Illinois...

We woke up this morning to find that 3 of our 4 hens were no longer with us... The culprit I suspect was the Raccoons. We would like to replace two ameraucana and one light brahma. Need to replace quickly so our last Ameraucana isn't left by herself for too long. Will come and pick up ASAP if you have any available. Only pullets please as we can not keep cockerels.
Thanks!
Are you looking for pure Ameraucana or Easter Eggers?
I know a lady on the North side of Chicago who has 14-16 weeks old EE pullets.
I have a light Brahma that is 16 months old but it is hatchery quality as well. I am also on the North side of Chicago.

Thank you for your quick reply. I am looking for 2-3 EE and 1-2 Brahmas. Can you send me any pictures of yours? Is your friend looking to get new homes for her EE?

Thank you for your quick reply. I am looking for 2-3 EE and 1-2 Brahmas. Can you send me any pictures of yours? Is your friend looking to get new homes for her EE?
She was selling hers few weeks ago (since she hatched too many back in April). I will check with her and PM you if she still has them. Also will send you pic of my Light Brahma. Wish I still had her sister whom I rehomed back in June. Light Brahmas look great when walking in pairs.

[COLOR=333333]We woke up this morning to find that 3 of our 4 hens were no longer with us... The culprit I suspect was the Raccoons. We would like to replace two ameraucana and one light brahma. Need to replace quickly so our last Ameraucana isn't left by herself for too long. Will come and pick up ASAP if you have any available. Only pullets please as we can not keep cockerels. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Thanks![/COLOR]
Sorry to hear that. Wish I had some to offer you. Good Luck

A cute pic of one my chocolate and the blue cockerel at 7 weeks:
They are handsome. I love the chocolate cockerel. Wish I could take him for my Coco. But I don't think 4 roos will work over here but I think he is going to be gorgeous!Are these the ones your keeping

Last edited:
Anyone in Far North Eastern Illinois interested in some standard barnyard mix chicks, mixed bantams or guinea keets? Straight run? I'm in the Gurnee/Lake Villa/Round Lake area...

My kids absolutely enjoy watching them hatch, and I would like to continue hatching for a few more months but I can only handle so many additions to my flock... I'll do Craigslist if I have to but would rather offer them up to someone here vs dealing with Craigslist...

The barnyard mix standard sized would be hatched from green, blue or olive eggs so chances of an colored egg layer (aka Easter egger or olive egger) is very high...

I could also hatch standard sized from my pink to brown eggs or even from white eggs (the only white layers I have are black sumatras) but since they are all communal who knows what you would end up with...

Bantams are, mostly a light cream to white egg... These would likely be limited as my bantam hens tend to go broody this time of year...

Guinea keets are a communal mix of several color mutations, pearl gray, lavender, buff, brown, pied and possibly other recessive colors... So keet colors are random... You can sometimes take a guess a the final color as a keet, since they fuzz out different but some of it is so subtle I won't guarantee the final color and thus it would be a straight run offering based on what hatches...

Let me know, if no interest no worries, just figured I would toss it out there... Price is negotiable, not looking to get rich, but I would like to at least put some money in the feed fund..

They are handsome. I love the chocolate cockerel. Wish I could take him for my Coco. But I don't think 4 roos will work over here but I think he is going to be gorgeous!Are these the ones your keeping
Blue will definitely have to go. I will have to decide between the 2 chocolate cockerels. Here are the pics side by side. Which one do you and @Faraday40 think is better. Will also post on facebook to see what the experts say, however I am afraid they will admonish me for trying to select too early. Last time they told me I should only look at the shape of the head at this stage. Now who is going to tell me which head shape is better!! lol. 2nd and 3rd pics are of the same cockerel.

Last edited:
Blue will definitely have to go. I will have to decide between the 2 chocolate cockerels. Here are the pics side by side. Which one do you and @Faraday40 think is better. Will also post on facebook to see what the experts say, however I am afraid they will admonish me for trying to select too early. Last time they told me I should only look at the shape of the head at this stage. Now who is going to tell me which head shape is better!! lol. 2nd and 3rd pics are of the same cockerel.

I can't say I know anything about the standards. I look for obvious flaws like strange toes, nails, feather stubs on shanks, weird shape on comb, wattle shape etc. The most important thing is personality (non-aggressive of course) & good health (good appetite, activity level, bright eyes...) If all three chicks are equal, my personal preference is the rounded, fluffy English look like the one above. Of course if you ask around on an orp thread, people there with experience may have a lot to add. Mine are more pets.

This guy is one of my favorites I don't know what kind he is but he has an oil sheen in his feathers and a pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom