Illinois...

IT HAPPENED JUST AS IT TURNED DARK. I went to lock the girls up and came upon the crime scene. Saw Rocky running off with the carcass. Lost Shannon and Cotton. Both banties. Old English game hen and Serama cochin mix. Now I'm down to 5 gals. They were about 5 and 7 years old. Sometimes I loose track of exact age but I'm close. Give or take.
So sorry to hear that. loss of a pet like that is really hurtful

Rocky raccoon visited my coop last night before I got a chance to lock up.
sad.png
sad.png
. Took 2 banties for his dinner.
sad.png
hit.gif

The area looks like a crime scene......
hit.gif
Oh My! So sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

Hope so, how are all your babies doing? Any early hatchers yet. I had chirping last nite.
So how will you spend your Sat night?
a. go out for a nice dinner
b. take a romantic stroll with your sweetie
c. watch the incubator all night & talk to the eggs/chicks through the window.

I'm an "All of the above" kind of person, but the kids & I always look like raccoons during the hatching times.

So how will you spend your Sat night?
a. go out for a nice dinner
b. take a romantic stroll with your sweetie
c. watch the incubator all night & talk to the eggs/chicks through the window.

I'm an "All of the above" kind of person, but the kids & I always look like raccoons during the hatching times.

Well, waited to make dinner because someone was suppose to come by for some chicks and did a no show. (Friend of a friend) So, ended up grabbing some burgers. Husband is napping. Will be moving some plants to make room for the new coop and will be going down stair to peer for the 10th time thru the windows and play with the other chicks. How is that for a romantic Saturday night. At least you will have company, I will be on my own.

Can I ask if any of you went through the process of acquiring an Illinois Egg License?

I'm debating doing it and having an inspection but I'm kind of at a loss about the egg washing- USDA approved of course. I don't wash our eggs at all for our family's use but for selling off site I'll need to andI'm guessing they'll watch my wash procedure at inspection time. Does anyone care to share their USDA approved washing technique?

Also, what was your general experience with inspection? Did they give you a hard time about the scale you used? I'd like to skip buying and egg scale and just use my kitchen produce scale.

Can I ask if any of you went through the process of acquiring an Illinois Egg License?

I'm debating doing it and having an inspection but I'm kind of at a loss about the egg washing- USDA approved of course. I don't wash our eggs at all for our family's use but for selling off site I'll need to andI'm guessing they'll watch my wash procedure at inspection time. Does anyone care to share their USDA approved washing technique?

Also, what was your general experience with inspection? Did they give you a hard time about the scale you used? I'd like to skip buying and egg scale and just use my kitchen produce scale.

Sorry, I have not. Good Luck Though!

Quote:
As I mentioned in my PM, my new hatcher was a disaster so I moved the precious eggs back to old incubator. During the process, I noticed what I thought was a pip. The membrane started turning brown on it so I decided to help. That was my biggest mistake because it was not a pip, just a dime sized piece of egg shell had fallen off (never seen that before). So I panicked and opened the egg from the other side and there was no air cell or internal pip. Felt the beak and opened the membrane. The chick did start cheeping and breathing but the membranes had active blood vessels. So I had to put it back wrapped up in a wet paper towel. Next 24 hrs, I had to dribble warm water on it every couple of hrs and take a bit of the membrane. Even to the very end it did not try to come out. Its finally opening its eyes but shuts them right away. I have left it in a small plastic bowl. Lets see if it survives! Apart from that only 1 Legbar has hatched so far and 2 Mauves have pips. Half of day 21 is over and I am very anxious and worried now. Also went to see a friend who hatched 7 of my eggs under one broody and there were 7 eggs under another broody. The 1st one is a very nice mama but the second one killed one of the chicks that hatched this morning and attacked the 2nd one that came out from under her. So we took it away and gave it to the 1st broody. I think she got confused because she was watching the 1st broody walk her chicks out and might be thinking that the chicks she is hatching belong to the other. So I helped her carry her pet carrier she is inside her home. Hopefully if she doesn't have other distractions, she may accept the chicks she is hatching.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom