Illinois...

I'm not sure (since I've never tried to keep more than 1 roo) but there may be issues when reintroducing your roos to each other afterwards. If they are together as chicks & grow up together then no problems. If you separate them, they may forget each other & try to fight when put back together. Perhaps having them in sight of each other during the separation may help. Perhaps it won'r even be an issue. Maybe someone else can give advice.

They haven't really met each other yet. They are a about 2 months apart but I have kept the marans inside because the weather got to cold and there are only 2 of them. The marans are only 11 weeks now and the legbars are 4+ months. I have a home for 2 of the CCL roos. They are leaving next week.
Once I am positive that the second maran is a roo (still no signs like extra coloring on back or wings) then I will get rid of the extra and move the other outside to the coop.
Maybe I should move them out now since they aren't sexually active yet, but I know the CCL are because I cracked a couple of eggs this am and they are fertilized.
Will I have a problem between the rooster? I figured they were young enough to mix. Crap! I might be making 2 separate pens

I'd ask around & see what others have to say. I don't have enough rooster experience.

It's always tricky when introducing new birds to the flock. I like to always have more than one so the new girl doesn't get picked on. I also make sure to have a "look but don't touch" period. (Put a cage, dog crate, etc. inside the coop so they can see each other. Maybe a week.) When I finally put them together, I do it in the darkness of night when they're already roosting. That way when they wake up, they've already spent the night. Chickens don't seem to have a long memory, so they wake up thinking, "Oh. I guess you've always been here." The new ones will get bullied a little, & a roo is helpful to break it up. Eventually the pecking order gets worked out, but until then, the new ones at least have a buddy. Some adjust quickly; others stay separated until they get near point of lay. It's best to have multiple feeders / water if you can. (Just in case the bullies don't want to share.)

When I added chickens to my flock, I always try to add 2 or more at a given time. The newcomers, even though they are from different sources, always have a developed friendship. They start at the bottom of the pecking order and hang together at least for a while. In no time the whole flock accepts each other and its back to one happy family. Faraday40, I like your trick of sneaking in the new ones at night.

Does anyone know where I can get some austra whites without having to order from a big hatchery? Thanks for all info.

Does anyone know where I can get some austra whites without having to order from a big hatchery? Thanks for all info.

You don't say where you are at. Makes it a slight challenge trying to give suggestions. I am assuming you would like to drive and pick them up. Other wise what is your quarrel with big hatcheries.
If you live somewhere near Kankakee IL. There is a swap meet where you can buy chickens and more. Here is the link to Kankakee county fairgrounds. Navigate to the calendar of events for all the information . http://www.kankakeefair.org/Calendar.htm Hope this helps.
smile.png

You don't say where you are at.  Makes it a slight challenge trying to give suggestions. I am assuming you would like to drive and pick them up.  Other wise what is your quarrel with big hatcheries.
If you live somewhere near Kankakee IL.   There is a swap meet where you can buy chickens and more.   Here is the link to  Kankakee county fairgrounds.  Navigate to the calendar of events for all the information .    http://www.kankakeefair.org/Calendar.htm   Hope this helps.
:)
i am in southeastern Illinois and all the big hatcheries want a 15 minimum order and all I need are 5 of the austra whites. Maybe someone might know of a breeder close to me. I live in Olney which is 25 miles west of Vincennes Indiana. I have been searching but finding nothing.

i am in southeastern Illinois and all the big hatcheries want a 15 minimum order and all I need are 5 of the austra whites. Maybe someone might know of a breeder close to me. I live in Olney which is 25 miles west of Vincennes Indiana. I have been searching but finding nothing.
I think you're right by looking for a local breeder (better quality) but if that fails, you have a few more things to try:

I have seen ads on Craigslist for people wanting to split a hatchery order. Also chain feed stores like Farm N Fleet, TSC, etc. sell chicks. You may be able to place a smaller order via them.

I think you're right by looking for a local breeder (better quality) but if that fails, you have a few more things to try:

I have seen ads on Craigslist for people wanting to split a hatchery order. Also chain feed stores like Farm N Fleet, TSC, etc. sell chicks. You may be able to place a smaller order via them.
http://chickensforbackyards.com/
I was on the hatchery thread and someone just ordered from this hatchery and she was able to order only 5 chicks. You might want to check there.

I have 6 roosters. 1 got injured somehow before bed one night. Really bad limp, but no visible issues. Decided to separate him for the night. The next morning I put him inside the coop in a corner. Another rooster seen that and went right in to show his dominance. I kept him isolated a few days until he was a little better. I have heard the time to re-introduce chickens is at night. I tried that, and didn't seem to have as many issues as far as fighting.

Back
Top Bottom