Illinois...

Now you know we all want to know what it was!!! 😁😎
I would like to preface this with letting you know I am always interested in other people's opinion and ideas and value feedback and input. We also care very much about our pets and do our research before making decision that impact their health.

In a thread discussing winter feed and if you change or supplement feed in the winter, I wrote:
"I mix cracked corn into their feed during the winter. I combine 50lb of corn with 100 lb of feed. I store in metal garbage cans like the pic in the OP, and they hold the 150 lb of total feed. I do this for the chickens and our ducks. I do not change the feed though beyond adding corn. The chickens get the same balanced feed year round and the ducks are on meat bird year round with peas as supplement for niacin. The only other changes in feed are a lot of "treats" in the late summer and early Fall (now) because the scraps from cleaning the garden go to the birds. I like to think they are getting a lot of nutrition from the overgrown and overripe produce along with the weeds, some garden plant leaves and stems and the grass."

Another member quoted my post and wrote:
"You are cutting their Vitamins, Macro and Trace Minerals dramatically with this method. Plus you are altering the energy : protein ratio which will result in fat birds. Fat birds don't lay well when they return to production. Just stick with the complete feed and provide it free choice for them."

So I replied with:
"I appreciate the input, and respect your right to your opinion. I don't appreciate being told what to do though. You have a right to your opinion, but not a right to impose it on me.
I am happy with my birds putting on fat in the winter. That is actually the intent. I get plenty of eggs here in the Spring, Summer and Fall. The birds lay well in my opinion. And the added calories in their feed support biothermal energy transfer to keep my birds warm even in wind chills down to -40F here. They quickly shed that added fat in the Spring when the added corn is removed from their feed.
As for cutting vitamins, macro and trace minerals, my birds have access to feed constantly and are not dumb. If they need more feed, they eat it and leave to corn to the side. If they need calcium, they eat oyster shell. Also, their grit is a mineral based gravel that supports their health while aiding in their digestion.
As for, "Just stick with the complete feed and provide it free choice for them." It's high time you just stick with your opinion and leave me with my free choice."

Look at you! I was replying and you already went out found it. LOL. You crafty detective.

It took me a few tries to find it because I didn't expect drama in that thread so I skipped it the first time and kept looking for something about politics or scandal. Just goes to show you that for any topic available, there will be someone out there to ruffle feathers.

I would like to preface this with letting you know I am always interested in other people's opinion and ideas and value feedback and input. We also care very much about our pets and do our research before making decision that impact their health.

In a thread discussing winter feed and if you change or supplement feed in the winter, I wrote:
"I mix cracked corn into their feed during the winter. I combine 50lb of corn with 100 lb of feed. I store in metal garbage cans like the pic in the OP, and they hold the 150 lb of total feed. I do this for the chickens and our ducks. I do not change the feed though beyond adding corn. The chickens get the same balanced feed year round and the ducks are on meat bird year round with peas as supplement for niacin. The only other changes in feed are a lot of "treats" in the late summer and early Fall (now) because the scraps from cleaning the garden go to the birds. I like to think they are getting a lot of nutrition from the overgrown and overripe produce along with the weeds, some garden plant leaves and stems and the grass."

Another member quoted my post and wrote:
"You are cutting their Vitamins, Macro and Trace Minerals dramatically with this method. Plus you are altering the energy : protein ratio which will result in fat birds. Fat birds don't lay well when they return to production. Just stick with the complete feed and provide it free choice for them."

So I replied with:
"I appreciate the input, and respect your right to your opinion. I don't appreciate being told what to do though. You have a right to your opinion, but not a right to impose it on me.
I am happy with my birds putting on fat in the winter. That is actually the intent. I get plenty of eggs here in the Spring, Summer and Fall. The birds lay well in my opinion. And the added calories in their feed support biothermal energy transfer to keep my birds warm even in wind chills down to -40F here. They quickly shed that added fat in the Spring when the added corn is removed from their feed.
As for cutting vitamins, macro and trace minerals, my birds have access to feed constantly and are not dumb. If they need more feed, they eat it and leave to corn to the side. If they need calcium, they eat oyster shell. Also, their grit is a mineral based gravel that supports their health while aiding in their digestion.
As for, "Just stick with the complete feed and provide it free choice for them." It's high time you just stick with your opinion and leave me with my free choice."
Is that all it was?!
Don't worry. It's just a disagreement over opinions. There are many philosophies on how to raise chickens. No one way is perfect for everyone, every breed, every location, and every situation.

But I must quote my dear MIL now:
"It's not MY way of doing things; it's just the RIGHT way of doing things." (She was bit stubborn with strong OCD, rituals, and floors clean enough for surgery.) When that phrase came out, everyone knew there was no changing her mind! Sadly she's suffering from Alzheimer's now but that phrase still comes out sometimes. :)

Look at you! I was replying and you already went out found it. LOL. You crafty detective.
Usually they give a warning PM. Don't ask how I know :oops:.
I do know people who went to Byc jail for awhile, because they kept it up.
But that wasn't too bad, I agree don't PM them. You might think about ignoring them if they get to you.

Actually conventional wisdom is 10% treats. But my grandparents didn't even feed the chickens, they ate what the other livestock spilt

Not sure of individual member ban, but I believe there have been cases of threads being shut down due to bickering.

I recommend no PMs to that member. Better to avoid the stress and hassle

Usually they give a warning PM. Don't ask how I know :oops:.
I do know people who went to Byc jail for awhile, because they kept it up.
But that wasn't too bad, I agree don't PM them. You might think about ignoring them if they get to you.

Actually conventional wisdom is 10% treats. But my grandparents didn't even feed the chickens, they ate what the other livestock spilt
PMing the person was not a concideration of mine. I was not planning to drag or an argument.

Can you get banned on BYC?
Usually you would get what I think is called an "infraction" never got one, just read about this. I think if you click in this position, it shows up there. :idunno
image_2021-09-21_153748.png

You might think about ignoring them if they get to you.
I ran across peeps posting unpleasant things. I remember a handful of those,,, and I simply never read their posts. There aren't many, but those are the ones I simply pass over in thread postings.

Usually you would get what I think is called an "infraction" never got one, just read about this. I think if you click in this position, it shows up there. :idunno
View attachment 2841614

I ran across peeps posting unpleasant things. I remember a handful of those,,, and I simply never read their posts. There aren't many, but those are the ones I simply pass over in thread postings.
There was one person in chat threads that would post the same things every few weeks. Never took advise, never changed anything and couldn't figure out why the same thing kept happening and what should she do. Everyone kept telling her the same thing. Also No punctuation, and a post would take up 3 pieces of paper. After a couple years I couldn't take it anymore and hit ignore.

On my phone it's a warning...it wasn't for the person I was talking about above... I didn't want another one lol
Screenshot_20210921-171927.png

Last edited:
There was one person in chat threads that would post the same things every few weeks. Never took advise, never changed anything and couldn't figure out why the same thing kept happening and what should she do. Everyone kept telling her the same thing. Also No punctuation, and a post would take up 3 pieces of paper. After a couple years I couldn't take it anymore and hit ignore.

On my phone it's a warning...it wasn't for the person I was talking about above... I didn't want another one lol
View attachment 2841699
The warning has points. That's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom