Illinois...

Wish that were an option..but the new house is in the city limits..wont be moving again for a while.
I don't know if it is allowed or just overlooked but I have heard chickens in Peoria.My brother in law and family live there and a few years ago they lived in a neighborhood where there were some within crowing distance.I never went to see but don't give up hope.

I'm in between Springfield and Quincy, and I just moved my 7 week old pullets to the big coop outside. I had no idea when I got my babies how impatient I am. I really want to see some eggs now! I might be interested in adding a few laying hens if any appear for sale in my area.

I have had some people tell me to just do it...that's what most seem to be doing. Which as long as your neighbors aren't complaining, I guess would be fine. Anyone know how to "de crow" a rooster??
lol.png

I skimmed the code for Peoria and it seemed pretty clear :(

My suggestion would be to call the city for information WITHOUT GIVING IDENTIFYING INFORMATION. Find out if they really are forbidden, if it's enforced, if there's the possibility of getting a permit or zoning exemption. Then you can make a fully informed decision on what you want to do. And the reason to not give any information? If you do decide to fly "under the radar," they don't know who or where you are.

Here's a health question for you knowledgeable chicken wranglers. Our almost-a-year-old RIR sounds like she has the hick ups. She behaves totally normally, eats, is active, etc, but once in a while she makes a funny sound, like a short cough. It started a few days ago. Anyone has an idea of what it might be?

Anyone in the Peoria area have any fertilized eggs to spare? We had to do away with our roo a few weeks ago due to aggression, and now I have a hen going broody, thought I'd give her a chance to mother hen...

Back
Top Bottom