Illinois...

Cuddles. The BEST chicken in the world to me.
April 23, 2014 - May 14, 2016
She died in my arms a few moments ago. Sadness beyond words....

hugs.gif
I'm sorry to hear you lost her. You gave her a wonderful life. What a sweetheart she was.

Just posted on Craiglist, in case anyone is interested

SOLD-I have a Silver laced split to gold lace/blue Orpington Rooster $20. Almost 1 year old in June.
I also have a pair of cochin bantam, splash cockerel and a mottled pullet $30 pair.
2 Silver laced cochin bantams single combs cockerels $5 each,
A pair of Silver laced cochin bantams $30

Last edited:
[quote name="MeepBeep"
I'm so sorry about Cuddles. Unfortunately, few of our animals live long enough. It's the hardest part of being an animal lover

To those of you who remember Cuddles, she was a special girl. I had wanted a lav orp for a long time & finally could afford 4 eggs. rom those 4 shipped eggs, we hatched 2 chicks: Cuddles & Tank. Cuddles loved to sit on my lap & watch TV. She was always spoiled, but also gave back to me in many ways. I worked with her so she came running & responded to her name (not just the :Ch Ch Chicken call) She followed basic commands like "Go coop" ;"Go run", "Go crate" (travel cage), "up" = jump in my lap. The fun part was when I trained her to peck at targets. I would write words on cards & she would select the card with a tiny red dot. I could ask her the most complicated questions & she always got the answer correct! (to the amazement of many middle school students! LOL) We then went one step further & I taught her to peck at only the Queen of Hearts. As long as I did my part correctly & forced the volunteer to select Q-hearts, Cuddles (my physic chicken) could read their minds & peck at the card they randomly chose. It was so precious to see Cuddles think. She would look back & forth between cards often tilting her head to view at different angles before making her selection. My DD then decided to work with Cuddles. She tried agility training & got Cuddles to walk through a hoop. That was about it. Let's face it, Orps are not made for agility, but dear Cuddles tried her best to please us.

Cuddles loved the attention. She was fearless of visitors & would let anyone pet & hold her - in hopes that some sort of treat would be given. She loved her treats! Even without food, she jumped up into my lap for attention or simply followed me around the yard - "chatting the entire time.". Our backyard seems so empty & quiet now. I miss my Cuddles.
hit.gif

Back in early Sept, she had some type of severe illness & stopped eating. I dewormed, gave Corid, and even learned how to tube feed so Cudles would not starve to death. She lived! I followed up with yogurt & ACV. Never sure exactly what it was, but she molted & life went back to normal for a while. In March, Cuddles had a mild relapse. Her abdomen felt swollen & hard. I knew she had something serious. It seemed like her poop was being blocked & her crop was slow. The digestive & poop issues cleared, but the firm abdomen remained. My guess is that she was internally laying or had tumors. We decided that chicken hospice was our plan. It continued to grow, but even when ill, Cuddles was the 1st to greet me every morning. DD & I were away on Sat. When we returned to lock up the flock, Cuddles looked weak. I planned to bring her inside for the night due to the cold. I sat on the sofa with Cuddles in my lap. She briefly seized, then placed her head in the palm of my hand. She looked up at me a drew her last few breaths. It seems that she waited for me to hold her one last time before letting go.

I have other chickens, even other lav orps, but sometimes the brightest stars burn out the fastest. Cuddles was MY chicken, my favorite, my companion, my comforter, & my friend.

Hatched out my first hopeful White Sport Cream Legbar today from the paring of a white sport hen and potential carrier roosters, and as luck would have it ended up being White Sport, so that proves at least one of my roosters is a carrier... There are several more of her eggs in there hatching spaced out about 7 days apart so we will see how many more White Sports I get, or if I just get some Cream Legbars...

Also hatched out a few of a cross between Cream Legbar roosters with my bluest egg laying EE hen, hoping to get my own blue laying line, they might even be sex linked as three were buff and one was darker, could just be a coincidence though as I have no idea what the EE has in her...

Also had to cull one of my month old Whiting True Blues the other day, don't know what happened as it's still in the brooder so there should be little chance of injury, but it somehow broke it's leg or messed up it's hip, either way the right leg was limp with no movement or reflexes and dragging behind it as it rolled around trying to stand...

And I did manage to get rid of that darn skunk in the barn, only to be replaced this week by a darn woodchuck :mad:

The coyote is still avoiding me as well, have not seen it for several days but I'm sure it's around, probably got wind that I loaded up the shotgun with 00 buckshot :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom