Illinois...

I got some work done on the new garden fence. I lazily am working around the old one for now, but you can see the old white picket fence and the new 3 rail fence. I haven't added gates or wire yet and I still need to get the last 2 posts dug in on the right end.
View attachment 2034003View attachment 2034004

Since I removed part of the pond fence, the ducks are enjoying their freedom. The Rouens are hiding under the swingset fort, but here's our two Pekins out on the lawn.
View attachment 2034005
Good day for it. I have snow and mud. I'm envious that your yard is workable

Good day for it. I have snow and mud. I'm envious that your yard is workable
It gets quite a bit of sun. My house faces South. The house casts a shadow on the yard, but only the first 20-30ft, which is mostly patio area. The back half of the yard gets full sun all day. There's still some frozen soil, but a gas powered auger dealt with that. :)

Last edited:
Annoying hawk:

I heard a ruckus coming from the bantam coop yesterday. A hawk actually was inside our screened room.... less than 12" from our sliding door. It was standing on the welcome mat trying to claw its way into the little coop. My husband got to the door first and banged on the glass, but the hawk didn't fly away. He opened it a crack and threw a shoe at it. Then it flew just outside the screened room and landed on the grill.

I took this pic from inside the house with the door open.

IMG_2309.JPG

I took this as I walked through the screened room.... slowly

IMG_2310.JPG

I was slowly stalking it.... not sure how close I would get. I got as far as the garbage can, then flew to a tree.

IMG_2311.JPG

It stayed in the tree for a while, so my son got out his super soaker. It moved but stayed in the area. It actually moved a little closer to us when we started cleaning the big coop. Needless to say, I did not let any chickens out all day. It's still hanging around.

I think it's a Coopers Hawk.

IMG_2312.JPG

Annoying hawk:

I heard a ruckus coming from the bantam coop yesterday. A hawk actually was inside our screened room.... less than 12" from our sliding door. It was standing on the welcome mat trying to claw its way into the little coop. My husband got to the door first and banged on the glass, but the hawk didn't fly away. He opened it a crack and threw a shoe at it. Then it flew just outside the screened room and landed on the grill.

I took this pic from inside the house with the door open.

IMG_2309.JPG

I took this as I walked through the screened room.... slowly

IMG_2310.JPG

I was slowly stalking it.... not sure how close I would get. I got as far as the garbage can, then flew to a tree.

IMG_2311.JPG

It stayed in the tree for a while, so my son got out his super soaker. It moved but stayed in the area. It actually moved a little closer to us when we started cleaning the big coop. Needless to say, I did not let any chickens out all day. It's still hanging around.

I think it's a Coopers Hawk.

IMG_2312.JPG
That picture of the staring hawk is just creepy.:oops:

I found a hen last night with her head all bloody. eyes were frozen shut and she was 50' from the coop. I missed her the first round of looking for the missing white hen. She was standing in snow by a snow drift.
One eye isn't opening and she is not eating. Been putting vetericyn on her. Not sure if she is going to make it or not. I'll give her a couple days in the house and see if she starts eating. She is a good broody and I would hate to send her to freezer camp, but I guess it's better than freezing to death if I hadn't found her.
I think one of the jakes
The rest didn't act like it was a predator and one of the jakes had blood on him. But I seen him first and thought he had been beat up because he is the lowest turkey.
She had raised turkeys last year and doesn't take any guff from them. ... But I think she lost this time
Good thing it's going to be nice this weekend to process him

Well didn't get the jake processed, my hip was acting up saturday. sunday there was a semi flipped. The lost load was bucketed up and moved a 1/4 mile through the high power lines next to my property. trucks, loader and news helicopters, so I didn't think processing birds outside was a good thing. The last roll off left about 8 pm
I put the poor hen down this morning, she couldn't bend her neck to eat or drink. Hole in her head , one eye completely blind other could just see movement, crop still had food in it but she hadn't pooped since thursday. Should have put her down right away, but I wanted to give her a chance.
Boneless skinless breasts, skinless drumsticks and thighs =3lbs ... everything else was 6 .5 lbs so 9.5 lb undressed weight ...good size girl for not eating for 3 days

Back
Top Bottom