Illinois...

Hey everyone. I have one rooster that seems to hop everywhere he goes. I am a little concerned but other than that he acts just fine. He even tried to crow a little this morning. Any help would be great.

Hey everyone. I have one rooster that seems to hop everywhere he goes. I am a little concerned but other than that he acts just fine. He even tried to crow a little this morning. Any help would be great.

I have never come across anything like that. Did he just start doing this? Do his legs and feet look oK? Maybe someone else could jump in.

I'm just curious.....has anyone in northern Illinois raised Polish hens? I think they are so cute but didn't order any because they never came up as a cold hardy breed. Anybody have success with them around here?

I had two polish roos over the winter, one did fine, he was the dominant one, and was able to roost between hens. The other one was left to roost solo and ended up with frostbite on his feet. My neighbor has a polish hen, she does fine, but is in a coop with other cold hardy breeds.

I'm just curious.....has anyone in northern Illinois raised Polish hens? I think they are so cute but didn't order any because they never came up as a cold hardy breed. Anybody have success with them around here?

I don't have any polish, but if no one else here has them, you could also ask on the Indiana thread. They have a very active thread.

Also, figured I would Post this about Coop Dreams Coop Camp, with the Chicken Chick and Lisa from Fresh Eggs Daily. 3 day seminar is what I would call it, in Indiana or Virginia. Who wants to go!

http://www.abcsportscamps.com/coopdreams

Last edited:

I had one a few years ago. ( hen ) Just adore how they look. They are very docile.. Their feathers are in the medium range. They are a bantam, but not the tiny kind. Only drawback about them as well as silkies is they are susceptible to overhead predators. The hairdo blocks their vision. I have heard that referred to as hawk magnets. I am looking to get them again.. My choice is a black one with a white hat. They come in a variety of color combinations. Last time I was searching for them, I found a breeder just north of the cheddar curtain in Ft. Atkinson Wisconsin. I just didn't have the desire to make the journey for one chicken. My chickens are in a coop during spring, summer and fall.. winter over in a heated garage. I just maintain enough heat to not fall below freezing. You can see her pix in my pictures.

There is a BYCer that lives in upstate Ne York and got a polish hen as part of an egg layer assortment (so not from a breeder but from a hatchery). Said she was fine in with all the other hens and laid as well or better than most of them. I think the weather would be similar to here.
I have no first hand experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom