Illinois...

Yes. Godiva's pretty smart ......when it comes to treats.
She's the 1st one running up to greet me (but it's really just her way of finding out if I have anything good.)

If I throw down only ONE crust of bread or keep my hands in my pockets, then Godiva KNOWS I'm holding out. That's when her obnoxious honking begins. Other times, she runs up, sees I have nothing, then goes back to her chicken business & ignores me. Other chickens like Precious will follow me around & whine for treats the entire time. I just love their funny individual personalities. In general, the orps really love their treats & will do anything to get them.

Last edited:
Speaking of doing anything for treats, I have a funny update about Bubbles.

The other night, DD & I were playing a game while holding some chickens. I happened to have Bubbles in my lap, but instead of being cuddly like normal, she kept trying to jump onto the coffee table. Then it hit me why she was acting so strange. She was doing it out of excitement. We were using a deck of cards- which in her mind means a training session in which she gets mealworms. Bubbles saw those cards & wanted to peck at the Queen of Hearts like in DD's magic trick. We haven't done that trick since August, but Bubbles remembered it. What a smart bird!

We were laughing so much about it, so DH took a pic.

Just when you think you have the perfect flock - a rooster decides to be a butthead.

Moose has been feeling the effects of the nice weather. Besides the obvious cocky strutting & hen-mating, he challenged Brick about 4 days ago. Moose made a hen squawk so Brick knocked him off the hen (as a good roo should!) Moose took offense & they had a few spats over 2 days. When Brick & Moose were having these spats, it was Dummy who broke them apart. He's always been the peacemaker. Brick was acting a bit off the last 2 nights, so I think he's been bumped down to the #3 spot.

Well, today Moose challenged his father, the peacemaker. I was hoping they'd spar, get a scratched comb or wattle, then be done. This has always been the case. Mr Dummy has always been top roo, fair, & the perfect gentleman. He did not want to give up his prestigue. I went outside at lunch & found 2 bloody roos. Moose had less injuries, but looked covered in blood. I gave him a bath, blow dry, & applied Veterycin. Aside from his face, I saw no major injuries. Poor, sweet Mr Dummy is not as lucky. He was in pain (panting) and also covered in blood. I blotted his bloody feathers with some wet towels & sprayed some Veterycin. He looked too miserable to subject him to a bath. DD held him for a while & then we made up a bed for him to sleep inside for observation. There's no dripping blood, & I cannot bandage his face, but his panting/heavy breathing worries me. The only pain relief I know of is aspirin in his water, but I can't do that while he's bleeding. He's calmed down in the last few hours. He's still breathing through his mouth but not heavily like earlier. I really hope he pulls through. This is my 1st case of roo to roo aggression. Of course, I also hope that the pecking order was worked out so these two will not repeat fighting.

What I have read is to simply let the boys figure it out. I was hoping Moose would simply obey his dad as he always did. Moose will be 9 months next week. I guess this is that hormonal stage. If anyone has suggestions to help us pass through this stage, please let me know. (Mr Dummy & his bro, Prince Charming, never had these issues. Tank did...... but he was unpredictable around the kids & didn't live through it.)

Last edited:
Just when you think you have the perfect flock - a rooster decides to be a butthead.

Moose has been feeling the effects of the nice weather.  Besides the obvious cocky strutting & hen-mating, he challenged Brick about 4 days ago.  Moose made a hen squawk so Brick knocked him off the hen (as a good roo should!)  Moose took offense & they had a few spats over 2 days. When Brick & Moose were having these spats, it was Dummy who broke them apart. He's always been the peacemaker.  Brick was acting a bit off the last 2 nights, so I think he's been bumped down to the #3 spot.  

Well, today Moose challenged his father, the peacemaker.  I was hoping they'd spar, get a scratched comb or wattle, then be done.  This has always been the case.  Mr Dummy has always been top roo, fair, & the perfect gentleman.  He did not want to give up his prestigue.  I went outside at lunch & found 2 bloody roos.  Moose had less injuries, but looked covered in blood.  I gave him a bath, blow dry, & applied Veterycin.  Aside from his face, I saw no major injuries.  Poor, sweet Mr Dummy is not as lucky.  He was in pain (panting) and also covered in blood.  I blotted his bloody feathers with some wet towels & sprayed some Veterycin.  He looked too miserable to subject him to a bath.  DD held him for a while & then we made up a bed for him to sleep inside for observation.  There's no dripping blood, & I cannot bandage his face, but his panting/heavy breathing worries me. The only pain relief I know of is aspirin in his water, but I can't do that while he's bleeding.  He's calmed down in the last few hours.  He's still breathing through his mouth but not heavily like earlier.  I really hope he pulls through.  This is my 1st case of roo to roo aggression.  Of course, I also hope that the pecking order was worked out so these two will not repeat fighting.

What I have read is to simply let the boys figure it out.  I was hoping Moose would simply obey his dad as he always did.  Moose will be 9 months next week.  I guess this is that hormonal stage.  If anyone has suggestions to help us pass through this stage, please let me know.  (Mr Dummy & his bro, Prince Charming, never had these issues.  Tank did...... but he was unpredictable around the kids & didn't live through it.)

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry it can be pretty horrific finding two bloody roos and it can be hard to see blood on a black boy. We've had it a few times but nothing too bad. The worst was our two silkie cockerals believe it or not and one of them was white! That was scary. Pictures of both their injuries especially Dummy's would help.

Did it look like blood may have gotten into his sinuses? We had one cockeral that every time he got a scratch or cut on his comb it ran right into his sinuses and made him sneeze and cough and breathe funny.

He could be in shock keeping him warm and quiet and try getting him to drink some fluids with electrolytes in it if you have them. Possibly some scrambled eggs.
Do you have styptic powder or a stick? Otherwise if you still see bleeding that isn't dripping try applying some corn starch or flour. Of course with anything keep it out of his eyes.

Basically supportive care is what I would suggest. Sounds like he got his butt kicked poor boy. If you have it or can get it at TSC you may want to put some blu kote on it be sure you cover his eyes with paper towels or a rag etc. Blu kote gets everywhere and stains so watch out lol or you'll be purple and so will the bathroom. I would just spray his comb and wattles that will help stop the bleeding, disinfect, and keep the birds from pecking his injuries when you reintroduce him. You may also want to put him in a crat or something in a dark room. Allow ventilation of course but many people cover the hospital crate with a towel.

Moose doesn't have spurs yet correct? Not that he can't do damage without them but he can't do as much generally.

How many girls do you have for your three boys?

How'd DD take the mess? And the trauma?

I would also love to hear everyone else's opinions as I'm no expert and I feel there's always more to learn.

Essentials in our chicken first aid kit include
Blu kote
Styptic powder
Iodine
Gauze
Neosporin without pain relief
Tweezers
Surgical scissors
Syringes
Needles
Rubbing alcohol
Peroxide
Drawing salve
Hemorrhoid ointment
Electrolytes
Probiotics
Vet wrap
Exacto knife
Q-tips
Paper towels
Two Towels- one to wrap the bird in the other to lay on the work surface for cleanliness and to protect the surface.

And a bottle of Tylan 50

Of course not all of this applies to all situations. The exacto knife is for bumble foot surgeries.

Last edited:

Moose has been feeling the effects of the nice weather. Besides the obvious cocky strutting & hen-mating, he challenged Brick about 4 days ago. Moose made a hen squawk so Brick knocked him off the hen (as a good roo should!) Moose took offense & they had a few spats over 2 days. When Brick & Moose were having these spats, it was Dummy who broke them apart. He's always been the peacemaker. Brick was acting a bit off the last 2 nights, so I think he's been bumped down to the #3 spot.

Well, today Moose challenged his father, the peacemaker. I was hoping they'd spar, get a scratched comb or wattle, then be done. This has always been the case. Mr Dummy has always been top roo, fair, & the perfect gentleman. He did not want to give up his prestigue. I went outside at lunch & found 2 bloody roos. Moose had less injuries, but looked covered in blood. I gave him a bath, blow dry, & applied Veterycin. Aside from his face, I saw no major injuries. Poor, sweet Mr Dummy is not as lucky. He was in pain (panting) and also covered in blood. I blotted his bloody feathers with some wet towels & sprayed some Veterycin. He looked too miserable to subject him to a bath. DD held him for a while & then we made up a bed for him to sleep inside for observation. There's no dripping blood, & I cannot bandage his face, but his panting/heavy breathing worries me. The only pain relief I know of is aspirin in his water, but I can't do that while he's bleeding. He's calmed down in the last few hours. He's still breathing through his mouth but not heavily like earlier. I really hope he pulls through. This is my 1st case of roo to roo aggression. Of course, I also hope that the pecking order was worked out so these two will not repeat fighting.

