Illinois...

A few more pics as I finally finished making the turkey stock.

Here's the alert of meat I picked off the backs and necks after roasting but before boiling. I turned all this meat into tacos. It turned out like turkey carnitas, if that's a thing. It crisped a but in its own fast and O cooped up some turkey skin with it that crisped up as well. It was still moist and tender, but tastefully pan fried in its own fat.
20201125_123101.jpg

Here's the stock when it was cooked down the first time. I refilled the pot all the way to an inch from the top and boiled it down again after taking this picture.
20201125_162124.jpg

Here's the bags of finished stock. The second one has quite a bit of crushed herbs and seasoning that made it through the sieve. I could add cheese cloth to the sieve for cleaner results, but I see it as pre-seasoning soup, rice, gravy etc. Also, the fat is in the bags too. It's still warm enough to be liquid. In fact, they are too warm to too into the freezer yet.
20201125_215100.jpg
20201125_215107.jpg

And lastly, here's the biproduct. Bones, scraps of meat (mostly from the necks which are difficult to pick meat from) and vegetables. I wish I had a good use for this. I once blended it all into meal with my Ninja and then mixed it with cooked rice to produce dog food. That's when I had a real dog instead of a large barking squirrel. I thought today about taking the bones and turning them into meal with the Ninja top use as a garden soil amendment. DD is sleeping though so I decided to not bother this time. The meat is a waste. At this point there are too many tiny bits of bone mixed into the meat for me to bother separated it. The only other idea I came up with is to bag and freeze this and add it to a future pot of stock. I might try that next time too. Today it all ended up in the trash though.
20201125_215149.jpg

"All the detailed instruction "....... you trying to say something lol
Just that I am a self-taught cook with a loooong way to go, lol! Need all the help I can get. I watch cooking shows with my finger on the pause button bc they go so fast! I wouldn't have known to cook down the broth twice like you do to intensify the flavors, can't wait to try it! No wonder mine is always so insipid. Thanks!

Because it's getting colder, it's a little easier to break a broody. It may take as little as kicking her off the nest a couple times a day & putting her outside in the cold. (If not an all-out, full, determined, screeching broody, she will sense the cold and hold off for a couple months.) If stubborn, she may need a wire bottom cage for a while. It's impossible to "fully break her." It's genetics and those hens that like to go broody, will continue to go broody. Some more frequent than others, but broody fever will strike again. You just can't predict when.

My Cookie goes broody all the time. She's a good mama too and hatched most of my flock. The easiest broody was one of my flock leaders (Princess). She passed her high pecking order along to her chicks. It was funny to see all the hens move out of the way when a tiny chick approached the feeder. (The other hens knew Princess was not far behind!) Like clockwork, Princess only went broody once a year in June.
Our Lav Orp is named Princess. 😀

Just that I am a self-taught cook with a loooong way to go, lol! Need all the help I can get. I watch cooking shows with my finger on the pause button bc they go so fast! I wouldn't have known to cook down the broth twice like you do to intensify the flavors, can't wait to try it! No wonder mine is always so insipid. Thanks!
Stay at it. The more you challenge yourself in coming the better you are. Look up duck cassoulet. That was my hardest challenge so far. It was a Mother's Day dinner for my wife that took three days to make. Bread making is a lot of fun, and typically not as expensive. Simple things like making stock are just as good for your culinary development though. There's a chef who makes people cook a perfect egg as part of his interview to get a position on his kitchen staff. It goes to show that there's technique and skill even in cooking simple foods.

Stay at it. The more you challenge yourself in coming the better you are. Look up duck cassoulet. That was my hardest challenge so far. It was a Mother's Day dinner for my wife that took three days to make. Bread making is a lot of fun, and typically not as expensive. Simple things like making stock are just as good for your culinary development though. There's a chef who makes people cook a perfect egg as part of his interview to get a position on his kitchen staff. It goes to show that there's technique and skill even in cooking simple foods.
I have made my own delicious 50% whole wheat bread for years, the challenge now is arthritis in my shoulders requires me to find no knead recipes! I also make my own yogurt. And recently learned how to make a perfect sunny-side-up egg with no grease and fully cooked (not slimy!) white. Next challenge: perfect poached! Also working on bechamel and cheese sauces, and a caramel sauce that stays smooth, even in our humidity! Sigh, so many challenges, so little lifetime, lol! 🤣

View attachment 2425394
This is embarrassing......I had to have my dad get some at the store today. He told the cashier that is was for a lady with almost 50 chickens. She laughed.

I still have to buy eggs regularly. And it's annoying because so many of my friends are like "what are you gonna do with all those eggs!?!?" Ummm, my family eats a dozen a day on a normal day. That doesn't include baking or giving away any. Even when all 12 of mine are laying we'll probably have to buy some. Boo. I must need more chickens!!

I have made my own delicious 50% whole wheat bread for years, the challenge now is arthritis in my shoulders requires me to find no knead recipes! I also make my own yogurt. And recently learned how to make a perfect sunny-side-up egg with no grease and fully cooked (not slimy!) white. Next challenge: perfect poached! Also working on bechamel and cheese sauces, and a caramel sauce that stays smooth, even in our humidity! Sigh, so many challenges, so little lifetime, lol! 🤣
Bread machine kneads the bread for you. Maybe you can find a used one

Back
Top Bottom