Illinois...

Chicks are still in incubator at the moment, but we got several early birds.

These were the 1st 3 chicks. Pic taken about 3pm

This was around 5:30pm. Hard to see from the lighting, but the darker gray chicks is "Oopsie"'s baby (I think) It could be a dark lavender- if there is such a thing..... or my 1st blue.
love.gif

Here's another fav. chick. This little black orp has a mask by the eyes like a super hero.

Two silkie eggs have pips. (One has had the pip since 9am this morning...) They are getting kicked around a lot. I may move some of the chicks into the brooder tonight.
* Any tips for shipped eggs? I read that they'll do better on their side, but I'm tempted to set them sideways into the egg carton for support.

The quail eggs are upright inside a strawberry container, so at least they're safe from soccer-playing chickens. No quail pips yet, but they were started on a different day. I'm not too concerned that they have no pips. The other time we hatched quail, we went from nothing to a peeping incubator in about 6 hours.

OK. The incubator was looking crowded, so I moved 6 of the 9 chicks into the brooder. I also took a quick orpington pic of 2 lavs, a black, & a blue(?)

What do you think? Is the 2nd one a blue orp?

Mom: I believe the chick came from Oopsie (who should be a mauve orp, which means she has some blue orp genes). If not from her, then the egg came from my lav orp pullet & it's just a little darker shade of lavender.

Dad: ???? No barring/head spot, so Brick's out. Also have a lav (moose) & a blak/lav split (Mr Dummy). So, 25% chance black orp & 75% chance lav orp.

Last edited:
I’m from Newark, IL – small town of about 1,000 not too far outside of Chicago. I have 15 chicks in the brooder now – planning to keep 9 for my backyard and gifting 6 to another great home. This flock is my first and I’m excited for the year ahead – will have my daughter’s show a couple at the Kendall County Fair and Sandwich Fair this year.

My neighbor has chickens and he’s half the reason we got some – my parents are also neighbors and they’re definitely looking forward to the eggs!

Lucky for me - my aunt raises chickens too and she's a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome to BYC. I am on the north side of Chicago and raising some Orpingtons.

OK. The incubator was looking crowded, so I moved 6 of the 9 chicks into the brooder. I also took a quick orpington pic of 2 lavs, a black, & a blue(?)

Mom: I believe the chick came from Oopsie (who should be a mauve orp, which means she has some blue orp genes). If not from her, then the egg came from my lav orp pullet & it's just a little darker shade of lavender.

Dad: ???? No barring/head spot, so Brick's out. Also have a lav (moose) & a blak/lav split (Mr Dummy). So, 25% chance black orp & 75% chance lav orp.
First of all, congrats on the beautiful babies. You are right, the 2nd chick looks blue and the feet should really tell. If its Oopsie's egg then it cannot be lavender. He/she seems very curious (like Oopsie) and I say its a keeper unless it turns out to be a boy. On the other hand, it might be useful as well because if its a boy, it will be either split for chocolate or possibly split for lavender as well. So you can breed with lavender, blue as well as chocolate hens to get all sorts of fun colors at the same time. Oopsie just became more precious!

@chickendreams24 sorry to hear about everything that has been going on with you. You just can't get a break, can you?

Very nice pics of the boys. Can you get close-ups of the black boys if possible, especially their eyes?

We are in Baileyville just south of Freeport. My son raises Orpingtons and buys other breeds to show at fairs. He then sells the ones he doesn't want to keep. Any breed you looking for? Kevin

We are in Baileyville just south of Freeport. My son raises Orpingtons and buys other breeds to show at fairs. He then sells the ones he doesn't want to keep. Any breed you looking for? Kevin

We live in Lanark and we are looking for Orpingtons or barred rock? How old are they? Can we get them today?

And so it begins! So exciting!

I’m from Newark, IL – small town of about 1,000 not too far outside of Chicago. I have 15 chicks in the brooder now – planning to keep 9 for my backyard and gifting 6 to another great home. This flock is my first and I’m excited for the year ahead – will have my daughter’s show a couple at the Kendall County Fair and Sandwich Fair this year.

My neighbor has chickens and he’s half the reason we got some – my parents are also neighbors and they’re definitely looking forward to the eggs!

Lucky for me - my aunt raises chickens too and she's a wealth of knowledge.
If you got your chicks STRAIGHT RUN......... I know which 6 are going to adoption.........
lau.gif
gig.gif
hide.gif

BTW...
welcome-byc.gif
and our local Thread....
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom