Illinois...

I offer to take them back (not for refund - just as a favor if they can't have roosters) I also do my best to help them pick out females. If they bring males back and later buy more chicks - then I may take a few $ off. Most of my customers come back wanting more after owning a pair of my orps. They also spread the word to their friends.

I simply give away any chicks I beleive are male (to people willing to take them) or I process them myself if they're 10wks or more. Yes, I should grow them out for 5-6 mo, but when they're that young, it's like eating a very big quail or cornish hen.

The harder part is if the buyers bring back a rooster & also own hens from other sources. Due to biosecurity, I do not allow that rooster in my yard. So it's either process him ASAP or keep him in the house until he finds a nice forever home. If the rooster came from a place that only bought chicks from me, I'll let him stay in the garage until a home is found. I've had a few very worthy, wonderful roosters that I was happy to place in new homes.

Selling chicks is rewarding = You'll meet a lot of great people & stay in touch with some of them. I really enjoy seeing how my chicks turned out & hearing how well they're doing in their new homes.
Selling chicks is time-consuming = You'll spend hours answering email ?s & hosting visitors. Some people only want to take up your time, use you as a chicken prep class, & petting zoo.
Selling chicks requires patience = You'll get a lot of silly people that must be screened out. "What's a coop? Can't I just let the chicks "free range" in the backyard?" or "I already have a few hens, I was thinking of adding a few chicks. The adults will keep them warm and care for them right?" or "I need a 2nd chick because my other feed store chick died..... We ran out of the free sample of chick feed, so we just gave them bread...." (Sad to say, but I get about 1 call a year from someone who killed a chick & is looking for a replacement buddy bird or wants to dump the remaining chick here.)
Selling chicks only sometimes makes $ = After all your work hatching, caring for chicks, posting ads, and answering all the email ?s, you may end up selling only 2 $5 chicks. I have a small list of people who I can donate extra chicks to if I end up with more than I can handle. Last year I actually lost $ on my choc cuckoo orps. I thought people would like a rare purebred that was sexable at hatch, but they're just not as cute as my lav chicks. I ended up selling off all my chocolate orps. The few people who bought them send me pics & wanted more this year. I think they were just too rare for most people. I'm seeing the same with my laced orps. People love the way the SLOs look but they are a very, very pricey breed, difficult to obtain, and "fussy" to breed. Other times, someone from out of state will seek me out and want to buy up the entire brooder.
Selling chicks works in cycles = In March I just didn't have enough chicks. As soon as they hatched, they were gone before I even posted an ad. Right now, there are a lot of people giving away free chicks. There's also a lot of people who ordered hatchery chicks and are selling off the extras. I still have a lot I wish to sell. Perhaps I need to learn how to use Facebook......
Faraday don't go to the dark side! :sick

Faraday don't go to the dark side! :sick
Facebook???

I have an account but only use it when I know a family member had a baby. (No one sends birth announcements anymore, so if I want to see a nieces' new kid, I must log on to Facebook.) BTW- If anyone here tried to "friend me" or message me, please don't take it wrong when you don't get a response. I may log on 1-3xs per year. I figure my real friends pick up a phone, send an email, or knock on my door. The only bad thing is that I sometimes hear about a random family b-day party at the very last min. (Again the nieces & nephews assume posting a random thing on Facebook is equal to inviting everyone. LOL :idunno)

Thank you all for the selling advice!

I have Swedish Flower Hen hatching eggs that I would like to start selling (both my 'bators are full!) because I had to search high and low to find them nearby. Finally found them from FB (yes, Faraday, it's a useful tool) - near Freeport.

As the girls are laying quite well, and we have plenty of Java eggs to consume, I'd thought about selling the Swedish Flower Hen eggs - instead of eating them!

I've got 1/2 doz now...should have a dozen by the weekend - just sayin'....! LOL.
Anyone wish to add to their flocks? :love
Chicken math warning!
(Didn't we have a devil emoji at one time? I'm playing devil's advocate here...!)

Thank you all for the selling advice!

I have Swedish Flower Hen hatching eggs that I would like to start selling (both my 'bators are full!) because I had to search high and low to find them nearby. Finally found them from FB (yes, Faraday, it's a useful tool) - near Freeport.

As the girls are laying quite well, and we have plenty of Java eggs to consume, I'd thought about selling the Swedish Flower Hen eggs - instead of eating them!

I've got 1/2 doz now...should have a dozen by the weekend - just sayin'....! LOL.
Anyone wish to add to their flocks? :love
Chicken math warning!
(Didn't we have a devil emoji at one time? I'm playing devil's advocate here...!)
(Covering my ears) Lalalalalala I can't hear you!
Do you have pictures of the parent stock?

Also covering mine but hoping for photos. I've heard they're big birds and amazing layers

Must not add more babies...

LoL okay guys off to bed

I need to get on and update you all tomorrow been a busy week here...

Sometimes I feel like we're just always busy

IMG_20180606_102550502.jpg IMG_20180606_102449395.jpg IMG_20180606_102507747.jpg
Photos? Did I hear a request for photos?
Ok...
Here are a few...this is the trio I am pulling hatching eggs from...

Hens are 2 yrs, Roo is 1yr.
I am getting two eggs a day from three hens... pretty good! This trio I would consider to be medium sized, certainly not as large as some of my Java's. But still good sized, very personable, friendly and great on the eyes!

Well lookie there, laid by the waterer...a Swedish Flower Hen egg! Yeah! Now I have 12. Any takers?

Too bad our 'bators are full. Hatch dates 6/20 and 6/24. Fertility still 100% based on developing chicks. However, I know better than to count the chicks before they hatch!
Now, the long wait begins...21 days is an AWFULLY long time when one is waiting on chicks...!

Back
Top Bottom