Illinois...

Yep. She's REALLY, REALLY BROODY!
img_4360-copy-jpg.1138846

Hahahaha "Fear me if you dare" :)

Tomorrow is hatch day & right now I see 3 pips in the incubator!
:wee

I also have 2 (unproven) broody hens each sitting on 1 egg so they may experience the sensation of hatching beneath them. If all goes well, I'll split the chicks between them.

Yesterday afternoon, the neighbor girl dropped by & gave me a bunch of eggs that she collected for me. Yep, she grabbed Jewel's only fertile egg, carried all the eggs inside, and rolled them around on the kitchen counter. I was upstairs in the bathroom at the time, so she found Grace & told her. Grace then told me. I yelled through the door for someone to run the marked egg back outside to Jewel because it had a chick inside it! So, next the egg got shaken as the girl literally "ran" it back outside. Not sure if it will still hatch, but two things I've learned is that chicks are tough & those broody hens are full of surprises. Once I had some eggs get very cold because the hen walked back to the wrong nest and I didn't notice for several hours. All the eggs hatched - just a day late.

IMG_20170730_181934342 (1).jpg

My measly flock. :weeI know I'm weak in the pro picture department.:lau and here is a cross section of the eggs.
IMG_20170712_203601222.jpg

From left to right. Rosies' the Red SL. Mary Janes' RIR. One of my Polish Gals. And last but not least though smallest from one of my OEGH. (Silver Duckwing)
Currently due to molting and going on strike, only Rosie and Mary Jane are laying.
I am having serious thoughts of building a new coop. It would be slightly larger than what I have. Right now its just thoughts.:lau

Still have 6 chicks, but now 5 pips. Here are some pics of today's progress:
IMG_4376.jpg
IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4418.jpg

The CCL egg under Jewel died. (hopefully not because of the neighbor girl) It was strange because when I went to candle it last night, the shell was partially removed & I could feel the chick moving. I saw no blood & quickly put it back under her. This morning it was dead. I put one of the chicks under her & we'll see how Jewel does. Hopefully it was just a random accident & not because of Jewel or the neighbor girl.

I checked on the silkie's "mix-orp egg" last night & it looked a bit small for day 20-21. She also got a lav orp chick today. If they take care of their one chick, then they'll be given some more pretty soon.

The chicks have hatched & are adorable!
I had 4 of Jewel's egg which hatched a splash (I think), blue, lav, & choc cuckoo (my last chick from Brick). The lavender chick proved that Jewel carries the recessive lav gene. OR ..... The "splash" may be a lav but it got a dose of whatever caused Oopsie to feather in white. (a lav or blue "sport") T

Below: Does the one out of the basket look like a splash? It's so much lighter than any of my lavs. The 2 in the basket are a lav & a blue.
IMG_4477 copy.jpg

All summer I only got a handful of lav orps in each hatch & this one is they're taking over! A line-up of lavs:
IMG_4422 copy.jpg

Below: I'm guessing the one on the left is female & the other a male.:lau
IMG_4430 copy.jpg

I have both broody hens in the brooder.
IMG_4489 copy.jpg
IMG_4494 copy.jpg
IMG_4495 copy.jpg
IMG_4536 copy.jpg
IMG_4456 copy.jpg

IMG_4488 copy.jpg

The chicks have hatched & are adorable!
I had 4 of Jewel's egg which hatched a splash (I think), blue, lav, & choc cuckoo (my last chick from Brick). The lavender chick proved that Jewel carries the recessive lav gene. OR ..... The "splash" may be a lav but it got a dose of whatever caused Oopsie to feather in white. (a lav or blue "sport") T

Below: Does the one out of the basket look like a splash? It's so much lighter than any of my lavs. The 2 in the basket are a lav & a blue.
View attachment 1144506

All summer I only got a handful of lav orps in each hatch & this one is they're taking over! A line-up of lavs:View attachment 1144504

Below: I'm guessing the one on the left is female & the other a male.:lauView attachment 1144505

I have both broody hens in the brooder. View attachment 1144579 View attachment 1144580 View attachment 1144582 View attachment 1144589 View attachment 1144584
View attachment 1144508

Sorry, been away for sometime. Work and health are keeping me away.
Beautiful chicks @Faraday40 . About the splash looking chick, I am not sure where would it get the 2nd blue gene from. Therefore I think its a recessive white (1 gene from Brick and 1 from Jewel (transferred by Oopsie). Lets see!

And agree with you that she must have been split to lavender as well. You have another treasure in Jewel. She will give you all colors depending on the rooster. Black, Blue, Lavender and even Mauve if you ever have a chocolate rooster.

BTW my scalped pullet completely recovered in about 3 weeks (with the help of turmeric and olive oil). The gap in her skin (about 1.5 inch) completely went away, however still had about 1 cm patch that was featherless. However, when she was 11 weeks old, just over a period of 3 days she grew wattles and became a cockerel instead. I was so disappointed. My kids had already named her Amber Rose and now we had to change it to Mike Tyson. Anyways Mr. Tyson was dropped off at Belmont Feed and Seed 10 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom