Illinois...

It's OK to have a broody or two. I currently have 6...... 🙄
2 spitz
2 orps
1 ccl
1 silkie/serama

The ccl only got 1 baby. The other died after hatch. Not sure why. I don't know if it got crushed or hurt by another hen. It was a big blue baby.
Just had another chick hatch. But it looks like momma hen is rejecting it because she pushed it away and is not sitting on it. I am going to rely on her instincts and wait it out.

Just had another chick hatch. But it looks like momma hen is rejecting it because she pushed it away and is not sitting on it. I am going to rely on her instincts and wait it out.
I have had mix success with the rejected. And a single chick in the brooder isn't a happy chick. I have had a hen take the rejected after a couple days in the house.
Usually I have had the rejected die or the hen try to kill them.

Today was a good day. We headed out around 10am with Rubble (or Frenchie) in tow. We grabbed coffee and hot chocolate for the kids at the local cafe, went to the farmers market, then to the park followed by lunch on a side walk patio. When we got home we hardened just a bit and played in the yard, then DS and I went to get a fruit picker and picked peaches from our tree when we got back. Lunch was late so skipping dinner, but now I'm on the couch with a cold beer and watching a movie with the kids.
I hope everybody else enjoyed their day!

Chicks return to farm and fleet
20210803_100316.jpg

Enabler!

😀
Very good. You’re really getting the hang of this.
I'll have to see what they have, my layers are getting old and production has slowed a bit. Hopefully it picks up once my broody is done hatching but only averaging 4-5 eggs a day with 10 layers. 4 eggs is my breakfast!
At least B squad is doing good averaging 2+ a day with 3 birds. My old Orp is laying good again. I think being away from the stress of my roo helps her production.

Back
Top Bottom