Illinois...

Thanks for all the links about the electric fencing. Lots to read & think about.

The chickens got safely through another day. Also the injured girl is doing OK. (I'm very surprised. I thought there would be tons of blood (based on my previous experiences with comb & foot injuries). I really only cleaned things up & am applying Veterycin a few times a day. She's eating & drinking & the flap of skin dried itself shut. She's probably lonely but I know she's better off staying inside for at least a week.

Yesterday our dog spent 8-5pm out back with the chickens. He was one happy boy! Several times he went crazy barking at something & the roosters crowed with him, but I never could see what it was. I brought the flock in at 5pm and have not seen any evidence that a fox returned last night. As a temp solution, the dog will do. However our 9 yr old dog is not an "outside" dog. We'll need a new plan before it freezes. Does a fox leave to hibernate or are regular fox attempts our new normal?

While I was outside, my laced orp chicks (11 wks old) were posing for me. They know they're beautiful, so how could I not take their pics?
img_4102-jpg.1130872
img_4126-jpg.1130873

Do you see my unofficial chicken guard on duty in the background?

Another thing I've been wondering....

If I repair all fence holes & replace the older fence, would that stop a fox?
Below's a pic of the older fence. You can see how it's floating above ground. I could buy a taller fence & bury it a little. (Would that cause it to rust faster?) Can a fox climb this type of fence?

IMG_4135.jpg

BTW- This is Oopsie & her last chick. (The kids named it penguin.) It seems like the whole flock is ready to protect this little one. Why they never acted like that for Cookie's or Trouble's chicks is a mystery.

I'm pretty sure fox will dig only and not climb over fences. I know electricity does teach them respect. A HOT WIRE baited with some treats like strips of meat will attract predators to try it. When you cook chicken............ Store bought of course.:lau..... rip off skin and save for bait. Obviously you know that a zap in the tongue :tongueis ideal. If in doubt, test a 9 volt transistor radio battery with tongue. :lau I just cant convince DW to do it.

Call the DNR and get a nuisance permit. Then you can trap it or hire someone. Fox do not hibernate. It will be back. If I was closer I would trap it for you. I do know a guy in Crystal Lake that does nuisance trapping with a fee.

Still thinking about that electric fence. In the meantime, our dog is loving his new job. He gets to stay in the far back with the chickens from 8am (when I let them out) to around 5-6pm when I put them back inside the coop. Although the chickens would prefer if I let them put themselves to bed, it's too risky here after 6pm.

This weekend we went to the Sandwich Fair for my birthday. Two highlights were the Demolition Derby & a very delicious eclair.
IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG

476532_340296836023378_641145393_o.jpg

The fair is huge & worth the drive. I actually like it better than the state fair because the prices are not as high and there's more free stuff to keep us busy. In one of the craft display buildings, I saw a taxidermy entry that I enjoyed:
IMG_4242.JPG

Perhaps I could make my own or at least buy this one and display it as a warning to unwanted visitors. LOL

For the kids, I think their fav part is the wagon rides thru the parking field. We had a parking space near the gate, but they still insisted on taking a ride around the field and then getting off again at the gate.

It's always the weekend after Labor Day & we've been going for a few years. Perhaps I can talk some of you into meeting there next year.

Here's a pic from one of our 1st visits to the Sandwich Fair:
IMG_3277.JPG

Not at the Sandwich Fair (below), but at the state fair the IDNR had a camper display of ALL native IL pelts. That one I did pet. I leave the live skunks for my dog. He really loves playing with those striped kitties. I keep H2O2 & baking soda handy at all times.
IMG_4241.JPG

Back
Top Bottom