Illinois...

I like my NR360. It's the fastest, easiest, incubator set-up. You must add water. Everything else is automatic. The small countertop footprint, easy maintenance, and great hatch viewing make the NR360 my convenient, grab-n-go incubator. BUT: Our homemade cooler-bators still win the prize for highest hatch rate (and over 5 doz egg capacity)!

NR360 Cons: curved plastic makes photos difficult, lid must be perfectly aligned to close properly or risk losing heat, and not much head room. Larger birds- like orpingtons, turkeys, and ducks - must crawl around and can't stand fully upright.
Holds 22 eggs - could be a pro or a con depending on your purpose.
I don't see how much easier it can get letting a bird hatch eggs for herself. :gig No machine to tend to.

My chickens don't know what broody is and my ducks have not been good at hatching.
I have another broody her second time and she isn't even a yr old. If she goes broody one more time she will make a good meal. It seems I hit the jackpot for broody Australorps. Out of 4 I have had three go broody. I don't have a rooster and don't want more chickens.

I have another broody her second time and she isn't even a yr old. If she goes broody one more time she will make a good meal. It seems I hit the jackpot for broody Australorps. Out of 4 I have had three go broody. I don't have a rooster and don't want more chickens.

That's my OE. She's broody more than she's not broody. And she's a nasty mean broody too! Screeching, puffing and she bites when I get the eggs from under her. Scares the others away from the boxes too. Such a PITA she is!! She even tries to convince the others to go broody. Betsy will usually give it a go but she's over it in a couple of hours and back to normal. But when the 2 of them are in the boxes shrieking and puffing, nobody else will lay.

She tried pecking me a couple times. I quickly grabbed her and tossed her into the run to get food and drink. I even pinned her down. She doesn't go after the others and everyone climbs in and has eggs for her to gather which she loves doing. I do cover my fingers but by habit now. I have a leghorn that swears my fingers are her worms. My OE or other breeds haven't even thought about being broody. Only the Australorps have. I guess their coop is made just right for them to want babies.

None of my others have any interest in it either. She went broody the first time only a few days after laying her 1st egg and she's in and out of it constantly. I can throw her in broody jail for days and it doesn't matter. She's right back at it. That's why I am tempted to just let her sit on some and see if that calms her down but I'm a little worried it might just make her more resolved to want to keep doing it.

None of my others have any interest in it either. She went broody the first time only a few days after laying her 1st egg and she's in and out of it constantly. I can throw her in broody jail for days and it doesn't matter. She's right back at it. That's why I am tempted to just let her sit on some and see if that calms her down but I'm a little worried it might just make her more resolved to want to keep doing it.
If she tended to babies she won't be broody. It may stop the need.If you can do more and want more then I would just do it and see.
I just can't do more or I would let mine hatch some. I did buy most of my birds as dual purpose to eat some. She isn't working out she will just be the first to be called dinner.

If she tended to babies she won't be broody. It may stop the need.If you can do more and want more then I would just do it and see.
I just can't do more or I would let mine hatch some. I did buy most of my birds as dual purpose to eat some. She isn't working out she will just be the first to be called dinner.

Yeah but those babies will grow up and she'll probably be broody again. And this is a one time thing or I'll be dealing with more irritated birds who are crowded and pecking. She's actually really sweet and a great layer when she isn't broody. It's just a bad ratio in terms of when she is and isn't. In 2021 she laid 134 eggs and only started laying mid-March. That's not half bad. She's at 14 so far this year with only 24 days in (and I haven't checked to see if she laid yet today but she was in the box earlier).

I like my NR360. It's the fastest, easiest, incubator set-up. You must add water. Everything else is automatic. The small countertop footprint, easy maintenance, and great hatch viewing make the NR360 my convenient, grab-n-go incubator. BUT: Our homemade cooler-bators still win the prize for highest hatch rate (and over 5 doz egg capacity)!

NR360 Cons: curved plastic makes photos difficult, lid must be perfectly aligned to close properly or risk losing heat, and not much head room. Larger birds- like orpingtons, turkeys, and ducks - must crawl around and can't stand fully upright.
Holds 22 eggs - could be a pro or a con depending on your purpose.
Did it turn the turkey eggs?
A friend was thinking about getting it and when the company was asked they said it wasn't for turkey

Back
Top Bottom