Illinois...

@chickendreams24
BTW- What color was your quail chick? Any more yet?

@ChicagoClucker
How's McDreamy?

McDreamy is fine and back to normal, mounting the girls and chasing off Mr. Wonderful. I am thinking he had a sunflower seed or nut stuck in his throat from his treats. Thanks for asking, and glad to hear the indestructible silkie eggs are doing well. I am just itching to hatch some babies, but I keep telling myself to wait.

Congrats on the quail hatch @chickendreams24 , hope the rest hatch as easily.

The good news is that besides some crazy-looking air cells, the remaining 6 silkie eggs are still developing. I hope they are able to hatch out OK. The bad news is that only only 1 Oopsie egg remains in the incubator. (Not sure on development b/c the shell is thick.) The CCL's & the bantam orp's eggs were also clear, but they're tiny, fast hens, so the roos rarely catch them. I'm guessing my flock needs some butt trims. That usually helps with fertility. The recent change in pecking order may also be a cause. Maybe the roos were too busy chasing each other than to mate the hens.

The good news is that besides some crazy-looking air cells, the remaining 6 silkie eggs are still developing. I hope they are able to hatch out OK. The bad news is that only only 1 Oopsie egg remains in the incubator. (Not sure on development b/c the shell is thick.) The CCL's & the bantam orp's eggs were also clear, but they're tiny, fast hens, so the roos rarely catch them. I'm guessing my flock needs some butt trims. That usually helps with fertility. The recent change in pecking order may also be a cause. Maybe the roos were too busy chasing each other than to mate the hens.

So does that screw up your DD experiment with only Oopsie's egg remaining? And I have had my fair share of shipped eggs with loose or wonky air cells and some did ok, if you pay attention at lockdown and watch where that air cell it at.

@chickendreams24

BTW- What color was your quail chick?  Any more yet?

@ChicagoClucker

How's McDreamy? 

We have three baby quail so far all of which are Pharaoh colored. I'm surprised considering we have the white female and two white males and then the one Pharaoh male. I'm kind of glad we are getting some Pharaohs right now as we are planning to process the last two spare males this weekend. Really I want some tuxedos though.

I can't wait to see what you guys get to hatch for silkies. I'm still hoping to add a couple more silkies this year, myself I just don't know where I'll get the eggs or chicks from yet. Ideally I'd like a buff and/or bbs pullet or two maybe another paint. Idk. Silkies are great fun and sweet little chickens. Our partridge and two white/gray girls are just super super sweet. Our paint silkie is very sweet but due to her huge crest she's a bit more shy.

McDreamy is fine and back to normal, mounting the girls and chasing off Mr. Wonderful. I am thinking he had a sunflower seed or nut stuck in his throat from his treats. Thanks for asking, and glad to hear the indestructible silkie eggs are doing well. I am just itching to hatch some babies, but I keep telling myself to wait.

Congrats on the quail hatch @chickendreams24
, hope the rest hatch as easily.

Thanks and glad McDreamy is doing better!

The good news is that besides some crazy-looking air cells, the remaining 6 silkie eggs are still developing.  I hope they are able to hatch out OK.  The bad news is that only only 1 Oopsie egg remains in the incubator. (Not sure on development b/c the shell is thick.)  The CCL's & the bantam orp's eggs were also clear, but they're tiny, fast hens, so the roos rarely catch them.   I'm guessing my flock needs some butt trims.  That usually helps with fertility. The recent change in pecking order may also be a cause.  Maybe the roos were too busy chasing each other than to mate the hens.

Excited to see what your quail and silkies look like and I can't wait to see how Oopsie's chick looks. :)

Yes I do! I asked my local Tractor Supply and they said they get the ducks they get. And I asked if they could put in a special order for Muscovy ducks, but according to their hatchery they use, they do not have Muscovy's...

Not sure what breed these were but there were quite a few available at the Kankakee County Fairgrounds last time I was there. You can say it may be a HIT or MISS. NOTHING IS GUARANTEED, BUT AT LEAST YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY 15 CHICKS.

Not sure what breed these were but there were quite a few available at the Kankakee County Fairgrounds last time I was there. You can say it may be a HIT or MISS. NOTHING IS GUARANTEED, BUT AT LEAST YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY 15 CHICKS.

Is the Kankakee County fairgrounds going already? I have some bantam cochins I need to sell.

Maybe I will see you there. I will be looking for a few good pigeons. You will know it's me when you overhear a mild mannered man making funny/crafty remarks.
lau.gif
... You will hear and say to yourself.... " wait.... I think I know who that is,,,,,, probably "the caveman"
gig.gif

Maybe I will see you there. I will be looking for a few good pigeons. You will know it's me when you overhear a mild mannered man making funny/crafty remarks.
lau.gif
... You will hear and say to yourself.... " wait.... I think I know who that is,,,,,, probably "the caveman"
gig.gif
lau.gif
you are a funny/clever man! I have never done a swap/sell something thing, so it should be interesting. It would be a plus if I get to meet another BYC member.

Back
Top Bottom