Illinois...

Above is the double barred. Can anyone tell me if he's split wing from the above and below images? Also what of his occasional non-barred feather?

Below is the double barred how's his comb look? Is the blade too large to be of good quality?

Chocolate pullets

Please excuse the debris in the background we but another window into the cooler coop and are still tweaking it and cleaning up the mess.

Ella

Congrats &:welcome
Thank you! We got 4 Rhode Island Reds. For now being 3 days old they are very spunky and fast. Seem to be eating and drinking well. But they are now pecking themselves and each other. We put a mirror and toilet paper tube in and my husband is making a perch tomorrow so hopefully that helps. This website is a wealth of information I'm loving it!

What kind of chicks did you get?  Also, everyone loves seeing pics of baby chicks, so feel free to share.

So excited! I have my first frizzled baby. I can't wait til the other 3 feather out a bit. Here are the first 2 that I can tell for sure. 1 smooth and 1 frizzled.

Lol thanks she's very much a Sweetie. She's the one I nursed day and night to save when she had cocci. Getting up to syringe feed her around the clock it took her a little while longer to really fill out after her sister, Cinder, had. She is definitely a good fit I feel for her name even if she is a little tomboyish.

I was a bit worried for a while about Cinder and Ella's temperaments. It took them a while to calm down and be friendly but more than that they spent months tormenting my little OEGB pair chasing them around continuously, both outside and in the coop. They did eventually stop though I don't know why or what started it in the first place.

My orps usually hang out with each other. They don't mind the other chickens & let them take the lead in most things- except treats. That's the only time I've seen an orp bully. The rest of the time, the orps seem to avoid all the pecking order drama. My barnyard mix/sussex, Dom, & EE are at the top and the orps are happy to be in the middle. It also goes by age. The elders are in charge & the pullets do not get real acceptance until they're over 20-30 weeks. Before that it's more of a tolerance. I love watching my chicken soap opera & how their relationships change over time. Of course when adding a young cockerel, it's more like watching a sit-com as he tries to make advances on the hens.

Lol yeah our girls are the same too except when the black orp girls were chasing the little black OEGB pair I have. They used to chase the sparrows out of the driveway too and I wander if they chased the OEGB bc they were a similar size. Lol

Last edited:
Of course when adding a young cockerel, it's more like watching a sit-com as he tries to make advances on the hens.
Now is when all my hatched boys are starting to get their crow on and testing their luck with the ladies. It can be really comical at times as you see the older hens give the young cocks the what- for, but it's also a stressful time for some of them as they are constantly being violated at every turn. It's a bit stressful for me too, but I don't have anywhere to separate them right now and freezer camp is still a couple months off. It happens every summer, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom