Illinois...

:thumbsup
Yes. I'm probably that lady.

The kids & I were hatching a lot of chicks in the local schools & also for DD's 4H poultry sci project. DD ended up winning Best in Show at the DuPage Fair & went on to win all the highest at the IL State Fair as well. (Proud mommy here.)

View attachment 1165342
View attachment 1165343 View attachment 1165349 View attachment 1165350
View attachment 1165341
Our son is still in Cloverbuds & so ready to move up. He already does his own creative projects at home by building his crazy inventions, home-made rockets/boats/planes, computer programming and circuits in addition to caring for his pet chickens. The boy is scary smart. This week he's learning about probability & applying it to chicken genetics. Last week he made a Rube Goldberg-like automatic chicken waterer in the backyard. It worked too! Did I mention that he's only 7?

I love to see pics of our chickens all grown up. Feel free to post as many as you like!
:love

If you have any extra orps in the future, I'd love to take some off your hands! :)

I'd love to find someone locally who has lavender, blue, or mauve orps! :)
I have lavender, black, & blue orps. (I sold all my choc & choc cuckoo orps.) My mauve orp is technically a "sport" and she carries the white gene. She's made some beautiful offspring - like my BIG blue english orp in the pic above with my son. Depending on her mate, she has the potential to produce a fun rainbow of colors. I also am growing out some silver laced & blue laced orps.

My "Mr. Wonderful"
IMG_4927.JPG

edited to add that I'm in DuPage county = in the western Chicago suburbs

Last edited:
I may have some lav orps for sale in the near future. Over half of my last hatch sold within 12 hrs after hatch. I want to keep a male chick for myself, so I took my ad down and decided to wait for them to grow out before deciding which one to keep. I have some people whom I promised to call once I know genders and have made the decision. If they change their mind or decide to wait until 2018, I'll post some pics here. Otherwise you can send me a PM about chicks in the spring. I hope to breed my orps & will be incubating in several classrooms.

Sorry for taking over the thread today, but I have another funny story to share.

DS was Student of the week and shared a little about himself & of course his chickens. Today he received a cute memory book from his classmates. It was very sweet and will be cherished. However it did tell me that we need to invite a couple of his classmates over to play, so they may see what real chickens look like. LOL

I really enjoy children's abstract art.
IMG_4985.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG

Yes they are Abbey and Houdini
They only like my kids especially my daughter and through toddler fits when it's bedtime or free range over because of a red tail
Is Houdini the EE? (I'm guessing there's a reason for that name, right?)

The EE's biological mother was likely Tyrion, who has a strong, quirky personality. She likes to go squirrel-chasing for sport and is fearless around strangers. She steals sandwiches & cookies right out of the hands of children (often when not being offered). As the smallest & last chick from her brood, we thought Tyrion was a little roo. From inside the brooder, she pecked our 100lb dog right in the nose and sent him running. Because of her confidence & small stature, the chick was named Tyrion. We enjoyed the chick's daily antics and decided to keep "him" until he started crowing. At 5 mo old, Tyrion laid an egg instead, but we couldn't change the name at that point. When she was about a year old, she helped the rooster chase a Coopers Hawk away. She's 4 yrs now & I never really believed that she'd survive this long through all of her curious, crazy adventures. I hope you enjoy a silly, inquisitive bird.

Back
Top Bottom