Illinois...

I'm not the dog whisperer, but still have some ideas.
Consider training the new pups with a muzzle on. This way they may chase the chickens, but not likely to do harm. I know that if they jump on top of chicken, it is not a good thing. :old You would be in the backyard with them, and serious injury from the canine teeth would be eliminated.

We're still in the look but don't touch phase with the chickens in the run and the naughty one literally runs circles around the run. 🙄 At first it would really terrify the ladies and they'd get all flappy which only eggs Kiara on more. Now the chickens are super unimpressed with her. She sometimes still puts her mouth up to the fence and tries to bite it . 🙄 That's husky puppies for ya!!

I think we're a ways from letting them in the yard free together. If nothing else because Kiara will chase them and who knows where they'll go and Sasha will freak out and probably start a fight. They do manage a half-decent "stay and leave it" when I need to go in or out of the coop or run which is serious progress but she's got a long way to go. We've had them about 6 weeks now and they know their names, sit, down, stay, off, leave it and we're working on come but it's very rusty at this point. And of course, all of them work better inside than out but that's typical. Too many exciting things outside to be paying attention.

Xansie got a bath & nail clips today. A packet of strawberry Koolaide went missing and for some reason the chicken turned pink...
IMG_6873 (2).jpg
IMG_6874 (2).jpg
IMG_6879 (2).JPG
IMG_6899 (2).jpg
IMG_6904 (2).jpg
IMG_6910 (2).jpg

@Faraday40 I love the pink chicken. LOL.

So much work here to get done. My day job, the garden, house work, yard work... It never ends. About to start the day job for the last day this week. I cannot wait for the weekend to start so I have time to get other things done. In particular, I hope to be able to till the area the old swing set was in and get grass seed down. I'm considering tilling the chicken run too. They have everything either hard packed or dug up in pot holes. I think tilling we'll help with drainage too as Spring rains continue. Water just runs off the hard packed stuff. I should probably do a run clean out while I'm in there too.

@Faraday40 I love the pink chicken. LOL.

So much work here to get done. My day job, the garden, house work, yard work... It never ends. About to start the day job for the last day this week. I cannot wait for the weekend to start so I have time to get other things done. In particular, I hope to be able to till the area the old swing set was in and get grass seed down. I'm considering tilling the chicken run too. They have everything either hard packed or dug up in pot holes. I think tilling we'll help with drainage too as Spring rains continue. Water just runs off the hard packed stuff. I should probably do a run clean out while I'm in there too.
The joy of having a house.
Only way to get away from it is to live in an apartment 😱 :barnie I'll take the extra work.

I have 2 tons of gravel in my driveway, 650 lb of cement bricks stacked up, some new roofing and a date with my chicken run tomorrow.

I was showing my friend who was kind enough to help me pick up bricks where I was putting them and the puppies were out in the yard. Well one of the chickens wanted to help me and hopped out of the coop and one of the puppies grabbed her while the other jumped into the coop and started barking at the chickens in there. Ugh!!!!!!!!! All chickens are fine thankfully but it just reinforces that they can't be out with the ladies yet. Sasha jumped the pup who had Natasha while I got Kiara out of the coop. Luckily, Natasha doesn't even have so much as a bite on her but it was scary for a minute. I think Luna was actually trying to protect Natasha but I am not willing to bet my chickens on that just yet. If Kiara had gotten her, she'd be a goner.

I have 2 tons of gravel in my driveway, 650 lb of cement bricks stacked up, some new roofing and a date with my chicken run tomorrow.

I was showing my friend who was kind enough to help me pick up bricks where I was putting them and the puppies were out in the yard. Well one of the chickens wanted to help me and hopped out of the coop and one of the puppies grabbed her while the other jumped into the coop and started barking at the chickens in there. Ugh!!!!!!!!! All chickens are fine thankfully but it just reinforces that they can't be out with the ladies yet. Sasha jumped the pup who had Natasha while I got Kiara out of the coop. Luckily, Natasha doesn't even have so much as a bite on her but it was scary for a minute. I think Luna was actually trying to protect Natasha but I am not willing to bet my chickens on that just yet. If Kiara had gotten her, she'd be a goner.
Well that was scary

Back
Top Bottom