Illinois...

We found a Racing Pigeon today, apparently it was hanging out on the barn roof and the kids noticed it, they called to it and it came right down to them and was hanging out with them... They offered it some food and it's as tame as can be, pet tame in fact the kids were touch and petting it as it ate some scratch grains they hand in their hands... We picked it up and took down the leg band number and identified the owner from the Grand Rapids, MI area, we emailed them and apparently the bird we have is no longer his, but he is going to notify the new owner... He did give us some info though it was released in Gas City, IN for a race back to Grand Rapids, MI yesterday... Apparently what is becoming a world wide problem that no one can fully explain, the birds are losing their orientation... Out of the 300ish birds released for the race yesterday only about 100 made it back home so far... The race from Gas City, IN to Grand Rapids is almost due North, but apparently this birds compass sent it about due Northwest and 100s of miles off course and on the other side of Lake Michigan...

We will keep it for a few days feeding, hydrating and letting it rest, then release it and hope it finds it's way back home, that is unless the new owner suggest we do something different...

X2 I hope the little guy makes it home. Very cool! Kinda scary that they're getting lost though.

Has anyone had experience with pullets NOT laying in the nest boxes???

My mid March hatch has had red combs for a few weeks.  Many of the birds I sold are already laying for their owners, but the ones I kept are either maturing slower or finding somewhere else to put their eggs.  I've checked "the stump" - one of their fav hang-outs - and occasionally the compost pile & gardens.  I can't be sure they're even laying.  My dogs could also be eating the eggs if they're being laid anywhere but inside the coop.  Any suggestions?

You could keep them locked up for a few days. Put golf balls/fake eggs in the nest boxes. Threaten them. Lol if I had the answers I'd use them. Lol we had been doing pretty good off and on and then a couple days ago found a hidden nest in the back half of our coop behind our stock tank brooder #1

Yes. The English orps take a long, long time to lay. I don't bother looking until they're over 6 mo. (Had one take 8.5 months!) But, we kept one RIR & 2 Spitzhaubens. Those breeds should be laying this month. The whole point of keeping them was to increase our eating eggs & add a little color variety to the backyard. Hope they start soon because DH is already threatening them that they will feed him one way or another. LOL

Below is a pic of DD holding "Spitz"

When will this heat end? I am so ready for fall. 2 more first timers setting. RIR and an Orp, they are killing me. Will be pulling them off every chance I get.

The owner of said pigeon has asked us if we could adopt it, as they won't fly across open water so it's highly unlikely it would ever find it's way home naturally and it's too long of distance for them to drive and pick it up while shipping is also very cost prohibitive... So it's either adopt it or they will put us in contact with a local racer pigeon club so they can find it a new home...

So it looks like I now need to dive into a pigeon coop (loft) crash course... It's in a large bird/critter cage inside so it's at least safe in the mean time and it's also much more aware and bright eyed today, so the food and water is working it's wonders...

Last edited:
The owner of said pigeon has asked us if we could adopt it, as they won't fly across open water so it's highly unlikely it would ever find it's way home naturally and it's too long of distance for them to drive and pick it up while shipping is also very cost prohibitive... So it's either adopt it or they will put us in contact with a local racer pigeon club so they can find it a new home...

So it looks like I now need to dive into a pigeon coop crash coarse... It's in a large bird/critter cage inside so it's at least safe in the mean time and it's also much more aware and bright eyed today, so the food and water is working it's wonders...
Looks like you got a new pet.
big_smile.png

When I was a kid, one of my best parakeets came to us that way. I was playing in the backyard & saw what I thought was our blue parakeet. I got him to come to me with some seed & was surprised as I put him into our cage. I saw our parakeet already sitting there. I didn't know much about birds & they didn't fight. No one ever answered our ad, so we kept him. Our bird (Tinker) talked a little & taught the young new guy (Runaway) what he knew. Runaway learned a few phrases & every noise in the house. Quite a silly bird who lived a long time.

I hope you have as much fun with your surprise pet as my family did with ours.

Here are our 2 Appenzeller Spitzhaubens.

Poofy is better trained so far. We like her crazy hairstyle & the contrast of her dark eyes & light feathers. According to SOP her crest is a little too wide like most Spitzhaubens in the US.

Below is Spitzy. Her crest has a fantastic shape (closer to what they look like in Switzerland). She has a great dalmatian look too. Her eyes are lighter & she's a little slower in training than her sister.

Here are our 2 Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Poofy is better trained so far. We like her crazy hairstyle & the contrast of her dark eyes & light feathers. According to SOP her crest is a little too wide like most Spitzhaubens in the US. Below is Spitzy. Her crest has a fantastic shape (closer to what they look like in Switzerland). She has a great dalmatian look too. Her eyes are lighter & she's a little slower in training than her sister.
I would love to know more about what you think of them so far etc. They're stunning birds. They remind me just a little of our Super Chick who's a slw/ISA brown mix from our Easter hatch. I think you'll see why. But I love their crests.
I think one of my girls deserves the day off tomorrow...
Ouch! I guess so.

I would love to know more about what you think of them so far etc. They're stunning birds. They remind me just a little of our Super Chick who's a slw/ISA brown mix from our Easter hatch. I think you'll see why.

But I love their crests.
Spitzhaubens are a rare breed here as far as I can tell. There aren't many people breeding them. Even so, I'm not interested in breeding them myself. We just wanted to have one for their cool look. They're great free ranging b/c they can move fast & fly well. I've heard they can sometimes roost in trees, but the orps stay put, so that makes the Spitzes stay in our yard with the flock. I have seen them easily hop our 4' fence to visit a neighbor, and that's why I insist they fly to my arm when called.

They're not a breed for beginners because they can fly. They sometimes make some odd noises, so I hope they're not too vocal when they lay. They can be flighty if scared, but so far, they're a little more friendly than our Sebright was at the same age. The Sebright enjoys sitting on our arms, laps, or shoulders but hates being held. The Spitzhaubens are very friendly & calm when being held. They seem pretty smart, very curious, & often mischievous. I put up fences around my bushes & trees. They like to test different sections to figure out how to get to my berries. They cleaned me out of blueberries not to mention that they taught the others how to jump the fence & eat up our garden. On the bright side, because they're eating so much from the yard, they don't eat much feed in the coop/run. They should lay white eggs which is the real reason I hatched them. I had many egg colors but no white. I like to be able to label each egg with the hen's name. I wanted something a little more fun than a Leghorn.

By next year, I'll know if they're a good fit or not. I love the big fluffy chickens. Sebrights & Spitzhaubens are just about the opposite of our orps.

Back
Top Bottom