Illinois...

Well, looks like i had the predator impact as well last night.
I finished by chicken yard extension last weekend but neglected to firmly tack down an old door opening. Last night a raccoon ripped it open, got in and took the bantam cochin and my SL wynadotte. Boy I really hate that feeling!
I'm sorry chickens!! :hit

I finished by chicken yard extension last weekend but neglected to firmly tack down an old door opening. Last night a raccoon ripped it open, got in and took the bantam cochin and my SL wynadotte. Boy I really hate that feeling!
I'm so sorry!
:hugs

:hit:hugs
So sorry for you loss

Well don't we all love miracles! Look who just walked up IMG_20180522_124429916.jpg

Any ideas on how to break a broody? I have a RIR that has been in a dog kennel put on 4X4's to get air under her. This is the 1st time I have had a broody. Initially we thought egg bound since she refused to leave the nest; so we soaked her in epson salt. Since then she has been in the dog kennel and I have given a cold bath. I let her out every day but she just goes right back to the nesting box. It has been 4 days now. Do I just need to be more patient or is there something else I can do?

Any ideas on how to break a broody? I have a RIR that has been in a dog kennel put on 4X4's to get air under her. This is the 1st time I have had a broody. Initially we thought egg bound since she refused to leave the nest; so we soaked her in epson salt. Since then she has been in the dog kennel and I have given a cold bath. I let her out every day but she just goes right back to the nesting box. It has been 4 days now. Do I just need to be more patient or is there something else I can do?
I've done both the cold baths & the broody-breaking cage. The bath is a quick fix for a mild broody. The cage usually works in time but may take 4-8 days. Just keep her in there on the wire floor open to air (with food & water of course). If the weather is hot, it can take longer.

However, others with more experience may have better advice. I've got an outbreak of broody-fever going on here! I may not be the best to answer your question.
Cookie - just left her chicks on Sunday (because they were 8 wks & I sold them :oops:)
Smudge - hatched chicks this weekend & also adopted all the chicks from the incubator
PR - went broody for the 1st time, so after a week of kicking her off the nest, I let her have a few eggs as a trial.
Xansie - let her chicks go, laid eggs for 2 weeks & is now broody AGAIN! (She's a small silkie, so I just put her in the same nest with PR. They can share the eggs & chicks!)

* By the time the eggs hatch, I bet Cookie will be broody again

Trouble (my Sebright) - doesn't want to feel left out, so she's been squawking, puffy, and trying to steal eggs. As soon as a hen lays an egg, Trouble hops on top! If she stays broody, I may let her join PR & Xansie in raising their chicks or really confuse her & give her a turkey egg. Note: Sebrights are not supposed to be a broody breed. Trouble can't read, so she doesn't know that fact.

Back
Top Bottom