Illinois...

I want to say the Blue Laced chick that you said looks gray brown, looks just like my choc silver lace

I always thought it looked "different" but really don't know what it is. I'm also wondering if it is one of @Junibutt 's elusive choc mottled orps.

BTW- You may notice some food coloring on a couple chicks so I could tell them apart right after hatch. I marked all the EE-Orps with bright green because they look exactly the same as the purebreds. I also marked 2 lav orps that we're keeping with purple and the blue laced orps with blue. I've had several visitors ask about it. Whenever I say something like, "It's a blue laced orp," I've been hearing, "Wow! I never knew chickens came in such bright colors!"
:lau

Just ran out & took some pics.

I'd love to hear opinions & gender predictions:

Black Lavender splits
#1 had an injury/cut. It healed up well but I believe it's a little slower growing because of it. OR It could be a male. Both have the same size comb & wattles. #1 is more feisty due to daily disinfectant.
View attachment 1077564
#2 has more feather growth. Pretty sure it's female.
View attachment 1077565

Blue Laced:
This darker one always looked gray brown to me. Now it's getting spangling?
Slowest on feather growth & no real tail yet. No comb or wattles yet, but I wonder if it's male only because of the lack of feathers.
View attachment 1077566

The lighter blue laced chick
View attachment 1077567

BLue Buff Columbian:
Still a puzzler, but I like the color. It's the biggest chick from @Junibutt 's eggs
View attachment 1077568

Gold Laced:
Sadly Grumpy (1st chick hatched & DD's fav) died at about 5-7 days old. The other GLO was born with a closed eye. Still looks strange but she's the 2nd biggest & very friendly. HUGE tail
View attachment 1077569
Silver laced:
#1 is the one I said was male when only 2 weeks old. The comb looks pink too.
Niether SLs have tails.
View attachment 1077570

#2 looks more feminine, but I could be wrong.View attachment 1077571 View attachment 1077572

Lav Splits: Agree 1 boy and 1 girl
Blue Silver Laced- I believe they were project. While one seems like to be true, the otherone has more of a Jubilee pattern at the tips of the feathers. Definitely not a spangled.
Gold Laced- Despite her eye problem, "she" has the best lacing of them all
Silver Laced- Also agree seems like 1 boy and 1 girl so far.

Meanwhile I had moved some of the chicks with their broody mama into the main coop few days ago. Even though they are in dog crate inside the coop, they were being constantly harassed and apparently scare away from the food and water (that was inside the dog crate). Their weights were off by 2-3 ounces from the chicks that were not in the main coop. So I have paradoxically removed the dog crate, at least they will be free and pick their food from other places rather than being huddled in a corner. Lets see if that makes a difference.

I agree with @Faraday40 and @Junibutt on the sex of your chicks. Here are my 3 from Junibutt.

I believe this first cockerel looks like your dark grey brown chick.
20170716_135743.jpg
20170716_135755.jpg

I am guessing this one below might be a pullet. Her comb has been black and much of nothing up until this week, it has begun to lighten up and seems to have grown some. She has more feathers and chocolate coming thru also. I am also wondering if she might be black/chocolate split to gold lace? What do you guys think?
20170716_135825.jpg
20170716_135847.jpg

Then last is the blue cuckoo cockerel. He is so handsome.

20170716_135913.jpg
20170716_135918.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I have 13 pullets 6 is browns, 2 Easter eggers, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode Island red, 1 black sex link, 1 welsummer, 1 white legbar and 1 fools laces Wyandotte. This is my first year with birds we started in March
Its nice to meet someone not too far...I just started with my chickens ( 3 barred rock, 1 red sex link, and a production red -all hens) last year and this year I started with 2 goslings in may. (An american buff and what I was told is a gray saddleback Pomeranian) who I believe to both be ganders. .now I'm dealing with the two little rambunctious toddlers testing their boundaries...they're quite the characters! "David and Goliath"

Does anyone in here know?...Goliath is supposed to be a gray pom, but turned almost totally white...will he get his pattern as he gts older or is he just not going to be by breed standards a good show bird at adulthood? Right now he has a gray snake like pattern directly on his back below his wings and has some gray, buff and a blackish feathers here and there..
IMG_20170711_063355.jpg

Back
Top Bottom