Illinois...

Ugly chicken!
My poor pullet is molting. She looks like a naked neck! Her head and neck are all pins. I told her this is not the time of year to look like a turkey.
IMG_9065 (2).JPG

Meanwhile my birds are playing "how many pounds of poultry can this shelf hold?"
We're up to 1 turkey, 3 very large orpingtons, 2 Legohorns, and 1 serama. (He's hiding under the fluffy hens) Notice how I had to tie some extra support to the roof? I was afraid the shelf might bend. Also notice how the roost below is practically empty?!
IMG_9070 (2).JPG

Check F & F for a heated horse bucket for your ducks. They come in 10 quart and 5 gallon sizes that allow your ducks to immerse their heads.
I thought about this, but found the heated buckets to be too tall and too narrow. I ended up getting a 16 gallon rubber feed pan and a 250 watt bird bag deicer that's good for up to 30 gallons (same one @Faraday40 has I think). Also, I decided to go check out the R. P. Home and Harvest in Morris instead of going to Farm and Fleet. I will say I like Farm and Fleet better.

400.jpg
71zSgjCDEfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ugly chicken!
My poor pullet is molting. She looks like a naked neck! Her head and neck are all pins. I told her this is not the time of year to look like a turkey.
View attachment 2912462

Meanwhile my birds are playing "how many pounds of poultry can this shelf hold?"
We're up to 1 turkey, 3 very large orpingtons, 2 Legohorns, and 1 serama. (He's hiding under the fluffy hens) Notice how I had to tie some extra support to the roof? I was afraid the shelf might bend. Also notice how the roost below is practically empty?! View attachment 2912469
Yep I have a couple pin cushion hens.

That poor shelf 😳

1635951736476.png

1635951759822.png

Remember my silkie above?
I was so worried when I saw the crest in back and thought "Uh Oh! Is this one a boy too?"

Well, this silkie just made his 1st egg!
:wee
So happy and thankful, she's a girl. She's been squatting for over a month but the crest is not as rounded as my others. Nothing conclusive until today.

Now I need a name...... Already have a Luna

1635951736476.png

1635951759822.png

I was so worried when I saw the crest in back and thought "Uh Oh! Is this one a boy too?"

So happy and thankful, she's a girl. She's been squatting for over a month but the crest is not as rounded as my others. Nothing conclusive until today.

Glad it's a she
I like Raven too

1635951736476.png

1635951759822.png

Those head feathers deserve a name like Gene Simmons
GettyImages-1210507516.jpg
1635951736476.png

A few more bedtime pics...

Here's my SLO cockerel:
IMG_9072 (2).JPG
IMG_9075 (2).JPG

.... and here are Xansie's serama chicks. 11 weeks old. Still being mothered. Looks like I was 0 for 2 when predicting their gender at 1 week old.

This was the bigger, confident one I thought was male. Isn't SHE cute?
IMG_9093 (2).JPG

This is the smaller, more timid one, that I thought was female. HE is getting some nice wattles, huh?
IMG_9096 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom