Illinois...

Sorry to interrupt the conversation, just popping in to say hi! I am new to the whole chicken thing and pretty new to Illinois. My husband and I just moved here in August (to unincorporated Mchenry, just outside of the city of Mchenry) from Lansing MI, but we are both from Seattle Washington originally. I hope there are a few people close to me that can be good resources for me. I am very excited and cant wait to get everything going.

Maybe I will see you there. I will be looking for a few good pigeons. You will know it's me when you overhear a mild mannered man making funny/crafty remarks.
lau.gif
... You will hear and say to yourself.... " wait.... I think I know who that is,,,,,, probably "the caveman"
gig.gif

Thanks, I actually looked it up after I asked you. I have too many boys that have to go before the neighbors start opening their windows.

The Kankakee swap has also interested me. Please send out a reminder the week before & perhaps I'll be able to met you guys too!
frow.gif
I used to be a regular at Lee Watson's swap in the 1990s & then it moved to the DuPage fairgrounds. I've only been there a few times since. I'd like to go Kankakee, but have yet to experience it because of: 1. the very early start time 2. Not having anyone in the house willing to go with me & 3. worried about bringing home too many chickens. Technically, it's only DH that worried about #3 LOL

Sorry to interrupt the conversation, just popping in to say hi! I am new to the whole chicken thing and pretty new to Illinois. My husband and I just moved here in August (to unincorporated Mchenry, just outside of the city of Mchenry) from Lansing MI, but we are both from Seattle Washington originally. I hope there are a few people close to me that can be good resources for me. I am very excited and cant wait to get everything going.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome & just join in. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.

No such thing as an interruption..
highfive.gif
All are welcome here. Seeing your location I can suggest the most convenient to get feed, supplies as well as chicks. Blain's farm and fleet. Woodstock... Have been there many times to pick up feed at really nice prices. Not to mention the assortment. I usually stopped on my return from Rockford to the house.
welcome-byc.gif

The Kankakee swap has also interested me. Please send out a reminder the week before & perhaps I'll be able to met you guys too!
frow.gif
I used to be a regular at Lee Watson's swap in the 1990s & then it moved to the DuPage fairgrounds. I've only been there a few times since. I'd like to go Kankakee, but have yet to experience it because of: 1. the very early start time 2. Not having anyone in the house willing to go with me & 3. worried about bringing home too many chickens. Technically, it's only DH that worried about #3 LOL
There are 2 ways to look at the early start time. THE EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM... Which is true if you want what everyone else is after. Then If you are like me and easily satisfied with the second picks, you arrive later and stay till close. At around 11:30 AM (well not equivalent to Mickey Gilley's 1976 hit song,) you can negotiate some fine DEALS. I have purchased nursery stock plants for half price at closing. I also was able to convince a seller that I could only take a hen without a rooster. Earlier they would not separate the pairs. Caveman cant have roosters even if they were free.. All thing are dependent on turnout. It is a flea market atmosphere. I will most likely arrive about 8 or 9. It is an hour + drive for me.

So I just gave away my freshly hatched ducklings 1 mallard, 1 khaki Campbell, 2 pekins. I had one mallard left because she was twisting her head under her like she was in the egg still. But now she is all good and needs a home. I don't have any more ducklings to keep her company. And yes she is a female mallard. I vent sexed her, so I know for sure she is a female. Anyone live near Gary, Indiana zip 46406?

frow.gif

Hi and Welcome! Just getting started is exciting, and then every spring is exciting, either hatching or seeing baby chicks for sale. Do you have any breeds picked out.

It would be such a fun day if a bunch of us could meet up!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome & just join in. There are plenty of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.

Last edited:
Quail hatch is over 8/8! Yay!!! Amazingly 5 are browns and 3 look like they're be white like the a&ms. Incredibly (although I don't know much about quail genetics yet) my female is white and she's in with two white males and one brown one. I also don't think I've ever seen her bred by the brown so I was very surprised.

The last three quail did require a bit of help all three of them ended up with a wing stuck to the membrane. Two of them looked to have pipped into small veins and become stuck due to that. My guess is when I first upped the humidity is when they become stuck or at least the third one. I'm glad I looked. I was tipped off when one of them started zipping but didn't go further than maybe a centimeter. Turns out the little one couldn't go any further, as these were the last three and none had made any progress in over 24 hours I decided to investigate. They're all sleeping comfortably and will be moved tonight. I'm so glad I checked and I'm so in love with these little babies I've been dieing to pull them out for a cuddle!

Still I was good I gently and carefully chipped shell away and unstuck their wing and then placed them back in the Bator to go the rest of the way themselves.

Pics later. Got my new phone! Yay. Of course no one wanted to cooperate today for photos but I got some to share and will continue to do so.

First pic is the younger single barred chocolate cuckoo cockeral

Cream legbar pullet

Black Orp cockeral should be one of the two black split to chocolate and mottled boys. I believe I only have those two black boys out with the flock.

White sport cream legbar hen

Here's just a few of the pics I snapped today. You'll have to excuse the poor pics the wind wasn't helping. The girls have some bare backs and feather damage from the cocks. We got our first chicken saddles in the mail this weekend too so we'll be putting them on over the next several days. Once the breeding pens are set up that will help too. Didn't get any cockerals processed this weekend hopefully this week we can do some more.

Oopsie's sister has been spending nearly all of her time in the nest boxes. I think she's going broody. Lol

More later guys! Ttyl

Last edited:
Quail hatch is over 8/8! Yay!!! Amazingly 5 are browns and 3 look like they're be white like the a&ms. Incredibly (although I don't know much about quail genetics yet) my female is white and she's in with two white males and one brown one. I also don't think I've ever seen her bred by the brown so I was very surprised.
The last three quail did require a bit of help all three of them ended up with a wing stuck to the membrane. Two of them looked to have pipped into small veins and become stuck due to that. My guess is when I first upped the humidity is when they become stuck or at least the third one. I'm glad I looked. I was tipped off when one of them started zipping but didn't go further than maybe a centimeter. Turns out the little one couldn't go any further, as these were the last three and none had made any progress in over 24 hours I decided to investigate. They're all sleeping comfortably and will be moved tonight. I'm so glad I checked and I'm so in love with these little babies I've been dieing to pull them out for a cuddle!

Still I was good I gently and carefully chipped shell away and unstuck their wing and then placed them back in the Bator to go the rest of the way themselves.

Pics later. Got my new phone! Yay. Of course no one wanted to cooperate today for photos but I got some to share and will continue to do so.

Very pretty!

Here's just a few of the pics I snapped today. You'll have to excuse the poor pics the wind wasn't helping. The girls have some bare backs and feather damage from the cocks. We got our first chicken saddles in the mail this weekend too so we'll be putting them on over the next several days. Once the breeding pens are set up that will help too. Didn't get any cockerals processed this weekend hopefully this week we can do some more.

Oopsie's sister has been spending nearly all of her time in the nest boxes. I think she's going broody. Lol
I thought that too about Oopsie, but it seems that she just takes a long, long time to lay her eggs. Or perhaps she's faking it to get more prestige among the hens or to make the roos leave her alone. She's never spent the night in the nest box, so I'm not taking her seriously. Today the little stinker was hogging the 4th box for the entire morning. There was a line of hens waiting & pacing around the coop. The CCL decided not to wait any longer & doubled up in Oopsie's box. The sisters argued for a moment, but neither would leave.
hu.gif

More later guys! Ttyl

frow.gif

Hi and Welcome! Just getting started is exciting, and then every spring is exciting, either hatching or seeing baby chicks for sale. Do you have any breeds picked out.

It would be such a fun day if a bunch of us could meet up!
I actually got sucked into the chicks at Big R this weekend lol. We got a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Amberlink, Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger (she was labeled Ameraucana but I doubt that). They are in our spare room, eating, drinking and pooping like crazy. We are considering going to our max 6 chickens with some bantams next week.... but they are straight run and we are concerned what to do if we get a roo :/ The inlaws are visiting in a few weeks and bringing us a bunch of power tools, so coop building can commence.

Another of one the black boys

Little Draco my sdw Oegb

Lavender boy from @faraday40

Another pic of one of the black boys from @junibutt the other bird pictured is the blue legbar Orp mix cockeral

Another of the mix

Paint silkie pullet she looks much better in person

Jazzy aka Jasmine

Cream legbar pullet again and a speckled Sussex pullet, Merida

I had to share this pic. cl pullet from @meepbeep via Faraday40 she was shaking out her feathers and the wind was blowing lol

This is I guess what a frizzled CL would look like. Lol

SLW pullet also more beautiful in person

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom