Illinois...

They are my kids private petting zoo
smile.png
I was picking up two free llamas from a farmer in Wisconsin that was retiring, he said if I took the goats as well he would toss in some of the stuff he had no use for anymore, I ended up getting something like 40 bales of hay, some bales of straw, an expensive electric Oyster sheep shear, a brand new 300 gallon water trough, some feed buckets, some heated water buckets, about $100 worth of de-wormer and some other misc stuff all for free, had to go and rent a moving truck to move it all...
WOW! I would have taken that all too! Then again, I think my mother and hubby would have had mini strokes if I came home with all that at once! Hahah! However, now that the chickens have created little impact, they might be ok in the future if something wanders into the barn.

I have been on the lookout for straw bales for the winter (need to insulate the coop area). The Feed Sales in Grayslake is $5-6 each (if I remember right) -too pricy for me. If you hear of a good deal on straw please let me know! (I have not called the McNeil's farm down the road, am not sure if they sell it.)

If you hear of a good deal on straw please let me know!  (I have not called the McNeil's farm down the road, am not sure if they sell it.)

I don't know if Bill (McNeil) sells the hay and straw he harvest, never bothered asking although I saw him baling straw about 2 weeks ago... I probably should though since he is very good friends with my landlord and literally shares the 30 acres I live on, I rent the areas around the buildings and he tills the rest... I just had a conversation with him a few weeks ago when he pulled up my driveway to look over his corn, apparently 'my' house was his house until he was about 6 then they moved down a few houses where he still lives... I generally buy my hay and straw from Wisconsin via Craigslist as it's generally cheaper than Illinois prices even though it's just a matter of miles away... I do have a local farmer (that I found on Craigslist last year)I bought some real rough looking straw from last year for cheap, I'll send you his contact info he is on 173 and 45... It's not the prettiest and cleanest straw but it works fine for bedding, don't know if he is selling this year or not... I'll need more before winter but right now I'm stocked up...

Last edited:
They are my kids private petting zoo
smile.png
I was picking up two free llamas from a farmer in Wisconsin that was retiring, he said if I took the goats as well he would toss in some of the stuff he had no use for anymore, I ended up getting something like 40 bales of hay, some bales of straw, an expensive electric Oyster sheep shear, a brand new 300 gallon water trough, some feed buckets, some heated water buckets, about $100 worth of de-wormer and some other misc stuff all for free, had to go and rent a moving truck to move it all...

Was the farmer possibly from Pelican Lake in Wisconsin.??? I knew someone up there that did have llamas and goats. Its been a while since I was up there. They were due to retire.

Was the farmer possibly from Pelican Lake in Wisconsin.???  I knew someone up there that did have llamas and goats.    Its been a while since I was up there.  They were due to retire.

He was from Kenosha, he tilled some land up there and also bred angora/cashmere goats... He sold off all his goat breeding stock already, the goats and llamas that remained were his 'pets'... The wether is a full fainter, the does are half fainter & half angora/cashmere. they all exhibit the faint gene though,. because of their age they control it well and it takes a lot to actually spook them...

I don't know if Bill (McNeil) sells the hay and straw he harvest, never bothered asking although I saw him baling straw about 2 weeks ago... I probably should though since he is very good friends with my landlord and literally shares the 30 acres I live on, I rent the areas around the buildings and he tills the rest... I just had a conversation with him a few weeks ago when he pulled up my driveway to look over his corn, apparently 'my' house was his house until he was about 6 then they moved down a few houses where he still lives... I generally buy my hay and straw from Wisconsin via Craigslist as it's generally cheaper than Illinois prices even though it's just a matter of miles away... I do have a local farmer (that I found on Craigslist last year)I bought some real rough looking straw from last year for cheap, I'll send you his contact info he is on 173 and 45... It's not the prettiest and cleanest straw but it works fine for bedding, don't know if he is selling this year or not... I'll need more before winter but right now I'm stocked up...
I personally do not know Bill well, however his mother was my 1st grade teacher! :D (My mom knows them much better as she has been here for over 40 years)

seeking nearwill/grundy county IL, perfer barred rock hens 7-15 months, wouldn't mind a mixed lot either looking for a total of 4 hens no roosters. must be "cold hardy" breed. would love 1 barred rock, 1white barred rock, and 2 red stars/red sex-links. but any cold hardy breed will do. message me or comment if interested in selling ty :)

I have some Roos (3 or 4) I want to get rid of I'm located in galena they hatched May 2nd. I really don't want to have to butcher them id rather see them go to a good home. One or two looks like barred rock, one looks like Plymouth Rock.

My son put the walls up yesterday on the new coop. Slowly but surely, coming along. Snapped some pics today(tried to not get the construction mess in the pics, but kind of unavoidable, sorry) of the Orp and cochin grow outs. My project silver laced still has a bit of feathering to do, but doesn't seem to have defined lacing, but that's why I hatched the gold laced. Of which I think I have 1 of each. Also, @Junibutt this is the Blue Orp cockerel I decided to go with, what do you think?

I am loving
love.gif
my bantam cochins. So happy I have a pair!!!

Last edited:
My son put the walls up yesterday on the new coop. Slowly but surely, coming along. Snapped some pics today(tried to not get the construction mess in the pics, but kind of unavoidable, sorry) of the Orp and cochin grow outs. My project silver laced still has a bit of feathering to do, but doesn't seem to have defined lacing, but that's why I hatched the gold laced. Of which I think I have 1 of each. Also, @Junibutt this is the Blue Orp cockerel I decided to go with, what do you think?

I am loving
love.gif
my bantam cochins. So happy I have a pair!!!
Wow thats a nice coop being built. I really like the dark blue in your cockerel. How are his legs and feet? Are they completely blue and what shade? Is the Silver Laced a boy as well? Usually, the lacing is not as defined at this age anyways, it should get better as he/she molts.

Back
Top Bottom