Illinois...

Happy Thanksgiving! Ours will be a virtual celebration this year.

Another 1st is processing our own tom turkey. Did it on Sat, but meat is not as soft/floppy as a store chicken. This Thanksgiving project started back in April with turkey eggs. I'd hate to ruin the experience by cooking too soon.

Are there any tricks to speed up the 'resting period'? (Limbs bend, but there's a little resistance/firmness to it.) Otherwise our Thanksgiving will have to be tomorrow.

Another 1st is processing our own tom turkey. Did it on Sat, but meat is not as soft/floppy as a store chicken. This Thanksgiving project started back in April with turkey eggs. I'd hate to ruin the experience by cooking too soon.

Are there any tricks to speed up the 'resting period'? (Limbs bend, but there's a little resistance/firmness to it.) Otherwise our Thanksgiving will have to be tomorrow.
Buttermilk should help. It's an old trick used in chicken and even calamari. The enzymes break down the tissue a bit, softening it. Soak as long as you can given it's already cooking day. Rinse and pat dry before baking.

I usually rest Saturday to Thursday, I will say the ones that I rested for 10 days were better.

Bread machine kneads the bread for you. Maybe you can find a used one
I have one, thanks. When I bake my own, I make five loaves at a time so I can give one away and put a couple in the freezer. I deally, then, I only had to bake once a week. Bread machine required baking daily.

I'm thankful for this!!

PXL_20201126_234756636.NIGHT.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!
It's still Thanksgiving for a little while at least. We had a small gathering of just my brother, sister and BIL, my parents, and my family. We all see each other regularly so it wasn't any added risk.

In chicken news, I collected 8 eggs today! I was impressed. We have just 10 chickens. DW let me know there was 5 eggs yesterday too. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I will take the eggs as long as I can.

Back
Top Bottom