Illinois...

We're pretty good friends with 3 of our 4 neighbors, and the 4th is on the side pretty far from where the girls will be. We plan on keeping everyone happy!!

How many chickens do you have? Where do you buy your food? Is there a local chicken-enthusiasts group or anything? I have so many questions!
smile.png
WendyMN
Because I have a pair of large dogs & chickens, I make a trip out to Farm and Fleet once a month. (Combined with a trip to visit my parents & the gas isn't so bad.) I save $10 on each bag of dog food and almost $12 on each bag of chicken feed. Pine shavings & yard tools are also cheaper there. I don't recommend buying more than 1 month's worth of feed, because it can go bad. If you're not up for the drive, the nearest feed store I know is off Wolf Rd in Indian Head Park, IL.

There's a "Windy City" chicken coop tour each year. We had fun driving around to see urban chicken coops. Often the footprint of the coop & run were a tiny 4'x8' (The size of just our coop) It was amazing what some people did to have fresh eggs & produce on such a small piece of land. We have 6 layers, but the number of chicks is fluctuating due to my daughter's 4-H project. (She's been selling off her hatch results.) The goal is to keep a flock of 6-8. That's enough for our household use and extras to give our family & neighbors. If we had high production breeds, perhaps we'd have fewer hens. For us, the chickens are more for pets & entertainment than food.

This is the story of an epic journey of a man and his goat who is walking across of America to raise money for an orphanage in Africa. He is currently in St. Louis and is headed for Times Square in NY. Keep an eye out for him he is coming your way.
0.jpg

How is everyone doing? How about your Easter hatches? Are they all integrating and feathering out?

Ours are feathered, mostly, but aren't fully integrated. They sleep in the rabbit den, so I can't get them up roosting with the adults.

All of the hens are laying again, but one is broody.

Our pup is getting really big. At 4 mos he was 45 lbs and Saturday we head back to the vet for his 5 mos check up. He looks at sounds like an adult dog, but acts like a pup.

Jerry-how are those birds you got from me? Do you know their gender yet? I'm thinking that my hatch are 4 female and one male.

How is everyone doing? How about your Easter hatches? Are they all integrating and feathering out?

Ours are feathered, mostly, but aren't fully integrated. They sleep in the rabbit den, so I can't get them up roosting with the adults.

All of the hens are laying again, but one is broody.

Our pup is getting really big. At 4 mos he was 45 lbs and Saturday we head back to the vet for his 5 mos check up. He looks at sounds like an adult dog, but acts like a pup.

Jerry-how are those birds you got from me? Do you know their gender yet? I'm thinking that my hatch are 4 female and one male.

They are doing fine . I have not really looked at gender .

Back
Top Bottom