Illinois...

Anyone has any experience with Silkies in northern Illinois?
Our goofy buff silkie bird name Q-Tip is older than the big girls, but has not started laying yet. The other 6 (GLW, RIR, BR, etc) have started laying within a week of each other in December, but Q-Tip is not. She can't climb into the coop so DH made her a little house in the run, full of straw to give her a place to be in bad weather and maybe to lay eggs.
But no luck. She stays most of the time out in the rain/snow (the run is covered but if the weather is really bad, it gets wet in there) and has not started laying. AI read that they start late, but we worry that there might be another reason... Anyone has any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't be of any help, never had any silkies, but maybe tbitt will chime in....I know she has some!

Anyone has any experience with Silkies in northern Illinois?
Our goofy buff silkie bird name Q-Tip is older than the big girls, but has not started laying yet. The other 6 (GLW, RIR, BR, etc) have started laying within a week of each other in December, but Q-Tip is not. She can't climb into the coop so DH made her a little house in the run, full of straw to give her a place to be in bad weather and maybe to lay eggs.
But no luck. She stays most of the time out in the rain/snow (the run is covered but if the weather is really bad, it gets wet in there) and has not started laying. AI read that they start late, but we worry that there might be another reason... Anyone has any suggestions?
Mine were the first ones to start laying this year. They've laid enough, I'm suprised they haven't gone broody yet-- prob cuz I want them too. Seems when it gets really cold- they quit-- and start back up the next week.

Originally, it took my silkies forever to start laying-- they were even slower maturing than the Cornish were.././

Funny, I have the same thing going on. I got a few silkie eggs here and there...the cold set in and *poof* no more silkie eggs PERIOD!

Mine also like to hang outside sunning themselves, even when it is cold outside….they like to hang out in the sun. When it does get bad, they will go inside. So, they are not as dumb as everyone says….they just have very few needs/demands…they are pretty easy going/nonchalant.

They do seem to take a lot longer to start laying. I got a few 7- 8 month old hens that had just started to lay.

NotAFarm, that splash female that you hatched for last years Easter hatch, she has yet to give me an egg. She just reached the point I thought she was going to...and the cold hit!
hmm.png
I sure do not understand how people are breeding these things and GETTING ANY! It takes them forever to lay, and then they don't lay for a darn!
duc.gif

Funny, I have the same thing going on. I got a few silkie eggs here and there...the cold set in and *poof* no more silkie eggs PERIOD!

Mine also like to hang outside sunning themselves, even when it is cold outside….they like to hang out in the sun. When it does get bad, they will go inside. So, they are not as dumb as everyone says….they just have very few needs/demands…they are pretty easy going/nonchalant.

They do seem to take a lot longer to start laying. I got a few 7- 8 month old hens that had just started to lay.

NotAFarm, that splash female that you hatched for last years Easter hatch, she has yet to give me an egg. She just reached the point I thought she was going to...and the cold hit!
hmm.png
I sure do not understand how people are breeding these things and GETTING ANY! It takes them forever to lay, and then they don't lay for a darn!
duc.gif
My silkies typically lay good-- for three days.. and then they go broody... poof like that!

I've got about 10 eggs from my 'bators this winter each-- but it's been so random due to the cold none- have gone broody yet.

I'd like to get a few more- haven't decided to keep some half breeds, or try and find a cocky little silkie roo to make my own. We'll see how last year's Cornish x Silkie hens lay and brood before making that decision.

The only bad part about making my own-- going to need a bigger chicken house with additional breeding pens... bummer, just built a new one- brand new-- and already out grew it.

The only bad part about making my own-- going to need a bigger chicken house with additional breeding pens... bummer, just built a new one- brand new-- and already out grew it.

I'm not sure, but I think Chicken houses are like expensive cloths......they shrink right after you start to use them!
barnie.gif

I'm not sure, but I think Chicken houses are like expensive cloths......they shrink right after you start to use them!
barnie.gif
Is that like my husband saying the dryer shrunk his jeans?

I've got that chicken coop problem. I already need another one and have only been back into chickens for 6 months...........and now I need quail pens too.
idunno.gif

Ya.... I have been planting the seed that we need another coop soon....lets see how well I am doing in a few months.
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom