Illinois...

Feeling slightly guilty. I'm at Disney and my friend's 19 year old and her BF are staying at my house to take care of everyone. Millie is broody as all get out, the puppies are obnoxious and the zucchini is trying to take over the world. Well, she says she wants a farm someday so....
Don't feel guilty! You asked, they agreed! She'll survive and learn from the experience! 😊
Have so much fun!!!

I forgot to say we started getting eggs this week! Our buff Orpington is the first to start laying 😁 they're tiny eggs (compared to the grocery store eggs I'm used to) but perfect:love!
The first time she was getting ready to lay we heard her clucking like a fiend and my son and I raced outside, thinking something was wrong. But when I saw here walking around inside the coop, just fine, I told him I thought an egg was coming! She laid her first egg on the floor of the coop, so then I was trying to figure out how to get her to lay in the nestbox. I put a ladder up to it and sprinkled scratch up to ladder and a few days later, we found the second egg in the nestbox! And now she's laying about every day! My husband said it's the most expens😄ive eggs he's ever had :yaI'm so excited; so are our boys- they keep getting into all out brawls over who can check for eggs...

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_175753271.jpg
    IMG_20210720_175753271.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210705_162314968.jpg
    IMG_20210705_162314968.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I forgot to say we started getting eggs this week! Our buff Orpington is the first to start laying 😁 they're tiny eggs (compared to the grocery store eggs I'm used to) but perfect:love!
The first time she was getting ready to lay we heard her clucking like a fiend and my son and I raced outside, thinking something was wrong. But when I saw here walking around inside the coop, just fine, I told him I thought an egg was coming! She laid her first egg on the floor of the coop, so then I was trying to figure out how to get her to lay in the nestbox. I put a ladder up to it and sprinkled scratch up to ladder and a few days later, we found the second egg in the nestbox! And now she's laying about every day! My husband said it's the most expens😄ive eggs he's ever had :yaI'm so excited; so are our boys- they keep getting into all out brawls over who can check for eggs...
Those eggs will get a bit bigger as the hen continues to mature. And welcome to the musical melodies of egg song. LOL

A big congrats to you & your Buff Orp! Only other chicken people understand how much pride & work goes into those eggs. It's a wonderful feeling. I still get a thrill from collecting my eggs. Who laid, how many, shell color, etc. And then comes the taste!!! Once you get used to it, can't go back to store eggs.

Back
Top Bottom