Illinois...

You know your lawn needs mowing when.....
.....your large dog lays down in the grass and disappears.
View attachment 1399322 View attachment 1399321

I hope you're all laughing WITH me.

I love this!! It's so our yard before we mowed yesterday except it was the great Dane disappearing.

Well, looks like i had the predator impact as well last night.
I finished by chicken yard extension last weekend but neglected to firmly tack down an old door opening. Last night a raccoon ripped it open, got in and took the bantam cochin and my SL wynadotte. Boy I really hate that feeling!
I'm sorry chickens!! :hit

Well don't we all love miracles! Look who just walked upView attachment 1399870

Oh goodness! Yay for miracles I'm glad one of them made it home. Still I'm sorry for your loss.

A very sad morning : Our dear, old Mr Dummy-Pants died last night. it was also a blessing. He was failing and not walking much. He didn't eat/drink yesterday, so I knew I'd have to put him down today. He died and spared me the additional pain of killing my beloved pet. He was our all-time favorite rooster and became a pet after he could no longer breed. He was amazing! He was very patient with kids, a gentleman with the hens, a great flock leader & guardian, the peace-maker, big, & stunningly beautiful. He is the rooster that all of our future roosters will be compared to. I can't find words to describe my feelings. He will forever be missed.

RIP my friend.
View attachment 1400966 View attachment 1400967 View attachment 1400968 View attachment 1400965

DD is taking it very hard. Although we all loved him, he was technically HER rooster. Yesterday she gently carried her big smelly buddy inside to watch TV together. She hugged him as she cried. Then she placed him on the floor next to her. That old rooster used what little strength he had to stand up and walk over to her for hugs when he saw her crying. He was trying to get back into her lap. That basically sums up why we loved him. He always acted more like a dog than a rooster.

Poor Dummy. He will be very fondly remembered on this thread and by myself especially. His legacy lives on in his babies that have been spread far and wide. I'm glad that you didn't have to end his suffering and that he's at peace now.

Farady40 - :hit And here I am with my coffee to do an intro here.

Bellaisa - while I have space enough for more chicks (so my broodies get fertile eggs), I have placed ceramic eggs in the freezer (then put under broody) to try and help kick off the hormones. Worked for me when a broody tried to start in February! :eek: That's way too soon for baby chicks to be running around in the snow here!

Hello Life Is Good you kinda came in at a sad moment on the thread. I'm from southern WI but spend a lot of my time on BYC here on the Illinois thread with my BYC friends. We've always seemed like a little family here to me. :)

So what color would you call this orp below? (Ignore the marker on head) It feels like I traveled back in time & hatched Oopsie all over again. (Oopsie looked mauve at hatch but feathered in white.)

I thought this chick came from my blue silver laced orp female - who was in with my SLO. Could be very, very light blue silver laced orp.....

OR

The chicks move around a lot after hatch, and perhaps I marked her incorrectly when I moved her into the brooder. I also hatched Jewel's eggs (Oopsie's daughter) in the same incubator. I had 2 blk/lav splits mating her, and one of them is a cousin. I may have confirmed that both Jewel & her cousin carry Oopsie's rare recessive white gene.
IMG_9422.JPG

Hello, I just made an account. I live in DeKalb, IL and if any of you do not know, DeKalb currently does not allow backyard chickens so I joined in hopes of getting more educated and support to change the ordinance!
:frow
I just drove by DeKalb yesterday. (Spent a lot of time in construction along I-88.)

I just don't understand why people in the city of Chicago can have chickens (even roosters) but suburban and rural areas have a lot more restrictions. Each area is different. For years our town actually had chicken ordinances that directly contradicted each other.

:frow
I just drove by DeKalb yesterday. (Spent a lot of time in construction along I-88.)

I just don't understand why people in the city of Chicago can have chickens (even roosters) but suburban and rural areas have a lot more restrictions. Each area is different. For years our town actually had chicken ordinances that directly contradicted each other.
The Eastbound construct is a real nuisance :( I can understand part of the reason that the Southwestern part of town is a university town but even then, it doesn't take too much time and effort to write clauses that address these problems.

Welcome to BYC for all the newbies

More poults and chicks hatching under a broody.. I have seen a brown and a yellow poult and a black chick... she had 6 and 6 and the 2 turkeys I seen yesterday.. today is hatch day, so the turkeys were early.

someone posted a incubation problem chart and I thought I would share @Faraday40
http://animalsciencey.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs33.htm

BTW- I'm only partially joking. I have a lot of broody hens trying to repopulate the world with more chickens. A little over a doz eggs will go into lockdown tonight. (These were supposed to be my gold laced orps, but only 1 egg was fertile. Black, blue, lav, & silver laced orps are still nice.) Then I have my rogue broodies who are due to be hatching June 9th. Lastly Trouble (name says it all) went broody but 3 in a nest would br too crowded. I decided to have some fun & gave her some turkey eggs. Technically the turkey eggs are divided up among the 3 hens, but I'll move them later once I know if they're developing.

Back
Top Bottom