Illinois...

Sorry to hear you are down to 4 eggs. I also lost a chick today which had internally pipped yesterday but could not break the shell. I did an egg-topsy and it was another legbar girl. Have 3 more pipped. I really need just one more white Legbar from a particular hens eggs so the suspense is over.

Also, you could have just asked me for 1 chocolate cuckoo. Now you have to wait another week.

Kills me when they make it that far, and you end up with a late death. Did you find which hen is giving you the sports?
I am kicking myself, I didn't think of that. But, it might not be to late. It all depends if he had an extra blue cuckoo egg in the hatcher that will be around the same time as the BBS. He said he would check and get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet. I couldn't help myself, I was checking his website out, and he has a lot of chicks on sale, so I figured the blue cuckoos were on sale for $18, that would work. Impulse Buying Again.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I just noticed in the Chicagoland Chicken Enthusiasts Facebook page that there will be an Urban Chicken Health Care workshop in Hyde Park on July 11. I'm sorry I won't be able to make it (my old neighborhood, I always like a chance to go back there), but it sounds like it could be a good event. Without knowing a lot about the curriculum, I'm guessing it could be especially good for new chicken keepers or people thinking of starting.

Kills me when they make it that far, and you end up with a late death. Did you find which hen is giving you the sports?
I am kicking myself, I didn't think of that. But, it might not be to late. It all depends if he had an extra blue cuckoo egg in the hatcher that will be around the same time as the BBS. He said he would check and get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet. I couldn't help myself, I was checking his website out, and he has a lot of chicks on sale, so I figured the blue cuckoos were on sale for $18, that would work. Impulse Buying Again.

Yes I was sad, especially when I opened the egg and it looked like it was ready to come out. Probably couldn't break the shell.

Still two eggs to go. So far only 1 white chick from the 6 eggs from 1 hen
Zero from the 9 from the other hen

Haven't named this one yet. Nothing has really stuck. Perhaps Marilyn. We have a Princess Lay-a (white hen), Darth Layer (black orp), & our little Cookie is nicknamed "the Bantam Menace." (She's also called "Cookie Monster" when she's broody.) One of the Bielefelder pullets is named "Chew-BAWK-a" DD named a younger lav female "Sweetie." (Misspelled it once as Sweaty, so it's already collecting nicknames, while the pullet pictured has no name other than "the other lavender chick.") Does anyone here have some fun chicken names?
It's funny you have a bantam with an alternative name for her broody times. Our Icelandic hen has a good, traditional Icelandic name- Harpa- but when she went broody, my DH started calling her "The Toad" because she looked so much like a fat amphibian all spread out in the nest box... I kept telling him to quit, but then it just kind of caught on and now I've been calling her "The Toad" as well. Poor thing! She really does not look anything like a toad, but it's kind of stuck...

Been lurking around for a couple weeks as I've read the thread and thought I'd say hello. I live between the rivers down here in Pike Co. I raise chickens for eggs to pay for my waterfowl, gamefowl & peafowl habit. I'd sell anyone farm mutt eggs that you could use to hatch but because of the communist laws in IL you'll have to come to my house to get them as I'm not getting a license. IMO, give me a farm breed any day, they seem to be the healthiest and hardiest. All my chickens free range and they need that harty instinct and healthy demeanor to survive. All you guys have pretty chickens! Here are some pics of my birds.

It's funny you have a bantam with an alternative name for her broody times. Our Icelandic hen has a good, traditional Icelandic name- Harpa- but when she went broody, my DH started calling her "The Toad" because she looked so much like a fat amphibian all spread out in the nest box... I kept telling him to quit, but then it just kind of caught on and now I've been calling her "The Toad" as well. Poor thing! She really does not look anything like a toad, but it's kind of stuck...

LOL, poor Harpa a.k.a. Toad! Pretty funny.

Been lurking around for a couple weeks as I've read the thread and thought I'd say hello. I live between the rivers down here in Pike Co. I raise chickens for eggs to pay for my waterfowl, gamefowl & peafowl habit. I'd sell anyone farm mutt eggs that you could use to hatch but because of the communist laws in IL you'll have to come to my house to get them as I'm not getting a license. IMO, give me a farm breed any day, they seem to be the healthiest and hardiest. All my chickens free range and they need that harty instinct and healthy demeanor to survive. All you guys have pretty chickens! Here are some pics of my birds.

Love your large assortment of birds and your cute puppy. Wish I had all that space, jealous
welcome-byc.gif

Love your large assortment of birds and your cute puppy. Wish I had all that space, jealous
welcome-byc.gif
Thanks! We really like our place. I've got a few neighbors but they are good people that either have poultry as well or don't mind my little hobby. Plus a doz eggs from time to time goes a long ways. And the pup, well thats Samson, the guard dog in training
fl.gif
He was born on Jan 1, easy to remember, lol He is growing so fast it's crazy, never had a Grt. Pyr. before.

Do any of you guys hatch your own eggs? Anyone eat their birds? Our kids love to participate and watch the whole process.

Back
Top Bottom