What I have read is to simply let the boys figure it out. I was hoping Moose would simply obey his dad as he always did. Moose will be 9 months next week. I guess this is that hormonal stage. If anyone has suggestions to help us pass through this stage, please let me know. (Mr Dummy & his bro, Prince Charming, never had these issues. Tank did...... but he was unpredictable around the kids & didn't live through it.)

Hope Mr. Dummy will be ok. Probably needs some recoup time.

Remember, I posted the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Hormones are raging and both ended up bloodied. They worked it out, McDreamy is the Man In Charge and Mr. Wonderful just tries to stay out of his way. I need to set up the breeding coop asap, so he can have some ladies of his own and not get attacked for looking at them.

Hope Mr. Dummy will be ok. Probably needs some recoup time.

Remember, I posted the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Hormones are raging and both ended up bloodied. They worked it out, McDreamy is the Man In Charge and Mr. Wonderful just tries to stay out of his way. I need to set up the breeding coop asap, so he can have some ladies of his own and not get attacked for looking at them.
Does the #2 roo get to mate at all?

Up until now the order has been
1 Dummy
2 Brick
3 Moose

Brick & Moose were closely tied, but the hens frequently chose Brick. All 3 boys mated & as long as the hens didn't complain, everything was great. If a hen squawked, then Brick or Dummy would charge after the cause - usually Moose because he's the youngest & most in need of manners. They didn't actually fight, just body slammed to knock the offender off the hen & chase him away a bit.

Anyway, I was hoping since they have about 1/3 acre to roam, that they'd continue to coexist.

Getting back to Dummy, he's stopped mouth breathing. I could not get him to drink, but I did get him to eat a little bread - which I soaked in water with Rooster Booster.

@chickendreams24
I pm-ed some pics.

@Faraday40 I'm glad to hear Mr Dummy is doing better. Use caution returning him to the flock. You may need to remove the other two males and put Mr Dummy in with the hens for an afternoon. Place the other two back in the coop at night, after dark. Do this on a day you will be able to monitor how they react when they wake in the morning. In my experience, some roosters will back down and allow movement in the pecking order, some will continue to fight for the lost position. At that point, a decision needs to be made by you/your children what happens next.

I lost a pullet to a red tail hawk last week on Monday. DH was home and saw a pile of feathers appear and went out to investigate. He caught the hawk with the body and scared it off and removed the carcass. I'm hoping the loss of the meal and chasing will discourage it from returning but the flock has been inside since then. The flock consisting of 4 males and, now 15, females in a 12 x 28 foot coop at one end of our barn/shed, and a 5 x 8 attached, covered area with hardware cloth sides. I have my soon-to-be 7 year old original Icelandic rooster and three cockerels from last year with the flock. The three younger one squabble among themselves but don't challenge Audun. If they start to, they will gone. I'm keeping my old guy for as long as he lives and he won't be usurped by any of his whippersnapper offspring....and he won't be relegated to isolation. It would be different if my goals included a breeding program of some type, but at this point, my flock is simply for my enjoyment.

Happy Sunday, Illinois/WI Peeps!

Does the #2 roo get to mate at all?

Up until now the order has been
1 Dummy
2 Brick
3 Moose

Brick & Moose were closely tied, but the hens frequently chose Brick. All 3 boys mated & as long as the hens didn't complain, everything was great. If a hen squawked, then Brick or Dummy would charge after the cause - usually Moose because he's the youngest & most in need of manners. They didn't actually fight, just body slammed to knock the offender off the hen & chase him away a bit.

Anyway, I was hoping since they have about 1/3 acre to roam, that they'd continue to coexist.

Getting back to Dummy, he's stopped mouth breathing. I could not get him to drink, but I did get him to eat a little bread - which I soaked in water with Rooster Booster.

@chickendreams24
I pm-ed some pics.
Glad to hear he is doing better.

As for my #2, I have not seen him mate, but I have not spent a lot of time out there with them since it has happened besides cleaning up. I agree with Not a Farm and would pull the others for the day and slip him back in. Then monitor, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom