Illinois...

Gosh, I hope so! Your green Orp-egger's eggs are going to be amazing.
thumbsup.gif

In anticipation of spring, I am working on my breeding chart and project charts and getting excited. Wish I was more familiar with excel, then this wouldn't take so long. Projects I am going to be working on- SL, then Silver Partridge, Blue partridge and Blue with great lacing orps all from AL or his offspring. Good news, I get to test hatch lots of chicks! Down side is it will take at least 5-6 lines before I have a finished breed, but I am excited to try this. I think I am going to test hatch a couple of eggs from AL, then make a tough decision about rehoming my big boy Thor and a couple of girls. I have to get my numbers down. And I hope it all works out.
fl.gif

Gosh, I hope so! Your green Orp-egger's eggs are going to be amazing.:thumbsup

In anticipation of spring, I am working on my breeding chart and project charts and getting excited. Wish I was more familiar with excel, then this wouldn't take so long. Projects I am going to be working on- SL, then Silver Partridge, Blue partridge and Blue with great lacing orps all from AL or his offspring. Good news, I get to test hatch lots of chicks! Down side is it will take at least 5-6 lines before I have a finished breed, but I am excited to try this. I think I am going to test hatch a couple of eggs from AL, then make a tough decision about rehoming my big boy Thor and a couple of girls. I have to get my numbers down. And I hope it all works out.:fl  

So I understand it takes 5-7 gens to get a true breeding color... How long for a new breed completely I'm working on a giant Swedish hen

So I understand it takes 5-7 gens to get a true breeding color... How long for a new breed completely I'm working on a giant Swedish hen

That sounds fun! I guess it will all depend on what you want your end product to look like. I really don't know how long it would take, but I think it should be somewhere around the same time frame, or a bit more. I saw a post where an experienced breeder gave this advice, which I am going to use myself. Build the barn first, then you can paint it. So concentrate on body size and type first, then color. Good luck on your project!

That sounds fun! I guess it will all depend on what you want your end product to look like. I really don't know how long it would take, but I think it should be somewhere around the same time frame, or a bit more. I saw a post where an experienced breeder gave this advice, which I am going to use myself. Build the barn first, then you can paint it. So concentrate on body size and type first, then color. Good luck on your project!

My goals are basically a black jersey giant with the fibro gene of a svart hona so black on black on black black jersey giant after that's done a white jersey giant with the fibro gene but still white feathers if that's even possible

My goals are basically a black jersey giant with the fibro gene of a svart hona so black on black on black black jersey giant after that's done a white jersey giant with the fibro gene but still white feathers if that's even possible
I use the chicken color calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm because I am lousy with genetics, lol. But that sounds like a fun project.

Got an English version?

There is an English option. Underneath the Male selection, and Hen selection, 2nd option down is the English, says "choose color" to the left. Then once you select your sire and hen colors, below that will be the results of what the chicks will be. At least first generation. I just started using this to see what I would end up with for certain combos, well at least for the first generation. Otherwise, I don't use the site to its full extent.

There is an English option. Underneath the Male selection, and Hen selection, 2nd option down is the English, says "choose color" to the left. Then once you select your sire and hen colors, below that will be the results of what the chicks will be. At least first generation.  I just started using this to see what I would end up with for certain combos, well at least for the first generation.  Otherwise, I don't use the site to its full extent.

I used it I chose black and black and it said black columbian... I'm not sure how the columbian got there is there a way to choose breed?

Now it's saying black duckwing.. I'm doing something wrong

Last edited:
Did anyone's chicks get frostbit this past chilly weekend? I didn't think mine did, but now that it's warmed up (LOL) my Legorns all got it.
sad.png
They were the first ones IN the water when I brought out the warm water (pump froze). It was room temp in the house, but very steamy out in -10 degree weather.
hmm.png

Despite trying everything I could think of or read of my two oegb roos got it to both of their combs. Not much to their wattles but I think they may lose part of their combs. Unfortunately both have a special friend who cleans off the vaseline/neosporin (without pain relief) that I have been applying to their combs. Several of the other members of the flock with straight combs also have some mild frost bite to the tips of their combs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is our first winter with chickens and I'm worried I might miss something. Thankfully everyone's feet have remained unfrozen.

Back
Top Bottom