Illinois...

This was at my old job 😂
Screenshot_20210416-180040.png

I am wanting to start raising new chicks using both my incubator and having a broody hen. Was wanting some advise on the best breed for hatching and raising chicks. I need one that can handle cold temps I have 2 draft free coops but I do not heat my coops and would prefer not to have too. She would not have to be a great egg layer as we would use my current hens to supply the eggs.
Also how often should "new blood" be brought in? My current roos are 3rd generation in my flock so some of them would be siblings to some of the hens they are mating. Of my flock of twenty-six 4 of them could be the roos mother, six were newly purchased at rural king and 16 would be siblings. I want to make sure we have healthy chicks and we don't inbreed them too much. My coops and runs are currently combined but could be separated by just shutting one gate so if I need to make sure roos do not mate siblings I can.
All of my hatches are mutts the initial roo was a brahma but the hens were brahmas, Rhode Island Red, barred rock and Americana.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I have been researching but wanted to ask some of the breeders here the ones they liked best.

I am wanting to start raising new chicks using both my incubator and having a broody hen. Was wanting some advise on the best breed for hatching and raising chicks. I need one that can handle cold temps I have 2 draft free coops but I do not heat my coops and would prefer not to have too. She would not have to be a great egg layer as we would use my current hens to supply the eggs.
Also how often should "new blood" be brought in? My current roos are 3rd generation in my flock so some of them would be siblings to some of the hens they are mating. Of my flock of twenty-six 4 of them could be the roos mother, six were newly purchased at rural king and 16 would be siblings. I want to make sure we have healthy chicks and we don't inbreed them too much. My coops and runs are currently combined but could be separated by just shutting one gate so if I need to make sure roos do not mate siblings I can.
All of my hatches are mutts the initial roo was a brahma but the hens were brahmas, Rhode Island Red, barred rock and Americana.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I have been researching but wanted to ask some of the breeders here the ones they liked best.
Wow Bellaisa, so much info!
I would say with your genetics you will not have a problem, really it doesn't seem your genetics are too tight. You could keep going for some time with the mutt flock that you have and enjoy perfectly fine offspring. When you say siblings you mean they're from the same rooster, but perhaps different hens? I think that still gives you enough diversity in production. If you're looking for more diversity it's easy enough to pick up a free rooster. As far as a good broody hen I think a silky or a bantam cochin takes top marks. I also have a Java that every year, like a clock, goes broody. Any of those breeds do just fine in cold temps, we really don't get that cold here in winter.

As far as a good broody hen I think a silky or a bantam cochin takes top marks. I also have a Java that every year, like a clock, goes broody. Any of those breeds do just fine in cold temps, we really don't get that cold here in winter.
I agree.
Of course for me a bantam Orpington (English bloodlines) was the absolute best. She went broody every 3.5 months like clockwork. When broody she could handle however many chicks I gave her (various ages as well). Big spread like a cochin - but no feathered shanks & feet to worry about. The hardest part is finding one.

You may have seen pics or heard me go on and on about my sweet Cookie.
Here she is with over 20 large fowl chicks tucked under her. She raised chickens, turkeys, ducks, and quail.
IMG_9339.JPG

I also had a pretty penciled rock. All around great hen. She went broody 2-3xs per year and was amazing when mothering her chicks. (Kept a close eye on them and wasn't at the bottom of the pecking order, so her chicks enjoyed more prestige. ) I heard from other PR owners that they tend to go broody in general.

Wow Bellaisa, so much info!
I would say with your genetics you will not have a problem, really it doesn't seem your genetics are too tight. You could keep going for some time with the mutt flock that you have and enjoy perfectly fine offspring. When you say siblings you mean they're from the same rooster, but perhaps different hens? I think that still gives you enough diversity in production. If you're looking for more diversity it's easy enough to pick up a free rooster. As far as a good broody hen I think a silky or a bantam cochin takes top marks. I also have a Java that every year, like a clock, goes broody. Any of those breeds do just fine in cold temps, we really don't get that cold here in winter.
Thanks.

Well I have 5 broody turkeys and 3 chickens. A few eggs each. Need to put eggs in the incubator and give chickens fresh eggs. My meat mutt chickens tend to break eggs, but they are good mothers.

Annie, I guess I will stick with that name, is getting better about her head, hands and going through the door.
Unfortunately the hormonal turkeys want to beat the snot out of her. So she can't go in the poultry yard yet. She is fine with them, it's them.

Back
Top Bottom