Illinois...

Because of her confidence & small stature, the chick was named Tyrion. We enjoyed the chick's daily antics and decided to keep "him" until he started crowing. At 5 mo old, Tyrion laid an egg instead, but we couldn't change the name at that point

Where theres a will theres a way.. TYRIONNA...... :highfive:

hawk day. I was cleaning up from freezer camp and heard the roos give an alarm.. I walked over and seen a flash of brown and broody + chicken nuggets running in the now empty bachelor pad... I hopped the 3' dividing fence, not sure how this old lady did that, and found a type of hawk I hadn't seen on a 7wk br pullet.. I ran swearing and the hawk went up to a tree... Blood out of the mouth, rt eye closed and torn skin on rt side of the neck. .. put her in a crate w/heating pad, a few hrs later she was walking around , didn't drink until I gave an eyedropper in her mouth... 7hrs later she is still alive, will see how she is in the morning..
Hawk did come back quickly and was on the ground by the attack site and back another time doing a fly over until the jays went after him.
looking at a bird book..It might have been a red shoulder , it was about the size of a small coopers hawk.. but brown and had bars on the tail.
broody and the other 10 chicken nuggets are locked in the bachelor pad coop.. the nuggets are not happy about that.

Lived in Maryville Illinois near St. Louis and just moved across the river to Missouri. I have a flock of ducks and just recently rescued a female Muscovy. Does anyone have a female Muscovy they are trying to rehome, or know of anyone that is trying to rehome a female one?

hawk day. I was cleaning up from freezer camp and heard the roos give an alarm.. I walked over and seen a flash of brown and broody + chicken nuggets running in the now empty bachelor pad... I hopped the 3' dividing fence, not sure how this old lady did that, and found a type of hawk I hadn't seen on a 7wk br pullet.. I ran swearing and the hawk went up to a tree... Blood out of the mouth, rt eye closed and torn skin on rt side of the neck. .. put her in a crate w/heating pad, a few hrs later she was walking around , didn't drink until I gave an eyedropper in her mouth... 7hrs later she is still alive, will see how she is in the morning..
Hawk did come back quickly and was on the ground by the attack site and back another time doing a fly over until the jays went after him.
looking at a bird book..It might have been a red shoulder , it was about the size of a small coopers hawk.. but brown and had bars on the tail.
broody and the other 10 chicken nuggets are locked in the bachelor pad coop.. the nuggets are not happy about that.

Did the injured little chicken make it?
Is the hawk still on a stake out in your yard or has it moved on? (The Coopers Hawks are the worst b/c they will stay for weeks. The bigger ones often just do a daily fly by.)

Enjoying the wonderful bonus weather we are having. While sitting on the patio, thought I'd share some things.
For the legal disclosure :lau that I recognize I am on a chicken forum, must include this pix.
IMG_20171021_110517517_HDR.jpg

My faithful pet LV chilling with me. All my pets have names. LV = Lil Vagrant. :lau
IMG_20171021_105451904.jpg

Fed the squirrels.
IMG_20171017_122927943 (1).jpg

Now I'm thinking, how much longer before I need to take down my flowers? Keep track of weather on news to see when first frost will arrive. All my hanging baskets I take into utility room for overwintering. In the Spring they go back out. They initially look kind of sad, but start to regrow new shoots soon. I cut off the dead twigs once I see where new growth is coming from.
IMG_20171021_110703772_HDR.jpg

And last but not least. My novel way to grow container plants. I do need to move around so when my chicken come grazing in the area, there is still some left for our use. These containers grow sorrel. A vegetable similar to spinach. Tastes somewhat different. We use it to make soup. DW keeps picking the leaves and placing into freezer bags for later use. Grows all summer, so new leaves keep appearing. Family members also take some . Not many peeps are familiar with sorrel, just as I am not familiar with some of the other plants they plant in their garden. These pots will stay outdoor and winter over well. When I grew it in the garden rather than in containers, it got overgrow with other weeds, as well as eaten by chickens to the ground.:hit
IMG_20171021_110719034.jpg

Thanks for sharing. "Sorrel" is new to me. Never heard of it, so I looked it up. Now I am interested in trying some next year!

Do you bring your flowers into a climate control room or is it more like a garage (freezing but not as severe)? We bring our big hibiscus inside the living room. No southern exposure, so it gets pretty twiggy by April. I always try to bring some of my herb containers inside, but they always die on me by Christmas. My mother was the one with the green thumb - skipped me. When someone gives me a house plant, it's basically a death sentence. However, if they're for the garden, the plants will probably do very well.

so @cavemanrich :
You posted all those pics.... and none of your flock! :eek:

Well this is all that I have now.
IMG_20170730_182012504.jpg

They are all on STRIKE. DW buying eggs from store. Still cant believe that the price is under $1 per dozen. Not Whole Foods BTW. :lau
If I do decide to build a larger coop next year, I may kick up the number max 10. I really do want a pair of Icelandic hens from @NotAFarm . It just did not happen this year. When I had extra eggs, I just gave away to certain neighbors. Others were only interested in store eggs, so I passed on them. I know you treat your neighbors with eggs:)

I bring the flowers into our utility room that was a former attached garage. On very cold nights, the temps could drop to freezing. If that is to occur, I provide heat to keep laundry tub and machine from freezing. Usually it is moderate temperature.
We had a hibiscus plant for years years years. Always brought it into living room. Finally from old age, it bit the dust. DW did not shed 1 tear over the loss.
Sorrel seeds are tricky to find. In the springtime I get mine from a European deli near me. They seem to sell quickly since their supplies are small. I will buy an envelope or 2 and send it US mail to you this spring. Those pots I planted were in spring. They will keep coming back yearly once established and nothing destroys them. Container grown is my choice since I can feed them and water them with less effort than in garden.

Well this is all that I have now.
View attachment 1170384
They are all on STRIKE. DW buying eggs from store. Still cant believe that the price is under $1 per dozen. Not Whole Foods BTW. :lau
If I do decide to build a larger coop next year, I may kick up the number max 10. I really do want a pair of Icelandic hens from @NotAFarm . It just did not happen this year. When I had extra eggs, I just gave away to certain neighbors. Others were only interested in store eggs, so I passed on them. I know you treat your neighbors with eggs:)

I bring the flowers into our utility room that was a former attached garage. On very cold nights, the temps could drop to freezing. If that is to occur, I provide heat to keep laundry tub and machine from freezing. Usually it is moderate temperature.
We had a hibiscus plant for years years years. Always brought it into living room. Finally from old age, it bit the dust. DW did not shed 1 tear over the loss.
Sorrel seeds are tricky to find. In the springtime I get mine from a European deli near me. They seem to sell quickly since their supplies are small. I will buy an envelope or 2 and send it US mail to you this spring. Those pots I planted were in spring. They will keep coming back yearly once established and nothing destroys them. Container grown is my choice since I can feed them and water them with less effort than in garden.

Thanks for the offer of the seeds. If you ever want to visit in person, I can share some raspberry plants & some basil that returns every year. Both are super easy to grow & simply get mowed when they spread beyond their gardens into the grass area.

Glad to see your flock is happy, but the egg strike is a bummer. I wormed mine, so we missed most of October. Although I saved up an egg stash before the dewormer, I did run out and had to get some eggs from @chickendreams24 a couple weeks ago. Now we can eat our eggs again but production's down. A few are laying, but I don't have any extras for the neighbors. It doesn't help that not one but 2 of my spring pullets are playing mommy right now. I'll post some pics later. The chicks are almost 5 weeks & I can't see any definite male combs & all have little wattles. (Very strange for my lav orps. Usually I can take a good guess by 3.5 weeks.) This hatch is reminding me of "Jewel." = My giant blue orp whose gender seemed to change on a daily basis until 8-9 weeks. Perhaps I should allow DD to play dress up again!
Remember these?
jewel 2 copy.jpg jewel 4 copy.jpg
What's also funny is that Jewel is one of my current broodies. The other is DD's Gilfie.
gilfie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom