Illinois...

Well my Blue laced red Wyandotte eggs, were sent in the wrong direction due to our wonderful Postal service. But Brandy is so nice and she is going to send me fresh eggs. What a nice person.

I also ordered some of those protective saddle aprons for my girls. Now, that I have them, I tried to put one on Coco and she acted like she couldn't walk with it on. It was hilarious and sad. Maybe I am doing it wrong. It goes around their wings correct?

Last edited:
Well my Blue laced red Wyandotte eggs, were sent in the wrong direction due to our wonderful Postal service. But Brandy is so nice and she is going to send me fresh eggs. What a nice person.

So sorry you lost some eggs. Hope the 2nd try goes better.

I also ordered some of those protective saddle aprons for my girls. Now, that I have them, I tried to put one on Coco and she acted like she couldn't walk with it on. It was hilarious and sad. Maybe I am doing it wrong. It goes around their wings correct?

Yes. Most designs lay on the back & have some sort of elastic that goes down in front of wings & back up to the saddle behind the wing. Mine walk backwards & flap, but it stops in a few min. Make sure they have room to finish the wiggles & get settled. I once did it inside the coop & it caused a HUGE ruckus! The roo decided the saddle was attacking his hen, so he (& some of the hens) started attacking my poor saddle-wearing hen. 1st she got bald-back from an overly amorous roo, 2nd, she was humiliated by wearing a saddle, and 3rd, she was gang attacked by the flock. It was a very bad day for my poor hen.
BTW- A few extra Biele eggs somehow found the incubator.
hide.gif
DH is usually not too observant, but if most hatch, it will be hard to ignore. I planned to set 12 eggs & have about 3 doz. Why do those incubators have such a large capacity?

Last edited:
Fellow Illini here... Mattoon to be exact. Just starting out with chickens. We wanted fresh eggs and I have quickly learned there are so many varieties! Currently have Black australorp, Delaware, cinnamon queen, araucana/ameraucana and couple others that I am not sure of. All mine are around 8-12weeks. Should be seeing eggs May/June... cannot wait!

Fellow Illini here... Mattoon to be exact. Just starting out with chickens. We wanted fresh eggs and I have quickly learned there are so many varieties! Currently have Black australorp, Delaware, cinnamon queen, araucana/ameraucana and couple others that I am not sure of. All mine are around 8-12weeks. Should be seeing eggs May/June... cannot wait!

Welcome to the Illinois thread!
welcome-byc.gif

BTW- A few extra Biele eggs somehow found the incubator.
hide.gif
DH is usually not too observant, but if most hatch, it will be hard to ignore. I planned to set 12 eggs & have about 3 doz. Why do those incubators have such a large capacity?
Haha, good luck. I have my second incubator up and running also
hide.gif
. I warned my husband I had some eggs coming from these beautiful bantams. He said I thought we were doing this for the eggs, not the pretty chickens. He doesn't understand chicken math, lol.

@ChicagoClucker
Any idea what your chick from @Junibutt is yet?
here's a pic of all my babies sorry about the quality. Still can't decide on colors of a couple of them, one in particular.

welcome-byc.gif
Looks like you'll have a pretty rainbow assortment of eggs. Just wait until the day when that 1st egg arrives! I personally went nuts & took all kinds of pics. Other chicken people will understand and get egg-cited right along with you. Family member expecting to see pics of your kids may not always understand why all your recent emails have all turned into chicken updates. LOL It can be addictive. So many enablers here.....

Because we don't know the future, I spent some quality time with my sweet Cuddles.
Forgive me for talking about her so often. She's simply very special to me & by writing updates, it helps me deal with my sick hen.

Cuddles walking around the basement & looking to go outside. I know she must miss her flock.

Looking good after spa day! (an epsom salt soak.)

She's not really eating but did peck at some soaked pellets & drank a little on her own. I'm giving some liquids via tube feeding. She's lost weight but responds to her name & hearing my voice. I honestly thought she'd be better or dead by now. Whatever is blocking her is allowing some poop to pass. As you can see in her pics, she still has her personality. Just more quiet & not into eating. Of course THAT is a big part of every Orp's loud, treat stealing attitude.

Below are some of the icky pics. I hope I can figure out how to make viewing them optional.
Here's what her vent looks like. Tight & dry

Here are some poop pics from yesterday & today. It has varied but none look normal to me. Maybe 5-6 poops during the day & 3 at night.

Not sure why this one has some brown.

Back
Top Bottom