Illinois...

I put sulfur in the dust bath, and poof the birds, roosts and such. Works if I remember to do it. I don't notice the smell 20 ft away. Keeps ticks off dogs and pants but that is a noticeable smell
Does it always smell or only for a few days when you 1st add the sulfur?

I like the idea of making some hanging bags for self-application. Perhaps hanging 2 on the sides of the chicken door. My chickens hang out under a specific shade tree, so some sprinkled on the ground there would work for summer. Their fav spot to dust bath is the mulch under the swing set. Sulfur-scented kids doesn't sound pleasant, so I doubt I'd put any there.

I must also ask what the chickens smell like. We do hold our chickens, so a brief couple days of no cuddling would be OK. Smelly birds all summer would not work for us.

Does it always smell or only for a few days when you 1st add the sulfur?

I like the idea of making some hanging bags for self-application. Perhaps hanging 2 on the sides of the chicken door. My chickens hang out under a specific shade tree, so some sprinkled on the ground there would work for summer. Their fav spot to dust bath is the mulch under the swing set. Sulfur-scented kids doesn't sound pleasant, so I doubt I'd put any there.

I must also ask what the chickens smell like. We do hold our chickens, so a brief couple days of no cuddling would be OK. Smelly birds all summer would not work for us.
I don't hold my chickens so not sure. Try one and see if it is doable. The coop doesn't noticably smell after a couple of days, when I am in it.

I put sulfur in the dust bath, and poof the birds, roosts and such. Works if I remember to do it. I don't notice the smell 20 ft away. Keeps ticks off dogs and pants but that is a noticeable smell
I have a cool flock and a nerd flock. Nerd flock is in chicken tractor and I move it so they dont get to dust bathe. The cool flock has a dust bath but have no sign of mites. I think just simply a dust bath helps tremendously. I've read up and even bought some sulfur but afraid to use it lol. Most of the stuff I've read say people have used all of the things then ended with using ivermectin. DW got some ivermectin today, I'll probably try it this weekend.
I don't think these are northern fowl mites. From what I read NFM live on the bird at all times. These mites find the bird to feed then move around.

All of the things help fight against mites. I don't want to fight anymore, I just want to end it. I have been way too busy lately.

DD loves her hamster and she read a mite infestation can be fatal for them. I don't know, but I know I don't want to find out. Every time DD goes outside is afraid to go by chickens for fear of bringing in a mite.

Back
Top Bottom