Illinois...

I actually try to keep my chickens OUT of my garden. A 3' fence worked for my orps for about 3 years. Then I got a very smart Dominique named Bubbles and a Sebright named Trouble. The fence didn't even slow those two girls down and they taught the others how to jump the fence. They decimated my broccoli and spinach first. I don't think the ate my sugar snap peas, but the chickens did scratch and accidentally pull out the roots. Any cucumbers & squash were carved out into pre-made zucchini boats. LOL I do have some raspberries along the back fence. The chickens eat the berries & bugs on the lower 1/2 and we eat the berries from the top.

I'm hoping to put up a new garden fence this year. I have most of the supplies..... just need some help with the labor. Maybe I'll host a garden party for those in the area willing to help. I'm not very strong or handy..... but I'm a great cook and it would be a fun reason to host a picnic.

I actually try to keep my chickens OUT of my garden. A 3' fence worked for my orps for about 3 years. Then I got a very smart Dominique named Bubbles and a Sebright named Trouble. The fence didn't even slow those two girls down and they taught the others how to jump the fence. They decimated my broccoli and spinach first. I don't think the ate my sugar snap peas, but the chickens did scratch and accidentally pull out the roots. Any cucumbers & squash were carved out into pre-made zucchini boats. LOL I do have some raspberries along the back fence. The chickens eat the berries & bugs on the lower 1/2 and we eat the berries from the top.

I'm hoping to put up a new garden fence this year. I have most of the supplies..... just need some help with the labor. Maybe I'll host a garden party for those in the area willing to help. I'm not very strong or handy..... but I'm a great cook and it would be a fun reason to host a picnic.

Garden party! Do it!
I'm in the midst of installing my new garden fence. I set the post yesterday and ran the top rail. I'm a bit sore today and we had company over so I was playing host the last several hours. I might go out there soon and install the next two rail and wire. We decided to only wire 2ft up. The fence is a 3-rail and close to 4 ft tall. DW doesn't want the chickens out of the run too much ever since one hopped the 6ft privacy fence last year. I'm pretty sure I'll get her to let them out while we are out there though. Then I'll likely have to add another row of wire to cover the full 4ft.

Garden party! Do it!
I'm in the midst of installing my new garden fence. I set the post yesterday and ran the top rail. I'm a bit sore today and we had company over so I was playing host the last several hours. I might go out there soon and install the next two rail and wire. We decided to only wire 2ft up. The fence is a 3-rail and close to 4 ft tall. DW doesn't want the chickens out of the run too much ever since one hopped the 6ft privacy fence last year. I'm pretty sure I'll get her to let them out while we are out there though. Then I'll likely have to add another row of wire to cover the full 4ft.
They will hop on the top rail. The fence will have to go above the top rail.

They will hop on the top rail. The fence will have to go above the top rail.
I know... but I cannot have welded wire exposed because kids and sharp edges don't get along. I may decide to run some steel cable along the top of the posts though just a few inches above the top rail. That should prevent the birds from hopping onto the rail and the cable will be too narrow for them to want to hop onto.

Enjoy the nice day while its here

Screenshot_20200223-131740_Weather.jpg

I got some work done on the new garden fence. I lazily am working around the old one for now, but you can see the old white picket fence and the new 3 rail fence. I haven't added gates or wire yet and I still need to get the last 2 posts dug in on the right end.
20200223_151827.jpg
20200223_145533.jpg

Since I removed part of the pond fence, the ducks are enjoying their freedom. The Rouens are hiding under the swingset fort, but here's our two Pekins out on the lawn.
20200223_151848.jpg

Back
Top Bottom