Illinois...

Those of you in Chicago suburbs, what kinds of predators have you encountered? any actually try to get your flock?
I'm trying to determine if I should convert part of my shed to chicken coop, but it butts right up to the chainlink fence in the backyard and doesn't have good visibility behind it.

I haven't seen any raccoons but do have a very occasional possum and skunks.
We lost one of our ducks to a hawk last April. In December, either a coyote, fox, or raccoon attacked our drake, who was on our back porch! Luckily, our daughter heard the commotion and saved the duck! She couldn't tell what was running away. Recently, two foxes came up on the back porch… but this time the duck was inside! Yesterday morning, I watched a very large fox walk down the sidewalk in front of our house. We live in Hinsdale!

We've kept our duck inside most of the winter - he's spoiled and very much a pet! Since the hawk attack, we've been very concerned about letting him roam the back yard (fenced) alone. With all the wildlife in our yard this winter, I'm terrified to let him out when the weather gets warmer.

Those of you in Chicago suburbs, what kinds of predators have you encountered? any actually try to get your flock?
I'm trying to determine if I should convert part of my shed to chicken coop, but it butts right up to the chainlink fence in the backyard and doesn't have good visibility behind it.

I haven't seen any raccoons but do have a very occasional possum and skunks.
Fox Valley, we have every kind of predator. Raccoons are everywhere, even lots of them in the city. We have hawks, coyote, foxes, skunk, cats, stray dogs. Chain link alone isn't enough, raccoons will reach through it and tear up a chicken.You need to wire tie hardware cloth to the chain link, cover the top, and make sure dogs and raccoon can't dig under the fence.

Any IL peeps have interest at trying their hand at raising meat rabbits? I have two young breeding pairs that I would like to sell, that I hate to butcher. We think that it's time to move on as time doesn't allow much for them. I have a whole bunch of little ones, but I don't mind butchering them.

Back
Top Bottom