Illinois...

Hi all!

All my plans are coming together. Making a coop out of pallets and a run that will have a raised bed garden box or two on it. Buying chicks here in a week or two. Trying to suss out the best brooder option. It’s still pretty cold here (as I’m sure you know), so I’m thinking about the first couple of weeks inside, perhaps in an old playpen I can convert, then in the garage. It’s an attached garage but it’s not warm by any stretch. Might pick up one of those things the chicks huddle under. Once the backyard is not a slushy pit, I can get going on building the coop!!

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that the knowledge I have gleaned from the Illinois forum has been just wonderful!

We keep our birds for eggs. I am wondering if we should cull the birds we used it on.
Blu-kote may simply be topical and not even enter the body systems. Perhaps you can ask a vet for his/her opinion. Most products are not safety tested for chickens because there's no economic reason to do it. That's why you're not finding anything about an egg withdrawal. Antibiotics are used in commercial chicken farms (where there is some financial incentive) .... so you'll easily find egg withdrawal info about that. Most commercial chickens are confined indoors &/or in cages. There's no need for de-worming products since those birds have no contact with outside soil, wild birds, etc. No major predator attacks, so probably not much need for Blu-kote (or perhaps it's easier to put a bird down than take the time caring for it.) Anyway spending a lot of money researching the safety of such meds on chickens doesn't make much sense for the manufacturer. Many people consider poultry a more disposable livestock, so there's not a big demand for treating them. It's much cheaper for the manufacturer to write a broad disclaimer on the bottle.

Backyard chickens as pets is a new concept. Perhaps things will change in time. Think about cat & dog care 50 years ago compared to now. Today people spend money on things like pet toys, dog walkers, organic feed, expensive vet treatments, etc. Years ago, you could pick up a free kitten or puppy (because no one really "fixed" their dogs/cats). There were only a couple brands of pet food at the grocery store &/or pets were fed table scraps. Chew toys were any items laying around - like a ball, stick, old shoe, etc. Our pet culture drastically changed because there was a growing trend to treat our pets like family.

Sorry if this doesn't help you in your current situation. I just ramble my thoughts & observations sometimes.

Hi all!

All my plans are coming together. Making a coop out of pallets and a run that will have a raised bed garden box or two on it. Buying chicks here in a week or two. Trying to suss out the best brooder option. It’s still pretty cold here (as I’m sure you know), so I’m thinking about the first couple of weeks inside, perhaps in an old playpen I can convert, then in the garage. It’s an attached garage but it’s not warm by any stretch. Might pick up one of those things the chicks huddle under. Once the backyard is not a slushy pit, I can get going on building the coop!!

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that the knowledge I have gleaned from the Illinois forum has been just wonderful!
When you get chicks,,,, they need to be kept warm until they feather out. About 4 weeks or more depending on breed. If you had a broody hen raising them,,,,, then it is a totally different situation. Chicks hide under warm mama and leave at will.
The item you are referring to is a Mama Heating Pad. It is a good and safe option to keep chicks warm. When making your own,,, make sure your heating pad does not have the automatic shut off, after certain amount of on time.
WISHING YOU BEST,,, and keep us posted on your choice of chick breeds.:highfive:

From the mouths of babes....

DS had a hmwk sheet today about machines. The kids had to come up with a list of common machines found at home.

For each row the kids had to write, Machine Name, How it helps, & What people did before the machine was invented.

Our DS wrote: Incubator.... hatches eggs....used a broody hen. It makes perfect sense to me.... and it IS a machine used frequently in our home.
:lau

I'm sure the teacher "gets him" by now.

From the mouths of babes....

DS had a hmwk sheet today about machines. The kids had to come up with a list of common machines found at home.

For each row the kids had to write, Machine Name, How it helps, & What people did before the machine was invented.

Our DS wrote: Incubator.... hatches eggs....used a broody hen. It makes perfect sense to me.... and it IS a machine used frequently in our home.
:lau

I'm sure the teacher "gets him" by now.
:clap

@BReeder!
How are your quail chicks growing? How old now? Any pics?

A while back you asked about my cherry bush. It's this:
https://www.gurneys.com/product/carmine_jewel_dwarf_cherry

It's a sort of tart cherry. OK for eating plain, but far superior when made into cherry sauce or pie filling.

It took about 3-4 years to produce but every year the yield increases.We're not good with fruit trees & this bush literally needs no maintenance.... so it does well here. My dad found it on sale last year (Possibly from a different nursery) and bought it for me as a gift. In a few years we'll be overwhelmed with cherries!

Back
Top Bottom