Illinois...

We need to move from Illinois to AR with our 3 dogs and our 7 darling girls. I think that we need some kind of chicken crate to have them travel safely, but not very sure what kind. I have seen some hard plastic "low crates" in chicken/livestock catalogs but we will use them only once, and I was wondering if someone has a suggestion, or even better the right containers in used condition for sale for not too much money. Any suggestion/help is welcome. thanks!
Sorry to see you leave. When I travel to shows with numerous birds ( and you didn't say how many or are the "darling girls" your hens?) I use a large dog crate. It has a floor space of about 2.5 foot by 4foot. and is high. I had it for my 100lb dog. When showing more than 1 cock, I use a separator made with cardboard but just 7 LF hens will be fine with each other in this manner for a trip of 24 hours or less. The height, side vents and front grille allows them to not be too warm. Throw a generous amount of shavings down for footing.
Denise
Paradise Found

Heritage Bourbon Red & Standard Bronze Turkey Poults (chicks) available NPIP certified. We don't ship live birds they would be pick up only with no minimum order. PM if interested
Wilmington, IL
I would like to chime in on Chris' Franzen Farms too. I have visited this farm as a tester and found it to be the cleanest farm I have ever visited. Franzen Farms has great pride in their birds and it shows at every opportunity. The birds are beautiful!
Denise
Paradise Found

I would like to chime in on Chris' Franzen Farms too. I have visited this farm as a tester and found it to be the cleanest farm I have ever visited. Franzen Farms has great pride in their birds and it shows at every opportunity. The birds are beautiful!
Denise
Paradise Found

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the compliment Denise
thumbsup.gif

Anyone looking to get their birds NPIP certified give Denise a shout she comes out to your farm and tests your birds and does a great job.

What kind of plucker did you pick up? I have been wanting to get one for our Turkeys Instead of doing it the old fashion way that takes up too much time and energy. They sure ain't cheep either.

No they aren't! I went with a mid-range plucker, one that can handle chickens and turkeys. It can do a few chickens at once or 1 turkey. Went with a company called EZPlucker, And after reading their instructions manual I realized that I should've supported an American made plucker company har har har. The directions have horrible English haha. The plucker itself feels and looks well made which is more important than grammer.. I'll be testing it out aka plucking 100 chickens within a few weeks, I'll let you know how it works out! Last year was my first adventure into broilers, and the last time I'll ever pluck feathers by hand ;) It took longer to hand pluck a chicken than it did to clean/gut 3-5 chickens. I attended the Mother Earth News convention in PA last year and witnessed pluckers first hand, I fell in love!

Where is your farm located?

Sorry to see you leave. When I travel to shows with numerous birds ( and you didn't say how many or are the "darling girls" your hens?) I use a large dog crate. It has a floor space of about 2.5 foot by 4foot. and is high. I had it for my 100lb dog. When showing more than 1 cock, I use a separator made with cardboard but just 7 LF hens will be fine with each other in this manner for a trip of 24 hours or less. The height, side vents and front grille allows them to not be too warm. Throw a generous amount of shavings down for footing.
Denise
Paradise Found
That's a great idea! Yes, the darlings are our hens, we are so fond of them and don't want to make a mistake... we have an old dog fabric crate that would work very well for the trip, which should take about 12 hours. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

A few of us will be taking a trip down to southern Illinois in the fall…

Is it bad that I want to go chicken shopping while I am down there?

Anyone know of some private places we can go to, to purchase some? Making arrangements beforehand of course.

www.Chickenscratchpoultry.com is very nice, but too much money for me.
If you are headed down Hwy 55, I am just off the highway an hour south of Springfield, IL. This fall I should have some Light & Coronation Sussex and a few varieties of Bantam Cochins, but I can't tell you what varieties will available and which ones we are keeping until we get closer to fall. You can stop in and say hello
frow.gif

Thought I would post this link for you guys too. A BYC interactive member map! If you are interested we would love to see your dot added. A member named Ken started this map and it has been in use for a while in the Tx thread.
For the most part, this is not a good idea. We had a BYC person, just appear at our place over the course of months- several times. Ended up police got involved, and he hopefully won't be back ever again.

Back
Top Bottom