Illinois...

I let my chickens out of the coop this morning and all were fine. Went out a little bit ago and one of my roosters is limping around and missing feathers on his neck.do you think he is getting picked on? I am planning on thinning the flock but I really like this rooster.

I let my chickens out of the coop this morning and all were fine. Went out a little bit ago and one of my roosters is limping around and missing feathers on his neck.do you think he is getting picked on? I am planning on thinning the flock but I really like this rooster.
Do you have another roo who could have fought with him? Did you hear a lot of crowing & hens going crazy?

It is also possible there was some type of predator attack, & the roo did his job. If all were cowering in the coop or huddled under things, then an attempted attack would be my guess. We're having daily issues with hawks here. The blue jays sound the alarm, followed by rooster crowing. That's when all the chickens become alert. Right before a hawk swoops, there's usually a long warning cry made by a roo & all take cover instantly. Although I don't like all the stress, it's nice to see my roos work as a team. It takes a while before any venture back out of the coop. The head roo stands guard at the entrance to the covered run.

Molting could be another reason for loss of feathers, but not the limp.

Do you have another roo who could have fought with him? Did you hear a lot of crowing & hens going crazy?

It is also possible there was some type of predator attack, & the roo did his job.  If all were cowering in the coop or huddled under things, then an attempted attack would be my guess.  We're having daily issues with hawks here.  The blue jays sound the alarm, followed by rooster crowing. That's when all the chickens become alert. Right before a hawk swoops, there's usually a long warning cry made by a roo & all take cover instantly.  Although I don't like all the stress, it's nice to see my roos work as a team.  It takes a while before any venture back out of the coop.   The head roo stands guard at the entrance to the covered run.

Molting could be another reason for loss of feathers, but not the limp.

I didn't hear anything. Unfortunately my coop is kinda far from the house. He was in the coop by himself and the rest were all together in the run. I didn't see any tracks in the dirt outside of the coop. I just hope that he isn't hurt bad. I realy want to keep him around. He is such a beautiful bird and not agresiv at all.

This is a pic from about a month ago. I have started calling him Sampson.

Such a bad day, I was moving the gold laced chicks and partridge to their outside pen around noon today and noticed some bloody stool in their brooder. My GL cockerel was all fluffed up and head down. I fixed up a batch of the tetroxy antibiotic that I had bought just in case, and put in their water container. I don't believe Tetroxy is for Cocci,(it is more for respiratory issues) so I also jumped online and ordered some Corid cause I read that worked the best. He was fine yesterday when I brought them out and then took them in for the night. Everything I've read says it can happen fast, but didn't think it would go this fast. I took my grandsons for a walk and to the park, and when I came home he was dead. I just feel horrible. Now I am worried about the 2 pullets, I have them on the antibiotic, but hope nothing happens to them. I am going to treat the whole flock when the Corid arrives even though the young chicks were never free ranging with them, but my SL bantam cochin always jumps in their pen in the morning to look for feed they spilt from the day prior. This is my first loss and I am devastated. Is there anything else I should be doing? I tossed out their food and water dish, bleached out their brooder and put in all fresh bedding. Removed all the bedding from their outdoor pen, which went right into a bag into the trash.

So sad
sad.png
Did you figure out what it is that he got??? And you did an excellent preventive job so the other chickens don't catch same.

So, update on my partridge pullet. Was not eating or drinking last nite or this morning. All fluffed up and head down just like my GL boy. I was afraid of coming home from Rural King and she would be dead. But, she wasn't, so mixed up some Corid and had to open her beak and used a dropper to get some meds done her. Got 3 dropper fulls down her for the first hour then again a little over an hour later. Just went to freshen up the food and water and she walked over and began eating. Thank goodness. Hopefully she is going to be ok. GL pullet doesn't seem to be having a problem. Rather odd cause she is so small. I am treating the rest of my older guys just in case. I believe he had cocciodosis, because of the bloody stool in the brooder. I have been letting them out all summer in a pen that I made and can move around. So hopefully everyone else will be ok, now. Such a shame, he was such a handsome boy and so sweet.

Look at what I just found. She had been using a nesting box but I guess it wasn't good enough. She had laied these over the last few days. Are they ok to eat still?
They are fine! Eggs will last weeks, longer if you decide to refrigerate. There are some great articles&posts on how long eggs last, I was shocked to learn how long farmers have before they have to get them to the store.

Back
Top Bottom