Illinois...

Covid is way more contagious than previously thought. But it's much less deadly. Death rate a little higher than the flu. That will go even lower if u could test everyone. A majority of cases are asymptomatic and never even cough. That's why it's crazy people take temperature to go in a building, not even screening 20% of infections. Most people sick stay home anyway.
It is however very bad for people with underlying conditions. But make them quarantine not 90% of healthy people. That's why this lockdown is purely political. Convenient catastrophe in election year against a president known for good economy.
Insert legal disclaimer here. I am not a doctor, I just play one on tv.

I teach in a public health department at a major university in Chicago and have an MPH. The mortality rate is much lower than we initially thought but the r0 (that's the rate of transmission. An R0=1 means that for every person that gets the disease they would give it to 1 other person, an R0= 2 means they would give it to 2 people, etc. ) is still high.
With various studies placing it between 1.5-3.5, although I saw one with a value of 5ish... Anyway, because it spreads so easily and can spread so quickly the social distancing guidelines were put into place to lower the R0. Because even if the virus was just as deadly as the flu it would infect more people (and cause more people to die because .1% of nearly everyone is much bigger than .1% of 25% of the population) in a shorter amount of time and overload the healthcare system leading to even more deaths (see NYC and it's mad dash to stop the spread and ease the burden on the hospitals). It's incredibly frustrating because a lot of the information coming out of China was less than great and so we really didn't have a solid grip on the virus and what it could do. We still don't, with out wide spread testing we are fighting this thing with one arm tied behind our back and a blindfold on.
The lockdown was meant to buy us time, which it has, it eased the strain on the system and allowed hospitals to get their ducks in a row. It slowed the spread of the disease but with all the civil unrest and large gathering of crowds I would not be surprised if we see a wave of hospitalizations in the next 2 weeks.

Screenshot_20200603-204352.png

I'm excited about the chicks but always forget about the worrying. One of my CX is lethargic. Labored breathing. The whole front of it feels "bloated". I was rubbing the chest to feel for blockage and chick blew bubbles. Also daughter said umbilical cord came off ? I'm not home, trying to get pics to share. I got them yesterday and all seemed healthy and no problems till now. Not pasty butt.

My 4H Cloverbud group is coming over today. We're going to talk chicken and candle some eggs. (The Cloverbud eggs will hatch June 19th.) I normally would have the kids, parents & siblings here for the class, but decided to only have each kid & 1 parent. That way we're under 10 and staying outside.

I also have pips in the other incubator. (DS's 2nd trial) Perhaps we'll get lucky & I can show them a hatching chick tonight.

@BReeder! Your duck eggs are developing and great for candling. Only one was clear. Hatch date should be the 26th if they take the full 28 days. I know the kids will get a kick out of seeing the ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom