Illinois...

Speaking of this weekend's hatch....

@BReeder! 2 out of 6 duck eggs are already pipped. Due Fri afternoon (6 out of 8 developed)
@Molpet 5 out of 12 turkey eggs are pipped. Due Fri afternoon (12 out of 12 developed) 1st prize for fertile flock!
@homeschoolin momma No pipped duck eggs yet. Due Sat morning (11 out of 12 developed)
Spitzhaubens: As usual 100% fertility. All 3 developed and 2 pipped early. Due Sat morning
Another friend gave me some chicken eggs to hatch. (barnyard mixes) Only about half developed, but most are pipped and 1 has already hatched.

I'll keep in touch with the updates and let you know when they can be picked up.
Time to get those brooders ready!
IMG_2862 (2).jpg

I'm impressed with 6 out 8 developed. These eggs were actually left in the nest outside until we met up. The oldest egg was 8-9 days old, so I expected one or two of them to not develop possibly.

On the home front, I thought the duck was going broody again. She continued to fill the nest after I gave eggs to Kim. She started sitting and stayed there for several days. Then she stopped being so vigilant and gets up from the nest more often and for longer periods of time. Same thing happened last year and eventually the nest was abandoned and a new one was started to only be abandoned later also.
I might have scared her off this year though. I had to tack up chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out and my hammer fencing staples might have been too much noise and disturb her to the point she broke her broodiness. :confused:

Traded 24 dz turkey eggs for 24 bags, 2 months, of feed this month. :ya

Although the only turkey eggs I have seen for sale are 60 a DZ. I don't think she has sold any. Last couple of yrs she was selling 20 a DZ.

Got my first covid shot Tuesday. Had a sore arm and even more fatigued than I have been, for 2 days. Today I feel better than I have since summer when I got overheated and then sick in Nov. Hopefully this continues.

I'm impressed with 6 out 8 developed. These eggs were actually left in the nest outside until we met up. The oldest egg was 8-9 days old, so I expected one or two of them to not develop possibly.

On the home front, I thought the duck was going broody again. She continued to fill the nest after I gave eggs to Kim. She started sitting and stayed there for several days. Then she stopped being so vigilant and gets up from the nest more often and for longer periods of time. Same thing happened last year and eventually the nest was abandoned and a new one was started to only be abandoned later also.
I might have scared her off this year though. I had to tack up chicken wire around the garden to keep rabbits out and my hammer fencing staples might have been too much noise and disturb her to the point she broke her broodiness. :confused:
Is she sitting at all? Do you have another broody hen? It's so much easier to let one of your birds raise baby poultry for you. I slip 1-2 babies under a broody, repeat every 30 min until I feel the hen has bonded. Then I move the hen & all the chicks to a brooder. Moving a broody while sitting on eggs can be risky if she stops. However, after chicks, she'll gladly go wherever you like to be with her brood. (Of course you can only do this if the hen's already broody and has been sitting for at least 4-5 days. Cookie was my only exception to that rule. LOL)

One egg looks a little behind the others. I thought it may have been a quitter, but the shadow seemed to grow last week. Perhaps just late.

Traded 24 dz turkey eggs for 24 bags, 2 months, of feed this month. :ya

Although the only turkey eggs I have seen for sale are 60 a DZ. I don't think she has sold any. Last couple of yrs she was selling 20 a DZ.

Got my first covid shot Tuesday. Had a sore arm and even more fatigued than I have been, for 2 days. Today I feel better than I have since summer when I got overheated and then sick in Nov. Hopefully this continues.
24 dz ! :th
That's a lot of eggs!!!!

Is she sitting at all? Do you have another broody hen? It's so much easier to let one of your birds raise baby poultry for you. I slip 1-2 babies under a broody, repeat every 30 min until I feel the hen has bonded. Then I move the hen & all the chicks to a brooder. Moving a broody while sitting on eggs can be risky if she stops. However, after chicks, she'll gladly go wherever you like to be with her brood. (Of course you can only do this if the hen's already broody and has been sitting for at least 4-5 days. Cookie was my only exception to that rule. LOL)

One egg looks a little behind the others. I thought it may have been a quitter, but the shadow seemed to grow last week. Perhaps just late.
I just looked. She is sitting on the eggs again. Who knows if she'll hatch any... Ib don't have another broody though. The chickens have never gone broody in the 3+ years we've had them.

Back
Top Bottom