Illinois...

Sad day here yesterday. My SL mama brought her baby out of the coop and went over by the adults food and water dish on the other side of the yard. Sad to say, the baby fell into the water bowl. I went out to sit with them for a while when I noticed. Poor mama was looking for the baby the rest of the day. I have food and water inside and outside the coop for the chicks, but the baby was probably following mom. I really should start using the cup or nipple drinkers.
he.gif

Sorry for your loss. :( I had the exact same thing happen here in the spring. So sad. :( I put a big chunk of concrete in the water tub so hopefully any future babies can cllimb back out.

Sorry for your loss. :( I had the exact same thing happen here in the spring. So sad. :( I put a big chunk of concrete in the water tub so hopefully any future babies can cllimb back out.

Thanks Pixie that's a good idea and sorry for your loss earlier this spring. I am learning some hard lessons this year with broody hens and chicks. I can not let my SL bantam cochin sit with any other setting hens. She kills their chicks upon hatching and then this.

My Mama trio is doing a great job taking care of their 2 chicks and my 2 blue Mama's (Blue Marans and Blue Mottled cochin bantam) have teamed up and are both working together to take care of the 2 chicks they hatched. I think they wanted their babies to have a sibling, kind of cute. The Marans is a bit bossy, but the bantam deals well.

I've learned that each broody has a very unique method of caring for their young. Princess was our 1st broody. She's a fierce protector & top in pecking order. No one messes with her or her chicks! I've seen her walk away & the other hens run to the aide of a left behind peeping chick- only to be pecked for their kindness. Her chicks never stay around the edges of the flock. They're in the middle of it all & enjoying themselves. The chicks can be 10-15 ft away, but when she calls, they come running.

Cookie goes broody often. She's close to the bottom of the pecking order. She & her chicks are tolerated & protected by the flock, but they do not have the high status. She keeps them very close & does not share them. They are never more than 5 ft away from her.

Trouble allowed her chicks to roam, but stayed with them. She encouraged them to explore & often took them into the neighbor's yard for field trips. She was often confused when her giant orp chicks wouldn't fly or roost well, but she stayed with them as a little family for 7 weeks! She never physically fought with the other hens, but she's very vocal. She screams & fusses which makes the roo come running to her side. Unlike the 1st 2 broodys, Trouble will adopt any chick at any age! (We saw her trying to break into the brooder to adopt the 2 day old incubator chicks while her own chicks were 5 wks old.)

How did the chicks turn out that you hatched from our eggs? Kevin

I got some good mixes from your eggs, though it's hard to describe them all. You know your flock, so I bet you could point out the mixes to me better. Overall It was a good hatch and it added more variety to my flock, which was what I wanted... a chick grab bag! There are definitely some gray birds in there with dark splashes (love one of the Easter Egger crosses I got) and a few of the boys have already reached a good fryer size. They are mostly white, with a few brown feathers poking through on the wings. I timed the incubator hatch with the purchase of another 20 pullet chicks and they all grew great together. Between the 18 eggs I got from you and 13 from another neighbor, 23 of them hatched and 19 are still with me.

Thanks for asking.

Urgent Rehoming Help needed.

I had rehomed my Legbar rooster (that carried the recessive white genes) to a friend a few months back because of noise complaints, however thanks to him and a few young cockerels that have grown up, she got a warning letter from the City of Chicago. She is panicking and wants to re-home them by the weekend or else she will process them. All roosters are FREE

Here is what she has:

1. 2 and half year old Legbar Rooster (has recessive white genes). She may be willing to sell one of her white Legbar girls with him.
2. 4 month old choc cuckoo orpington rooster
3. 4 month old black cuckoo split to choc Orp x Australorp hybrid roosters x2 (I was going to use it in a chocolate Australorp project but I guess will have to start over unless someone has Australorps and is willing to work on it)

Let me know if interested and I will connect you guys. She lives close to Franklin Park.

I hope she gets some takers for those nice birds. I don't do facebook, but I know there are a few local communities where you may be able to get more exposure. I think ChicagoClucker started one.

I hope she gets some takers for those nice birds. I don't do facebook, but I know there are a few local communities where you may be able to get more exposure. I think ChicagoClucker started one.

I am already putting messages out there. Trying to help @Junibutt. I wish I could take the choc. cuckoo, but too many roos already.

Here's Princess putting her chicks to bed. LOL

* This was a doll bed that my sister remade for her Yorkie. It has little baby chicks on the mattress. Spoiled dog won't sleep on it, so my sis passed it to me. DD doesn't play with dolls, so I decided to take a pic before donating it. Of course if someone in the area wants it, just let me know. We have way too many toys!

Urgent Rehoming Help needed.

I had rehomed my Legbar rooster (that carried the recessive white genes) to a friend a few months back because of noise complaints, however thanks to him and a few young cockerels that have grown up, she got a warning letter from the City of Chicago. She is panicking and wants to re-home them by the weekend or else she will process them. All roosters are FREE

Here is what she has:

1. 2 and half year old Legbar Rooster (has recessive white genes). She may be willing to sell one of her white Legbar girls with him.
2. 4 month old choc cuckoo orpington rooster
3. 4 month old black cuckoo split to choc Orp x Australorp hybrid roosters x2 (I was going to use it in a chocolate Australorp project but I guess will have to start over unless someone has Australorps and is willing to work on it)

Let me know if interested and I will connect you guys. She lives close to Franklin Park.

You're killing me here! Lol man I would love to get ahold of your legbar roo that carries the white gene and another white hen possibly too... Ugh I'm dieing. Lol I would love to take him but I'm getting the two CL cockerals from Faraday40.

@Faraday40

Do the legbars from you possibly carry the white gene?

Back
Top Bottom