Illinois...

Am I crazy or does this look like a fertile egg? We got rid of the roo 3+ months ago. The cockerels are only 15-16 wks old. Yes, they're crowing, but I've never seen them try to flirt with a hen. The younger "teens" are in a tractor all day & only with the flock at bedtime. (Not much opportunity) I doubt my big girls would even allow a young teen male to get close.

Opinions please:

Am I crazy or does this look like a fertile egg? We got rid of the roo 3+ months ago. The cockerels are only 15-16 wks old. Yes, they're crowing, but I've never seen them try to flirt with a hen. The younger "teens" are in a tractor all day & only with the flock at bedtime. (Not much opportunity) I doubt my big girls would even allow a young teen male to get close.

Opinions please:

See and you guys probably thought I was crazy, when it happened to me. LOL, isn't it crazy.

My Olive Egger was all over all the girls, I have been getting fertile eggs again, I threw in a couple of my Leghorns eggs, and a couple others. I was hoping for the marans to be laying before he went. He was the same age as your Lav Orps from Easter time. So it is possible, maybe your just not seeing it.
Or its like what happened to me. For some reason the girls still have some stored away for a rainy day. LOL

Last edited:
Here is the next chapter in the never ending saga of "My Broody".

3 days left til hatch and Thelma must have either gotten too hot in the carrier or just plain didn't like it. Because after a long day of chasing the grandsons and making a birthday dinner and having cake for my son. I went out to check on everyone at 7 pm, Thelma was up in the nesting box, sitting on the eggs laid in the afternoon. I felt the GL eggs and they felt cold to the touch, well as cold as they can get on this hot day. I candled them and didn't see any movement, but it is day 18. So, I just put them in the incubator with the other 3. Whatever hatches, I will slip under her. I can no longer deal with all the drama of these broodies!

@Junibutt Here are pics of the 2 cockerels I kept. I really like the lighter blue

Dark Blue cockerel.

Then below is the lighter Blue Cockerel, well this is the one I am not sure if its a cockerel for sure yet. Hoping for 2 blues and 1 black hen, with the dark blue Cockerel.

Last edited:
hey everyone. It has been a couple weeks sense I posted anything. The chickens are about 11 weeks old now. I still don't know what this girl is. She is by far the friendliest of the flock. Every day she Flys into my hand and demands to be pet. So much fun.

hey everyone. It has been a couple weeks sense I posted anything. The chickens are about 11 weeks old now. I still don't know what this girl is. She is by far the friendliest of the flock. Every day she Flys into my hand and demands to be pet. So much fun.
He looks to be a handsome Easter egger. I say he because of the wattles and red comb. But I could be wrong. I love when they like to be cuddled.

Anyone have Compine gold hens? Just told that's what the hatchery sent and they are about 3 week old. What can I expect?

I got some Golden Campine eggs from a breeder in California for the BYC Easter Hatchalong in 2012. One hatched and it was a pullet. She ended up in a friend's laying flock since I have Icelandics and won't keep any white/tinted egg layers to avoid hatching mixed breeds. Here is the last picture I have of her...four months old and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom