Illinois...

:lau:lau
Funny ad I just saw on BYC..... and so true! I have way too many house chickens right now!
bird pest control.JPG

I'm "Crowing"! :celebrateGot a new rank finally. It sure does take forever to collect trophy points on here.

Stay warm everybody. My hens are hanging out in the shed coop and seem to be doing OK. We did end up putting a 100 watt red heat lamp out there last night. I'm leaving it there until Friday. It's not giving intense heat, but helps keep it just a bit warmer.
I think I'm going to try to insulate the shed this year. Hopefully I can find some foam insulation on craigslist. I have seen it on there a lot in the past.

Even with this crazy cold - I got 10 eggs thus far today! (7 were frozen, 3 frozen UNDER a hen!)

Even though the sunshine is bright, I elected to lock my flock indoors today. Gave them two bags of spinach (which partially froze on the way to the coop) sprinkled about the litter to give them all something to think about - other than, "Goodness! It's cold!".

All I can say is to whomever created the heated waterers - THANK YOU! Despite the cold, despite the wind....my hens still have fresh drinkable water. Sons gave me two more for Christmas, how did they know?!

Keep warm everyone!

Hopefully I can find some foam insulation on craigslist. I have seen it on there a lot in the past.
If you decide to go with foam insulation, I suggest that you also cover that surface (chicken side) with some thin plywood. 1/4 Inch. I had a panel of that pink foam insulation for a different purpose laying around. Chickens had access to it and ate quite a bit of it up.:drool
That said,,,,,,, if they will have access to your panels inside your coop, they will most likely peck, and eat that if able to.
Right now, my chickens are inside garage in their Winter housing. I have a wood stove that keeps temps milder than outdoors. When not very cold, I don't fire up the stove.
Am planning to build a new coop for my chickens this coming year. It will be somewhat larger than what I have now,,,, but not much. Plan on adding all the features that have been in my head for a long time. One thing I do want to add,,,,, is a HEATED ROOST BAR. With that, I may be able to avoid bringing the hens into garage winter housing.:idunno

If you decide to go with foam insulation, I suggest that you also cover that surface (chicken side) with some thin plywood. 1/4 Inch. I had a panel of that pink foam insulation for a different purpose laying around. Chickens had access to it and ate quite a bit of it up.:drool
That said,,,,,,, if they will have access to your panels inside your coop, they will most likely peck, and eat that if able to.
Right now, my chickens are inside garage in their Winter housing. I have a wood stove that keeps temps milder than outdoors. When not very cold, I don't fire up the stove.
Am planning to build a new coop for my chickens this coming year. It will be somewhat larger than what I have now,,,, but not much. Plan on adding all the features that have been in my head for a long time. One thing I do want to add,,,,, is a HEATED ROOST BAR. With that, I may be able to avoid bringing the hens into garage winter housing.:idunno
My chickens are not getting to go into the garage. No way! Fortunately, they are cld hardy breeds and I have only added a heat lamp due to this extreme cold we hve today and tomorrow. I hope to not have to put the heat lamp in there again.
As for covering the insulation, I agree. I would cover it with some sort of plywood or paneling.

Took a chance and elected not to add any heat durring the cold snap. And in fact, left the upper doors in the house open to the run. I did decide to put up some plastic sheeting on the outside of the run, just to cut down on the wind sheer. My girls are all cold hardy and did come through just great! My heated water, not so good. It developed a crack and ended up leaking all over. A little JB weld took care of that today.

Back
Top Bottom