Illinois...

I have this good girl home :celebrate
She does know out and my cat likes her.
Now I need a name. So far I call her good girl.
❤️ I'm happy you found her. She's very pretty and a nice "chill" dog is what you around the poultry.

..... Of course my hell-hound could have given you many naughty dog stories for years to come. LOL

❤️ I'm happy you found her. She's very pretty and a nice "chill" dog is what you around the poultry.

..... Of course my hell-hound could have given you many naughty dog stories for years to come. LOL
I thought I was getting a chill dog. Our pup is chill UNTIL he sees the birds. Then he springs like mad. He got into the duck run twice today and the chicken run once. I open a gate or door and he comes out of nowhere a dashed through.

I thought I was getting a chill dog. Our pup is chill UNTIL he sees the birds. Then he springs like mad. He got into the duck run twice today and the chicken run once. I open a gate or door and he comes out of nowhere a dashed through.
Training before you have dead birds

Mine ignores the poultry. Such a relief.

Good morning, Illinois!

I've been awake since before 6:30, but I wish I was sleeping. I need to stay work soon so I'll have to get a caffeine boost from a cup of coffee. I could already use a nap - not that I did anything to earn it, but just tired this morning.
Caffeine is very helpful.
I get up around 5 and want a nap around 10.

Annie, my new dog from @Justso , slept part of the night on my pillow. When I got up in the middle of the night she was on the floor by the bed. This morning she was in the living room.
She is a good girl and didn't have any accidents in the house. Well I did find her food spilt, garbage can on its side and a pet gate that was leaning up against a door knocked down, when I came in after lock up last night. Garbage wasn't gotten into, just knocked down. Nothing in there she would have wanted except soup can. Maybe she was just anxious because I left her alone for an hour and bumped into the garbage, which hit the food and she then bumped into the gate. Or the other way around. She kept looking at me and then the stuff knocked down area, so I think she was involved. Since she hadn't gotten into the garbage I gave her a treat and praise.
She is very head shy especially going through the door and putting on the leash. But I touch her back first and then she is ok with it.
I keep calling her good girl, so that or GG may be her name, since she doesn't know her name. But she sure wiggles at out lol

My 2 pups are definitely not chicken-safe yet either. I can let my older girl walk with them, sit with them, guard them, etc. One of the pups is trying to learn from her and the other just wants to chase and probably eat them.

Got gravel delivered today and I am going to re-grade my run over the weekend. The chickens are not going to be happy because I will need them out of the run all day while I work. Hoping I can get it knocked out in just one day so it isn't terrible but you know chickens, even if I finished in half an hour, they'd be clucking me out over it. LOL!! I have some new garden beds that I haven't filled yet and there's plenty of grass in there that I don't care if they kill so my plan is to put them in the beds and set them to work and hope they're too busy eating grass to miss the run. Then the hardest part is going to be keeping the puppies inside all day. Sasha will be out there patrolling the chickens and supervising my work because that's how she rolls and the littles will be in the house howling their butts off to come out.

I have some new garden beds that I haven't filled yet and there's plenty of grass in there that I don't care if they kill so my plan is to put them in the beds and set them to work and hope they're too busy eating grass to miss the run.
Just wanted to pass this along as a tip. Place cardboard on bottom of beds before you fill with soil. This keeps the grass and weeds from growing thru. The cardboard disintegrates in short time. It also will not affect drainage in a negative way.

My 2 pups are definitely not chicken-safe yet either. I can let my older girl walk with them, sit with them, guard them, etc. One of the pups is trying to learn from her and the other just wants to chase and probably eat them.
I'm not the dog whisperer, but still have some ideas.
Consider training the new pups with a muzzle on. This way they may chase the chickens, but not likely to do harm. I know that if they jump on top of chicken, it is not a good thing. :old You would be in the backyard with them, and serious injury from the canine teeth would be eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom