to be coughed up all over the floor. Checked crop and feels ok but will check again tomorrow. Gave him some antibiotic just in case of respiratory but I don't think it is.
I hope McDreamy is doing better. We had an EE under the weather several days ago with a slow crop. Hours of crop massages and she's doing a lot better but now she seems to think she's clucky. She talks and talks like a broody to chicks but has no chicks and hasn't taken to a nest. I've never seen anything like it. I'm not even sure she's laying right now. I think she's lost her marbles! Well guys it's official! Baby quail number one has hatched with 7 more to go of I did this thing right. Wondering about the count though BC by my count they're a bit early. Like 2-3 days now that's fine except I didn't stop turning them until last night. BC by my count it was the correct day. The incubator has been right on with a couple little cold spots but I've been rotating eggs. This is kind of a mystery to me. So yeah anyways we went out to do chores(I checked them just to be sure before going out and saw nothing. We never even saw a pip) came in and there in the container I'm using to hatch the quail eggs in while still turning the chicken eggs the extra couple days. Sits the tiniest little chirping thing ever and I'm dieing to take it our for a snuggle. Its like a tiny hummingbird!!! Eeek!!! Lol OK I know I'm spazzing but this is just so cool. I forgot how much I missed hatching when everything goes smoothly like it should. I hope it continues. I really would like to get to the bottom of why my incubator still says there should be 3-4 more days though. Odd. @Faraday40 How many days did the quail take in your bator? How's the silkie hatch going? More later.

Wanting to order Female Muscovy's from https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com, but you have to order 15!! I only want maybe 4. To order them all females, its $131.25. I am looking for someone to split the order with! I live in Griffith, Indiana. Once ducklings are delivered, I could take the ones I want and then drop them off at the persons house who wants to split the order! But the splitter has to pay  $90 for the other 11 ducklings and gets any extras! You don't have to pay until I bring them to you or you can come pick them up! Either way! Must live close for me to drop them off!
do u have a tractor supply around u

I hope McDreamy is doing better.

We had an EE under the weather several days ago with a slow crop. Hours of crop massages and she's doing a lot better but now she seems to think she's clucky. She talks and talks like a broody to chicks but has no chicks and hasn't taken to a nest. I've never seen anything like it. I'm not even sure she's laying right now. I think she's lost her marbles!

Well guys it's official! Baby quail number one has hatched with 7 more to go of I did this thing right. Wondering about the count though BC by my count they're a bit early. Like 2-3 days now that's fine except I didn't stop turning them until last night. BC by my count it was the correct day.

The incubator has been right on with a couple little cold spots but I've been rotating eggs. This is kind of a mystery to me.

So yeah anyways we went out to do chores(I checked them just to be sure before going out and saw nothing. We never even saw a pip) came in and there in the container I'm using to hatch the quail eggs in while still turning the chicken eggs the extra couple days. Sits the tiniest little chirping thing ever and I'm dieing to take it our for a snuggle. Its like a tiny hummingbird!!! Eeek!!!

Lol
OK I know I'm spazzing but this is just so cool. I forgot how much I missed hatching when everything goes smoothly like it should. I hope it continues. I really would like to get to the bottom of why my incubator still says there should be 3-4 more days though. Odd.

@Faraday40
How many days did the quail take in your bator? How's the silkie hatch going?

More later.
That's funny about your talking hen. I've always gotten very attached to any "house chicken" who's in for an injury/illness. I think it's b/c they no longer have their flock that they bond & act extra sweet to us. They often have conversations with me. I talk & when I pause, the chicken responds. The most recent was Mr Dummy. When I put him inside the plastic tote & covered it with a towel for the night, he'd make a grumpy sounding noise. I'd tell him to stop complaining & that it was time for bed. As soon as I finished, he'd grumble some more. Then I'd say "Don't talk back to me!" and of course he would grumble a little more. We'd continue going back & forth a few times, and this was our daily routine while he was recovering.

I think our quail took 17 days to hatch (maybe 18 at most). DD stopped turning on day 15. They seemed to all hatch at once. We went from no visible pips to 6 chicks in less than 2 hours. By the end of the day, we had 18 quail. Two days later our chicken eggs hatched & those chicks looked like giants! Keeping quail is fun, but there are more "little" things to watch out for. They are more active, eat/poop more, grow faster, and are so small that dangers can be anything. I was so worried about their tiny toes straightening out. (It's not like we could make any type of orthodic that small, but all were perfect.) Grace still loves her 4 pet quail. She takes them out back for field trips. She lets them roll around in the sand or run a little in the grass. They stay near her like a chicken which I find amazing. Albert is the friendliest. He seems to enjoy human company, but he's very rough on his 3 ladies. We may need to keep more females with him or just keep him as a pet & forget about raising quail. He's done some bloody injuries twice - to different females..

We will candle our current eggs tonight. I was so surprised that 6 of the 8 silkies are developing. They were shipped, shaken, washed, & slightly frozen. Came all the way from Texas..... They must have some tough birds down there!

Back
Top Bottom