Illinois...

Oh thank you!

That is our first OEGB that we rescued from tractor supply our first year with chickens. They had gotten in too many bantams and we're out if brooder space. This tiny little bird named kept getting squished so we brought him home and nursed him back to health. We named him Nugget. We did eventually re-home him the next spring as he didn't get along with our other cockerals. He went to a great home with a doting family and his own flock!

It was very hard to let him go.

We have since hatched a self blue hen, named Crocket(a mink killed her last fall), a black pair, Minnie and Mickey,(unfortunately Mickey was killed I believe by a fox but we don't know for sure). Before Mickey was killed he fathered two beautiful little black/self blue split girls with Crocket. Unfortunately last summer one of the two girls drowned in a freak accident when the rain partially filled an old stock tank on our property. The other hen is alive and well and named Polly.

We also were given three other OEGB by another BYCer. Their coop wasn't keeping them well in winter and the rooster had lost his comb to frost bite. I don't know exactly how old they were. The three were a silver duckwing pair and a blue brassy backed hen. Unfortunately the SDW hen went missing the same time Mickey died. Draco the silver duckwing rooster passed away late last fall very suddenly(as in overnight) judging by the way he looked and his spurs when we got him I believe he was quite old and probably passed from old age. The blue brassy hen, Dovey, is still alive and well and oh so sweet.

So right now I only have Minnie, Polly, and Done as far as OEGB go. Well that's not entirely true. Last year after Mickey passed I collected all the OEGB eggs I could to try and get some of his babies with Minnie(something I had never managed to do and considering I got them from show stock that a friendsf father of mine owned- he regularly sold chicks for as much 50-75$ a piece) Unfortunately that person got out of OEGB before we lost Mickey so I couldn't get more from him. 4 chicks hatched from my last ditch attempt. I could tell they were pure right away. I didn't know which hens eggs I collected or which rooster had bred her since they weren't separated into a breeding group.

Of the 4 chicks only one was a pullet and her three brothers accidentally killed her one day by jumping in the brooder landing on and breaking her neck. The three little cockerals are quite cute but cause disruption in the flock so will be culled. They are black with varying amounts of yellow and gold leakage.

I plan to add more OEGB as soon as possible. Hopefully this year but I may have to wait for next year.

Sorry for the long winded story LOL I really love OEGB and can't imagine my flcok without them.

Well lookie there, laid by the waterer...a Swedish Flower Hen egg! Yeah! Now I have 12. Any takers?

Too bad our 'bators are full. Hatch dates 6/20 and 6/24. Fertility still 100% based on developing chicks. However, I know better than to count the chicks before they hatch!
Now, the long wait begins...21 days is an AWFULLY long time when one is waiting on chicks...!
We've got some eggs also due on the 20th!!!!

I was given some turkey eggs..... and then added some orpington eggs a week later to give the turkeys some friends. They eggs are under Jewel - a very large broody.
IMG_4360 copy.jpg
Jewel says: "I'm NOT FAT.... I'm broody!"

The turkey eggs were orig. for Trouble, but she jumped off the nest to adopt all the orps that hatched last week.

IMG_9595.JPG
Trouble says: "MINE! They're all MINE!"

....and today, here's what they look like:
trouble chicks 6-7-18.jpg

Then of course I have a Penciled Rock that went broody for the very 1st time & the next day a silkie went broody for the 3rd time this year! I stuffed both into the same nestbox & let them have a few eggs. I think of it as a broody mentoring program. One chick was out this morning. When I reached under to investigate, the silkie saw an egg & stole it out from under PR..... then PR saw a diff egg & stole it away from the silkie.
2 broodies.jpg
They are so funny.

edit to add: I peeked & discovered that we have at least 3 chicks!
broody peek.jpg

Last edited:
@Molpet
How does the size of a turkey compare to chicks?
May 1st chicks & May 18th poults (in center):
IMG_9634 copy.jpg

3 orp chicks & 2 poults in this pic. All hatched on May 18th, so almost 3 weeks. Turkeys are bigger but I thought they'd be giants.
turkey chick siblings.jpg

edit to add:
If the poults were chicks, I'd say I have one of each gender. The 2nd to hatch is only an hour younger but has always been smaller. The older one seems more confident, but they are both submissive to the rambunctious chicks.

Last edited:
in a couple of months they will be big.... a bbb would be big now(and ready to eat in 20 wks) ... I have cx mix that the body is bigger and heavier than the same age poults ,, but the poults have longer legs and neck.

My orps are also big but I want to make sure I'm raising the turkeys right. I rarely see them eat, but I guess they wouldn't be alive if they weren't eating enough. Perhaps they're only eating when I'm not around.

Here are some more pics to compare sizes. The 4 smaller chicks are from the same hatch. The bigger chick is 2.5 weeks older - and probably male.
IMG_9724.JPG IMG_9701.JPG IMG_9707.JPG

The turkeys had a rough start. At 1st they cried whenever I put them with the chicks & broody. (The crying made them stand out & the chicks all attacked!) I had to keep them inside for the 1st week. They got along great with Trouble's younger chicks - but not Trouble - so they had to go back in with Smudge. I gave them small doses of their chicken family but they seemed to always be crying. (Later by sneaking up to them, I found out that they were only crying when they saw me.) The chicks got used to the turkey noises, and mama Smudge has always accepted the poults, so I think we're past the danger period. They're all eating 50% meatbird & 50% gamebird feed..... in addition to whatever they find in the grass.

Here's Jewel sitting on the turkey eggs. I've always called her a blue.... but could she be a mauve? I hatched a lot of chicks from her & 2 looked mauve at hatch - and later are feathering in white - just like Oopsie, Jewel's mom.
IMG_9795.JPG

Jewel's a very BIG girl!

The broody duo are up to 4 orp chicks. Another laced hatched last night. Here are the 1st three a few hours after hatching.
black or blue / lavender / laced
IMG_9767.JPG IMG_9769.JPG IMG_9773.JPG
IMG_9778.JPG
IMG_9785.JPG

Glad I use chicken tractors for the babies:
View attachment 1421835 View attachment 1421836

Yep, that's why our runs are on the small-ish side. A hawk needs a certain number of feet to swoop down, catch prey, and lift off again. Several families of hawks are in the nearby Forest Preserves and regularly hunt over our yards...it's un-nerving to hear them call to each other! Makes my roosters crow like crazy too.

Now, kestrels are different - they don't need as much space to take prey and take off again. So they are my primary predator - grrrrr.....we've not yet figured out how to protect the flock from them. Although a near-miss with a bb gun surely scared them off. And they've not been back since. At least this season. Sigh. Never dull.

Back
Top Bottom